iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sad day today....

Started by Misfit, March 12, 2012, 02:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misfit

About 8 or 9 months ago we adopted a rescue dog that had been abused and abandoned. She turned out to be the most gentle, loving little creature anyone would want for a pet.......as long as it was only in the company of my wife, stepson or me. She was very agressive around other dogs but was always either timid or friendly towards other people......until this past weekend.
We had a yard sale and my wife made the mistake of bringing her outside on her leash to show her to some lady. Well, for some reason she nipped a guy on the ankle and slightly broke the skin; looked like a fire-ant bite. The guy was being a jerk already and I probably would have hit him myself if the dog hadn't bit him.
Yesterday, our next door neighbor came over to pay for some flooring he'd bought off me and when he handed me the check, she nipped him on the ankle too. Now this morning, she dug her way out of the back yard, headed through the woods to the neighbors and tried to get at their 3 dogs through the fence.
So, considering the potential lawsuits, loss of homeowners insurance and misdemeanor charges we might face we're having her put down this afternoon. I'll be ok until I have to look into those sad brown eyes for the last time. 

I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

AvT

Twice now I have taken pets that others were unable to look after for the same reasons you state.  It seemed to work both times.  I don't know why but the different environment was all it took.  If you can think of somone that would be willing to try the dog just ask them if they are interested.  Never know.  I still have the cat that my daughter gave me because it was a bit too agressive for her liking.  I get along great with this cat and probably saved her life by taking her.  The crabby dog I took on many years ago lived a very happy life here on the farm and died of old age.  Just a thought
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Magicman

I'm sorry for your loss.  And to think that she was just doing her job and protecting those that had protected her.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

just remember you gave her 8 months of non stop love,something she probaly never had before, her acting that way was her way of telling everyone else this was her territory and your family was her pack .
sorry for your loss ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

upnort16

Sad indeed. Condolences expressed. However, you cannot blame yourself. My wife and I have rescued dogs in the past, one from a basement from which he never left. Of course he was a basket case for a while and grew into a loving, family pet. With all the work we did, after thirteen years of enjoyment, he still did not like stangers. Some of the kids friends who came often had no problems after a bit, but come to house out of the blue, oh boy! Sorry, guess I'm remembering times of old. We lived in the northwoods of WI., I'm an avid outdoorsman, yet I cried for three days staight for the loss of my black labrador adopted son. Please, realize the great things people like yourself do for the helpless critters brought into your life. Some change slow, others adapt eventually and some never mellow. Keep your chin up my friend, if for no other reason than the memory. In time, adopt another and give him/her what they need, your love.

sawguy21

It is tough, we had to do the same thing a couple of years ago. One day I came home to the cutest schnauzer cross, my wife had rescued him. Trouble was, he was very unpredictable. One minute he could be the most loveable little guy the next he was trying to have my leg for lunch. He would lay in the door way and refuse to let me pass. He didn't do this to Karen.
We finally had to give up and have him put down, the vet figured he was having seizures. That hurt, I kept feeling I had not tried enough and let him down.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Misfit

Thanks for the kindness everyone. I'm reading this at work and had to go close my office door.  :'(
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Raider Bill

This makes me sad got me thinking of putting my little Rudy down a couple years ago.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!