iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 250 doesn't want to start

Started by rabsparks, March 04, 2009, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabsparks

My MS 250 wouldn't start after sitting around for a year or so. We took it in and had it tuned up, and when we picked it up the tech said that it was flooded. I drained all gas out of it and put it back on the shelf.

Then I tried to start it last week, and it wouldn't start again. First what am I doing wrong (besides "flooding it")? and second what's the secret to starting without having to take it in for a tune-up?

Thanks for any/all help.

John Bartley

The MS210/230/250 family of saws is known for flooding at cold start. My opinion is that this is because the saw fires very quietly and often the user doesn't hear the first ignition and keeps pulling the rope with the choke on. We always advised customers to take the choke off after 5 pulls regardless of whether they had heard it fire or not. Once it's flooded the best way to unflood it is to remove the spark plug, hold the throttle wide open and pull it over twenty or thirty times to clear the crankcase of fuel. Then put the plug back in, hold it wide open again and start it at full throttle - BE CAREFULL and don'r cut something off when it starts. You'll likely have to nurse it to keep it running once it's running again until the last of the flooding is run out.

Otherwise .... the flooding could also be caused by a leaking needle and seat in the carb, allowing fuel to syphon from the tank into the crankcase - same way to start it, but it'll need a carb kit.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

rebocardo

What he said.

What I usually do is four pulls on full choke, set to 1/2 way, pull slowly until compression, let the cord slid back in slightly, then pull. Fires right up.

Bill

If a saw is flooding - wide open throttle helps w/choke off - if it hasn't fouled the plug.

also you may want to see that the air filter is not plugged up - no air and all gas will also flood it.

Good Luck

Thank You Sponsors!