iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

motorized tool box

Started by Wallys World, February 11, 2009, 10:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallys World

Well after 3 months of fooling around I finally got it done. It is a motorized tool box. I have been working at my present job almost 3 years and ever since I got here I have wanted to build a self propelled tool box. our plant is quite large and there is a difference of 10 feet between 2 building connected by a long ramp and loading dock are halfwy between. I purchased this box from Government Liquidations at Cherry Piont, NC and found motors, tires, controller, and charger off a "Invacare" powered wheel chair on ebay. Ok, now I only have $100 in the box, $125 in the motors, and $100 in the batteries. It works like a dream. No m9ore pushing my box around. I put warning strobes on the front and it has jumper cable hook up for jumping for fork lifts.

Front/side view

Looking from the rear showing joy stick and batteries.

Rear view showing battery charger/controller on bottom shelf and batteries.

Side view showing motor mounting.
These wheel chair that these motors came from is rated at for 350 pounds. The front wheels have 250 on them and the rear has 344 on them.
So far, no problems.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Jeff

Now isnt that unique.  :)   I like stuff like that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

That is neat.

Do ya have to steer it, or does it just follow you around?   ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallys World

I walk behind steering it with the joy stick.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

fishpharmer

Must be a big plant.  Aw go ahead and add a seat.

Very innovative.  Wonder if there would be a market for Wally's Self Propelled Toolbox.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Wallys World

That's what my wife said, "Do you think you could sell them?" As far as the seat I think a mower sulkie would be better.

thecfarm

That's a good idea. I bet you are the talk of the plant.
If you break down,your tools will be handy.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

underdog

Would have been easier to have just put the box on on old walk behind power pallet jack http://www.americansurplus.com/category/106/ some of them even have a place to stand and ride.
But i commend your ingenuity ;D

StorminN

Nice job! Those are the same exact Invacare motors I used to power the lift motor and sawdust conveyors on my sawmill. Did you wire the motors so their brake is enabled when they aren't powered? That's a handy feature... no creep.

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

easymoney

Do ya have to steer it, or does it just follow you around?       

i got a good laugh with that one.  :D

Wallys World

I thought of using an old power pallet jack but the cost of the battery is high. With this I only need 2 12 volt batts. As far as it "following'' me around, they do make a golf bag carrier that you attach a sensor to your belt and it will "walk" with you. I'll have to check into that technolgy. The brake is activated when the unit is stopped. It won't move around at all.

Wallys World

It's been almost a year, and the box is working great. No problems, drives great, the only thing I wish I had put an odometer on it to see how far it has gone!

Magicman

Quote from: Wallys World on January 12, 2010, 04:09:54 AM
I wish I had put an odometer on it to see how far it has gone! 

Just put one on it now and double the miles in December......then you'll know..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!