iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have been sorta quiet on my knee situation but I am still kicking along.  No, I am not pleased with the amount of flexion that I am able to reach.  I had good numbers shortly after the surgery but I have not been able to go much beyond 90° since then.  I know that I am impatient and want to see "instant gratification" but this ain't happening with the knee stretching.  I really worked hard this weekend and the PT will be here ~8:30 this morning so we will see. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

110% effort is about all we can expect from... you know... someone your age! :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I'm excited!  I hit 108° flexion this morning which is very close to my maximum that was reached while the knee was still under the effects of the surgical pain block.  My work this weekend paid off.  I haven't been told but I suspect that the goal will be closer to 115° - 120°?

My job now is to keep on keeping on with the PT "homework" bends and stretches.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Quote from: doc henderson on December 02, 2019, 08:50:43 AM
110% effort is about all we can expect from... you know... someone your age! :) :) :)
Hey Doc, all that effort is paying off for him. 😥
As they say, it's not the years, it's the miles that count.
However, gotta say, I'm concerned that if he keeps this up, all of us will be subjected to photos of MM in Lululemon yoga tights. 😲😝😨
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

If that does happen we will all be thinking about those good old days and the foot photos. ;D
 Seriously, it is great news to hear the progress after how you were feeling this morning Lynn. Just hang in there and think about the long haul. It might be easier for you if you were surrounded by a 2 foot snowfall and no hope of getting outside, but lacking that, you are probably chomping at the bit. I am sure one of us could host you in the great frozen north for a while so that you would loose your desire to get outside for a while. ;D :D
 Keep your chin up and keep on truckin' (gently).
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

It should go without saying, but we should note that 110% from MM is about the equivalency of 190% from someone in their teen's. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

GAB

Better watch it Doc, MM has not taken advantage of your youth and inexperience yet.
When he does you may be reminded that he has a very good mastery of the english language.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

I Love you guys.  Brotherly that is......

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on December 02, 2019, 03:03:01 PM
I Love you guys.  Brotherly that is......
Have you been drinking MM? The last time somebody said that to me, they were, heavily.  ;D Oh, maybe it's the meds, yeah that's it!

Nebraska

108° is pretty impressive, congradulations I think thats  pretty fast to hit that milestone. . Those Lululemon tights are kinda spendy, I think the young lady's in the house got them for Christmas presents last year.  I think you are better off with sweatpants. ;D

Magicman

This is the best that I could do.  I haven't seen the hospital bill yet but they were probably ~$300. ::)

I have continued to push hard today.  No in-home PT tomorrow but he will return Wednesday and discharge me.  I will see the Surgeon Thursday and be enrolled in my outpatient PT starting after that.

YellowHammer

Oh, those are purty, but they don't look like Carhartts.     :D :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

He had to one up the yoga pants- "hey, look y'all! These ones are see through!" 😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I'm a thinking of ya!! I know what you are going through.  :(   Sounds like the degrees are going good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Glad to see the progress you are making MM.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Do they make them in Christmas colors? Maybe you can audition for a role as an elf in the Brookhaven Christmas play. :D :D :D 

Take care and keep us posted on your recovery.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I overdid my PT "homework" yesterday morning and paid for it yesterday afternoon/evening with some pain and swelling but my PT visit this morning went very well and my flexion reached 111°. 

I am now discharged from home PT, will see the Surgeon for a follow-up visit tomorrow and begin outpatient PT Friday morning. 

doctorb

Lynn-

The #1 predictor of how much knee flexion a patient gets after a TKR is how much flexion the patient had preoperatively.  People inherently just presume that you "get a new knee".  While that's structurally true, it's the soft-tissues that determine postop flexion, not the metal and plastic components.  And it's difficult to get tissues that haven't been bending or sliding to an absolute, young adult, full knee flexion to do so after years of some restricted motion.   If you're getting 110 degrees of flexion at this juncture, you're doing great.  But don't expect your knee to bend like it did when you were 20.  Those days are long gone.  I think you're headed to a fine result, which won't be complete until you stop cerebrating over it!  The good news about the amount of flexion (111 deg) you've attained is that you won't have trouble walking up or down stairs.  While 90 degrees of flexion is considered acceptable after a TKR, you need more than that to walk reciprocally (one after the other) on steps.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Thanks doctorb.  Maybe I am trying too hard but I don't want "what I can't do" after this surgery to be because of something "that I did not do" after the surgery.  I don't intend to be disappointed.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Quote from: doctorb on December 04, 2019, 12:50:17 PMI think you're headed to a fine result, which won't be complete until you stop cerebrating over it! 
He cerebrates a lot.  At least he can.  I won't call out any names, but there are a few here that cerebrate poorly :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

"cerebrating" not to be confused with "celebrating".  ;D

I believe that the good doctorb was telling me that my healing/recovery process will not be complete until I can use the knee during my normal day without "thinking about it".  I am still a loong way away from that.  Reaching 111° of flexion with two Tylenols and a pain reliever in my belly and still in agonizing pain is a long way from "normal".

I still have a very long way to go before I reach that level.  My attitude is that I don't want my future to be defined by what I failed to do during this healing/recovery process.

alan gage

Quote from: Magicman on December 05, 2019, 08:37:35 AM
Reaching 111° of flexion with two Tylenols and a pain reliever in my belly

If the doctor allows have you tried pain relievers that reduce inflammation like Ibuprofen or Aleve (NSAID)?
I was probably the last person in the world to realize it but they don't all work the same. When my back was killing me Tylenol made virtually no difference. Ibuprofen, by reducing the inflammation which was pinching the nerves, allowed me to walk like a 75 year old instead of a 95 year old. The worst week of my life was the week before surgery when they told me I had to stop taking ibuprofen.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Magicman

Thanks Alan.  Fact is I don't normally take anything,  maybe a couple dozen Tylenol a year.  I'll see the Surgeon this afternoon and it will be interesting to see what he says.

YellowHammer

I had the same success with the over the counter Ibuprofen and Tylenol in a Dr. recommended regimen.  It really took the edge off, and wasn't habit forming or caused other issues.    

Since you don't normally take them, they should be quite effective since you haven't built up a tolerance.  

As my Dr told me, pain serves no positive purpose in this case, as it triggers undesired mental and physical reactions, including joint swelling, increased inflammation, and general physical inactivity.  He told me "Motion is Lotion" and the more active I was, the more it would positively decrease swelling and surprisingly, pain.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!