iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got plans for a shop made blade sharpener?

Started by jteneyck, June 10, 2019, 05:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jteneyck

After much internal debate I placed my order for a Woodland Mills HM-130 Woodlander this morning and will pick it up at the Buffalo, NY warehouse tomorrow.  It's only 20 miles from my house so saving over $400 in shipping was a no brainer.  I bought a box of 10 blades with it.  I'm sure I will dull them in fairly short order and I have no problem buying another 10 or more, but I'd like to sharpen my own rather than send them out.  I won't be milling to make money, just for fun for myself and friends, so I'd rather save money over spending more.  

I've seen several YouTube videos of shop built blade sharpeners and also watched some on commercial units.  I'm sure I can reinvent the wheel but I'd rather not if someone has drawings of a semiautomatic shop built unit.  So, anyone have a design that'd like to share?  Thanks in advance.  

Beyond that, I'm sure I'm going to have some questions on milling after I put the unit together.  I've been milling logs with a chainsaw mill for over 10 years so I'm not new to the sport, but I'm new to milling with a bandsaw and I'm sure there will be another learning curve.  

I'll post some photos and comments in the coming days of the mill/trailer assembly process in case anyone is interested.  

John 

Dana Stanley

I bought a chainsaw sharpener,  and plan on converting that, and using a cbn wheel from woodmizer. If i had the $ and were as close to woodland mills as you I would get theirs, you should be able to get the 100.00 off as a second purchase, but maybe thats only for the bigger items!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Crusarius

I recently purchased a circular blade sharpener from HF. I am going to make that work for all my circular sawblades and probably see what I can do to make it work as a drag sharpener for my bandsaw blades.

I really do not like the idea of having to send blades out for sharpening. 

hopm

Quote from: Dana Stanley on June 11, 2019, 12:14:07 PM
I bought a chainsaw sharpener,  and plan on converting that, and using a cbn wheel from woodmizer. If i had the $ and were as close to woodland mills as you I would get theirs, you should be able to get the 100.00 off as a second purchase, but maybe thats only for the bigger items!
Take a look at the EZ Boardwalk sharpener. I bought one a year or so back and have been pleased.

D6c

I've thought about making one similar to this one on YouTube. Best homemade one I've seen.
I have a toolpost grinder I could use to build one.  Only thing I've considered changing might be to go with a full profile CBN wheel instead of drag grinding.
Project hasn't floated to the top of the list yet.

Homemade automatic bandsaw band sharpener - YouTube

jteneyck

Thanks.  I've seen several similar designs.  I'm still hoping someone will actually put pencil to paper or mouse to SketchUp and offer a set of working drawings.  

John  

Thank You Sponsors!