iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nerve damage surgery today

Started by Sedgehammer, July 29, 2020, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Getting my left arm opened up today. Extremely painful. Can't sleep but 2 to 3 hours. It woke me up ay 3:07 this mornin. Left hand all swollen. Operating on the elbow and wrist. They said about 2 weeks for the wrist and 6 weeks for the elbow.
Got my covid test yesterday for my surgery this mornin. Nasal swab. What a head rush. Doesn't hurt really, but overwhelms your senses. Tear'd me up, head wood spin. Then I donated blood since I was off my asprin for an antibody test.
Our friends who were pretty sick this spring had their blood tested. They tested positive. Kinda weird though, we watched their baby boy through it all and we never came down with anything.
Here's a pic of my swollen hand.

Necessity is the engine of drive

stavebuyer

Good luck with your surgery today. That swelling looks painful.

thecfarm

Yes, good luck to you!!
I sure do hope you get some relief.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

You are probably already in there as I type this, but best of luck today. I wish you a pain free future and some good consistent sleep.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

Good luck today, hoping for a positive outcome.

Walnut Beast

Hopefully your getting fixed up today to get your pain taken care of 👍

Sedgehammer

Thanks @stavebuyer @thecfarm @Old Greenhorn @Nebraska @Walnut Beast 
We're good. Mostly pain free. Swelling gone. Numbness only pinky finger. 2 incisions at wrist. 5" one on elbow. Doc said she buried the nerve under 2 muscles. 
1 concerning thing is the pain I was in. She said that's not normal. She thinks something else is possibly wrong. Plus she said it's not normal to be in so much pain, but my blood pressure was barely elevated. I was sweating like a stuck pig. Guess we'll see what morning brings. 
Right arm prolly next. It's numb as I type.

Old Greenhorn

Thanks for the update, glad you got through it without seeing more of the hospital. ;D I hope this morning when you wake you feel a whole lot better. One day at a time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Sedgehammer

Thanks!
Wake up..... :o
Who went to sleep......
They must've given me an opiate when I was in recovery. I hate them. They keep me awake. 
I do have some pain this morning. Not in the way I did before. I suspect it won't be bad with all my other pain meds I'm taking. 
Numbness is almost all gone in pinky.
Yup, one day at a time. I'm a realist. Never get depressed. Lemons make great lemonade....😁

thecfarm

Well one thing is done. 
I hope they get you straighted out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Are your fingers really blue like it looks in the pict. Glad they could fix you up. I have carpal tunnel in both hands from repetitive work in a machine shop for 14 yrs. The doc kept giving me shots in the casing of the nerve in the finger telling me that was going to help. I finally gave up an quit going to him.
Ed K

Nebraska

Good news, I wondered how it went. Be good and let yourself heal. 

Sedgehammer

@Ed_K that's just some stuff from surgery. They want me to keep the same bandages on till my Aug 10 appointment. That in my opine isn't very smart. 

@Nebraska yup, yup. Thanks

thecfarm

They should know on the bandage. They have done that a few times.  ;D  ;) 
Wife just had shoulder work done. Bandage stayed on for 5 days.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: thecfarm on July 30, 2020, 02:24:53 PM
They should know on the bandage. They have done that a few times.  ;D  ;)
Wife just had shoulder work done. Bandage stayed on for 5 days.
Yeah, I know. Wife agreed with them.... :(
She should know also, she does that type of stuff all the time...... think_not
Oh well, wrong again..... :o

Sedgehammer

Update.
Hand/arm doing good. Just some stiffness in my ring finger and thumb. Didn't feel good yesterday. Took a nap at 5, felt better. Had 4 hours sleep night before. 3.5 last night, so we'll see what today brings.

doctorb

I take it you had an ulnar nerve transposition?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doctorb on August 01, 2020, 11:40:44 AM
I take it you had an ulnar nerve transposition?
that and carpal tunnel. Feels multiple times better. But a few minors. Since no pain really have to watch to not use it.
Swelling was really bad. Luckily surgery was scheduled already or I would've been to ER several times. That hurt.
Doc said she buried it under 2 muscles, so hopefully it stays buried. 

Sedgehammer

Update on arm. Arm feels good. Ring finger is stiff. Kinda sore. Little bit numb. Skin is all rough on the hand where it was swollen. 

farmfromkansas

Any updates?  Sounds like they helped you out.  I had surgery on Tuesday, no bandage.  They glued the wound shut. No infection.  Maybe I will be able to work again when this is healed up. Will have to refinish the wood floor after I get healed up, they said to walk every day so I am going round and round the house. Hurts to sit down, so walking is my thing.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!