iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Toy...I Mean Tool!!!

Started by Shawn, August 09, 2006, 12:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

I won't have to worry about lifting logs anymore. My wife is not as excited as I am.  ???

Any advice from privious owners of this type of equipment will be greatly appreciated.
Looking for an online filter supplier.
Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

submarinesailor

Modat22

I've been eying those myself. My wife thinks I've been checking out the women construction workers. If she figures out what I'm really looking at she might get even angrier.   ;D
remember man that thy are dust.

Kcwoodbutcher

They're great, but they have their limits. I tried lifting a 29" by 12' walnut log onto my mill with the same model I had rented for some dirt work. As the log came up so did the rear end of the loader. It might have worked if I had forks instead of having the log chained to the bucket- bringing the load closer to the center of gravity.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

jkj

Nice!  I don't have one, but I use a tractor with front end loader.  The thing that helped me the most was a set of forks.  My tractor has the skid-steer quick connect which I understand is identical to that on a bobcat so forks were easy to find - about $800 or so.  I can swap forks and bucket in about 30 seconds.  The forks have been far more helpful than I even imagined.

Another thing I did which helps if I have the bucket on and need to move a heavy log - I mounted 3/8" chain grab hooks on the bottom of the loader frame behind the bucket.  From there I can lift more weight than I can with from the front of the bucket.  (I use a couple of skidding tongs on short lengths of chain.)

Also, I wonder - if the hydraulics (and frame) are strong enough can you add weight to the back of the bobcat for balance?

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

iain

If you aint sperianced wear your seat belt and take your sea sick pills while you spin about :D

iain

rebocardo

Awesome, wait until you clean the driveway and sidewalk with it after it snows two feet!

Side money!

PawNature

Most women don't get as excited as men do over things like that. Some even get an attitude about men toys.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Raphael

SWMBO thinks it's very cool, but she's not most women.  I had to import her from half way cross the country.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Shawn

Thanks for everyones reply. I would like to get some forks, plowing snow should be fun too. I seen someone modify a regular truck snow plow to attach to a bobcat. With aux. hydraulics, you could pivot it left or right. After I bounced around a few times, I figured out what the seatbelt was for. If the rear tires lift off the ground, I'd say there was still enough force to lift. You would have to find enough counterweight to balance your load.
Shawn...

Ed

Shawn, Nice machine!
It won't be long & you will wonder how you lived without it!
You will definately need to get a set of forks. I use 42" on mine and the seem to be just right for the lift capacity of the machine. If you are going to counterweight it, check with a Bobcat dealer. The factory ones clamp on the rear axle tubes.
Snow removal can be fun, but you get cold real quick! I did make a snow blade for mine, 6' wide, it was off a Jeep. The power angle was also hooked up. It worked real good until you had a large area to plow, the Bobcat just won't go fast enough to throw the snow back like you can with a truck. I sold it and bought a "snow bucket".
Then I got smarter & bought a plow for my truck, I only use the Bobcat for moving the snowbanks back if necessary.

Ed

Modat22

Quote from: Shawn on August 10, 2006, 12:22:28 AM
Thanks for everyones reply. I would like to get some forks, plowing snow should be fun too. I seen someone modify a regular truck snow plow to attach to a bobcat. With aux. hydraulics, you could pivot it left or right. After I bounced around a few times, I figured out what the seatbelt was for. If the rear tires lift off the ground, I'd say there was still enough force to lift. You would have to find enough counterweight to balance your load.
Shawn...

Just find an old 250 or 500 gallon propane tank and cut a snow plow out of the side of it  ;D
remember man that thy are dust.

mike_van

Now, here's a bizzare twist - My wife thinks we need one, but it's about the last thing i'd buy - Good luck with it Shawn, hope it works out well - They just never rang my bell - At 6' 2" and back problems, climbing in & out would be a chore. I ran one once, I guess you're well protected in there, but me, I felt trapped. Add to that the bouncing, bucking, tearing up the turf, and thats all she wrote - Just me, some people love 'em, so don't be  >:(  You'll never have to worry about me outbidding anybody on one -  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Furby

Um Mike, have your wife buy me one and we'll all be happy! ;D

GregS

Wait until the wife sees the big rocks you can move about.... 8).  Soon she will point where she wants it and what end faces up ;D.

Shawn

Hey mike,
Kind of reminds me of that robot in aliens. The one Sigourney Weaver was in fighting the alien. Kinnd sorta anyways.
Shawn...

scsmith42

Shawn, nice toy!

Re advice, as previously mentioned - always wear the seat belt.
Also, maintenance on Bobcats can be a chore.  Keep your fluids and filters changed on a frequent basis, and use a premium hydraulic fluid.  Lubrication Engineers makes one that will probably reduce the hydraulic temp by 20 degrees or more - it's worth it if the machine has low hours.

For handling logs, rather than a set of forks you may want to consider a grapple rake.  These will usually let you more gently place logs on the deck of a sawmill than a set of forks.

Good luck and enjoy!  Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ScottAR

As to filters,  I bet Eggiman could get all of em...  They got the same book I use at the green parts store. 

Congrats on your kitty!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

den

The best price on a set of forks by far was at Midstate Attachments  336-857-2564
Don't know if that still holds true.
Dennis
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Thank You Sponsors!