Previous topic - Next topic

whitepe

In today's Peoria Journal Star (Jan 11, 2004) there is
an article about Rick and Laura Collins new b-ouse
(barn house). Rick is the owner of Trillium Dell Timberworks
a timber framing company located in Knoxville, Illinois
and his company has built timber frame homes all across
the U.S. and Canada.   I tried to find the article
on the Journal Star's web site but have been unsuccesfull.
Not all printed articles are put on the web site and sometimes
they show up a day or two later.  I'll keep looking

In the meantime... take a look at
www.trilliumdell.com

:)

PEW

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Frank_Pender

That bar is cool.  8) Thanks for sharing the site, Whitepe.
Frank Pender

UNCLEBUCK

thanks whitepe, I notice on the first page that comes up on that site how the white plaster or sheetrock on the walls really makes the braces jump right out at a guy , thats nice, I really like that look . I unloaded 40 sheets of 5/8ths sheetrock today out of my pickup and carried them a ways and it makes me just stop everything and look at how much effort some of these timber framers put into there work. its unbelievable . its like a passion , thanks for the link it is really nice stuff to be proud of !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Squirrell_Boy

I've been in Rick and Laura's barn/house. It is quite unique and eclectic. It is a salvaged barn from a nearby property and was going to torn down i believe. It is not a very large barn. They mixed new timbers with the old, some of the old stuff had probably deteriorated. The mix of old and new looks good. The steps to the upper loft are cool. They are thick walnut slabs mortised through through oak planks and wedged on the outside with walnut. The walls are plastered over metal lathe i believe. They have some stained glass windows made of some trillium (flowers) by some trees. The west wall of the house is some brick with windows and colored glass bottles built into the wall like little portals. Rick was recently elected to the Timber Framers Guild Board of Directors. Rick is very involved with the guild and reviving timber framing in the midwest. There is information about apprenticeships on the Trillium Dell website if anyone is interested.
"Of course we don't know what we're doing. That's why they call it research." Albert Einstein

Thank You Sponsors!