iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else caught in this Toyota recall/shutdown?

Started by Night Raider, January 29, 2010, 11:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

I got an update from my dealer, they said the CTS pedal is going to be replaced with a Denso pedal, which is another supplier toyota uses.  This makes me wonder if they're both drop in replacements for each other why Toyota goes to the expense of having two separate parts?  I looked up pictures of both and they do look different, my guess is we won't have seen the last of this.

BCwoodworks
I can assure you that you are right and that as a commercial pilot we certainly don't get trained for every situation but the more knowledge we have about the workings of the planes the better chance we have in an emergency, I was talking to someone who thought on an automatic transmission when you hit the brake a 'clutch' also 'was pushed in'.  I've seen very book smart people freeze, but the best pilot I've had the pleasure of flying with and being trained by is also a mechanic (now that's not a very broad sample).

One good thing that may come of this is more drivers will become aware of how to deal with a stuck accelerator in any type of vehicle and hopefully save a few more lives in the future.

Sprucegum

BCWoodworks; Since you are smart enough to read and join in the Forestry Forum I have every confidence you will survive  8)  8)

DouginUtah

I wouldn't want to be considered one of those conspiracy theorist nuts but I've heard it said that GM is owned by the Federal government and it was the Federal government which required that Toyota shut down. Do you think this will help GM sales?  :D

Remember the problem Jeep had a few years ago? Turns out that a lot of the problems were caused by drivers who believed they were stepping on the brake when they had missed the brake and were in fact stepping on the gas. Sometimes the truth is elusive.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Faron

I wonder how many "stuck accelerators" were really stuck?  I will bet after possible accelerator problems due to floor mats or whatever were made public, some people used that as a ready made excuse after rear ending another vehicle. Not saying there is no problem, but that would complicate figuring out just what was happening.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

pineywoods

This situation is not as simple as it seems. It's probably not just a simple case of the pedal getting jammed. On most current vehicles, there is no mechanical linkage from the gas pedal to the engine. Just two wires going from a sensor under the pedal to the engine computer. The computer then controls the fuel injectors. Drive by wire..The sensors can and do get full of dirt, water, carpet fuz, etc. My dodge diesel has 2 separate sensors, both connect to the computer, which then compares the two signals. If they aren't alike, the computer shuts everything down.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!