iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Normal Un Safe Routine Cost Me Today

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 26, 2018, 06:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Been getting off backhoes for years. Grab the handle and swing out and let go like a 
paratrooper.....let go and hit the ground running.
Well it got me today.
When my foot hit the ground it hit halfway on a piece of asphalt, twisted under and all 209 pounds came down on top of it from 5 feet up.
Felt like 300 volts went through my leg.
Laid there and didn't move for 7 or 8 minutes.
Once the pain left a little the ankle and foot went numb.
I was able to move it different ways so I thought....I got this. Jumped up, put weight on it and hit the ground. Not good.
Slowly got back on the backhoe and drove back to the mill where Kirk was sawing.
Crawled to a bench and took my sock and shoe off.......
DanG what a knot!

Told kirk to keep sawing to finish a cedar job. I made it to the truck and got home.
Called for back up and Paul came from school and Julie from work.
On to the hospital.
Had to sit and wait my turn but at least I had my own room.

Finally on to my photo session.

I asked the photographer what he thought.....he said I better let the Doctor talk to you.....
that got my Goat!

Doc said he has never seen an ankle swell like that and NOT be broken.
He wrap it up and told me to get a boot that takes air to stable it.

Member John Deese is shipping me one of those boots he used when he did something stupid
hurt his foot. Thank you so much Deese!

Gotta go back in a week for a follow up.

So I'm on my way home and at the time this pic was taken I was actually talking to the 
Jeff who had called me. He actually cheered me up as this ankle WAS and still is throbbing like crazy!

Member Tony Tyson hollared at me, bless his heart, he has Newmonia.
Members Wm. Fritz and Custom Sawyer Jake were talking amputation.....I get no respect.

Can't walk on it for 2 weeks. Ouch!

Y'all be careful.....it only takes 1 second.....½ second when you're doing something stupid.  smiley_tom_dizzy02
*****Note to management.....I am on some groovy, far out pain meds and cannot be held responsible for what I say on the FF tonight.  :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Hilltop366

The vet says he's gone heal so they don't have to put him down! 8)

Take care Poston.

caveman

A sprained ankle sure does hurt and does not heal quickly.  Sorry you will be out of commission for a little while but at least you got some stuff to take the edge off.  If I remember correctly, your truck is an automatic.  Be thankful you don't have a clutch and have to drive under 38 traffic lights to get to work and 39 to get home.

Hopefully you will regain your goat-like agility soon.  Kirk is going to have to work at least 10% harder to take up the slack. ;D
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks Caveman and Hilltop.
I don't wish this on nobody.

tree-farmer

Ouch, hurts just to think about it. Hope you heal quickly.

Any body got a good goat a n grit recipe just in case.... digin1
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tree-farmer on March 26, 2018, 07:09:12 PM
Ouch, hurts just to think about it. Hope you heal quickly.

Any body got a good goat a n grit recipe just in case.... digin1
I need a "fill in" Goat while I'm out. Any member ready to step in?  :D :D :D :D :D

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

barbender

I did the same thing right around a year ago, except I didn't go in to the Dr. for it (my wife is still mad at me). I have a real tendency to sprain ankles, usually minor but occasionally I get one bad. Getting in and out of equipment is always dangerous, familiarize yourself with the 3 Points of Contact method. It can help keep you from damaging your hoofs, needlessly.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Ouch!!  I guess nuttin  that you or anyone else can do now except to keep it high and try to keep comfortable.  Maybe some Purple Drank might help?  At least it would match your ankle.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Yes, 3 point method is very important, and required in joins where somebody is watching. These injuries are compounded when you spend a lot of time sitting, then jump down and put a big shock on the ankle. Often, the ankle just explodes.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GAB

Dave:
Wishing you a very speedy recovery.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Sorry 'bout the sore hoof. Heal up soon. I'll ask Ian to send you some Marmite to wrap it in.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on March 26, 2018, 06:12:38 PMMember John Deese is shipping me one of those boots he used

Maybe we should set up a FF loan-a-medical-device list ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

starmac

When I was a kid, I jumped out of a tree, intending to land on a horse that was on a dead run, a complete miss and busted my foot. I hobbled/crawled home. It was on a weekend so when mom called the doc, he told her if I wasn't crying it wasn't broke. Hmm it wasn't straight, but it wasn't broke, OK. Dad set it and wrapped it in an ace bandage, then built me a set of crutches. It was nearly 3 months before I could walk without them. Fast forward I was in a major wreck, and they Xrayed everything, the doc ask who had set my foot, I told him I did, why. He said he was going to have to rebreak it. When I ask how he intended to do that, he said hit it with a hammer. 
Well I told him that foot has been walking fine for 20 years, and I didn't break it on purpose the first time, and I was pretty sure he wasn't mean enough to break it again.

I feel for you, do like they tell you, and it will heal quicker. I am sure you won't and it won't either though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Chuck White

Someone on here has a neat signature on his posts!

I think it reads:  "The older I get the better I was"!

I think we should all read and heed!  :P

Get healed up, you got work to do!

Seriously though;  hope you have a good and speedy recovery!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 26, 2018, 08:23:30 PM

Maybe we should set up a FF loan-a-medical-device list ;)
I've already put in a request for a Magic Sawmill Chair. 😊

Southside

Oh man - you did get lucky.  Saw a similar injury from a lot shorter fall that did not end up so well.  Get well soon.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Chuck White on March 26, 2018, 08:53:08 PM
Someone on here has a neat signature on his posts!

I think it reads:  "The older I get the better I was"!

It never hurts to pull up old saying Chuck.  :D

Southside

I hate to think of the cost of that in SGU's.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

I just hope your doctors diagnoses is right. A few years ago my old partner flipped his fourwheeler back over on top of him and busted up his face. We got him to the hospital and they took xrays and said nothing was broke, but he had to have plastic surgery. This meant a 180 mile ambulance ride, and when he almost choked to death half way there because a bone turned and blocked his air. the plastic surgeon took one look at him and said yep, he would be needed, but he couldn't do anything until the bones were fixed. Now one doctors opinion of the xrays was nothing broke, the doctor that fixed him put 9, count them 9 plates in his face, every bone was crushed. I guess that is different from just being broke though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That maybe why I have to go back in a week for a follow up.  ::)
He said he has never seen an ankle that big NOT being broken.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

I have never kicked a man when he is down. Even if he wears a purple skirt and eat grits and drink purple drink. Now if you want to act like you are 10 years old,nothing a matter with that. But that fiddler player needs to be payed too. :D  Good luck to ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red

Were you wearing Sneakers ?   Do you think boots would have helped?  I think it may have happened because you don't like NY Style pizza .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!