iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna chainsaw advice

Started by mjeselskis, February 20, 2012, 01:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

A husky 365 with a 20" bar is my go to saw and is just about ideal for heavy firewood cutting,simple to work on too. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

HolmenTree

Myself being a converted Stihl man of 30 years now running Husky, I own a 338,346,372,576 AutoTune, 395 XP saws. But the one I have the most fun with is a 20 year old "near brand new" 272XP with a 16" b/c.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

w8ye

Concerning the 365's there are plain 365's, the 365 Specials, and 365 XP's (or XT), this is the way I see it . . .

The plain 365's were open port 365cc and were made up into somewhere around in 2000. In that year, they were changed to closed port. So there are a few late plain 365's that have the closed port cylinder.

The 365 Special began a few months later and in the USA had the same carb as the 372 and the closed port and side chain adjuster. The only difference in this 365 Special saw and the old style (plain ported) 372 was the bore of the piston and cylinder. (and the regular air filter instead of the HD filter).

Then came the 365 XP (or XT) which is a strato saw with 70.7 cc just like the 372 but with the baffles in the transfer covers as described previously.

All of these 365's are rather scarce at the dealers now.
Stihl FS-55R, HS-80-R-24
Echo PB 2400, SRM 2100 SRM 2400

Humanaut

I'm going to be that guy that brings up an old thread. 

I have a opportunity to buy a running 365 for 300 CAD (220 USD) . It's the 65cc version. Comes with two bars. 

I don't mind tinkering with it, it will kind of be a beater saw too. My main saw is an echo 620pw. Have a little stihl too for when I'm lazy. It also appears I might have the saw collection bug.

Is that a good price these days?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

sawguy21

That is a good price for a running saw, I would snag it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ppine

The wrold of chainsaws has gotten confusing.  I think it is chaos marketing. They want you to be confused. 
I was in a Husky shop last week.  The guy told me there are 4 grades of Husqvarna saws now.  He called them occasional use, homeowner, landowner and pro.  Spend the money if you depend on a saw and get at least a landowner grade saw, pro is better.  Some fall in between those two categories.  The new saws are leaned out to pass the emission standards.  That means they run hotter and do not last as long as the older models. 
Forester

rubberfish

I'm with the old fart on this one. That's a good price for a 365.
Buy it before someone else does. And Welcome to FF.  smiley_beertoast
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

hamish

Be very afraid of Autotune, its like that pesky fuel injection thingy they dumped on us in the late 80's so unreliable.

Autotune and Mtronic take 50% of the end user errors out of the equation, mix your fuel right and keep a sharp chain, your good to go.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

MC2372

I have one 365. I love it. I do normally reach for my 372 first though.

Awesomesince72

I find 365xt all the time on CL for 3-400. So far haven't bought any lemons (kow). There awesome firewood saws.
Also find some 372xt or xp for around the same price. Great saws as well.
Recently I purchased a new 543xp to replace a stihl 250 and I have to say I'm now using that saw most of all. I love that little powerhouse. It was pretty good right out the box. At about 5 or 6 tanks it really started to wake up (break in) and pull hard. All I've done was lean out the main jet as much as the limiter would allow and put a real chain on it. It's no 372 but it weighs half as much and handles any logs up to 12" with ease.
If you have a Home Depot near by with a rental department it's worth making friends with the guy. They have makita 2165 and 2171 that get replaced every few years and you can usually score the for $100 or less.

Thank You Sponsors!