iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

router bit recommendations

Started by tstex, February 25, 2022, 05:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Someone already mentioned the 2.25 hp routers. That's an excellent starting point. Medium weight, big enough for many things, not too big either. It's the Goldielocks size router. Most come with both a fixed base and a plunge base plus both 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I like the Makita version, but nothing wrong with the other major brands.

Like a lot of things, you'll know much more about your needs and wants once you start using the tool. Many books and articles out thereabout jigs and fixtures- too many really. Puck up a book or read some articles and get your router table going. Featherboards, chip collection are good first steps too. It's a long journey but a good one.

Good luck with the picture frames. That's its own special category and takes some experience to get efficient and accurate.

The advice given and bit brands and choices is spot on. Buying bits as the need arisesis the best way, although there may be a small kit that comes close to your initial needs may be out there somewhere.

Routers and bits are a long journey. 21incher has the right thing going with his collection, but not all of us need that large of a collection. Or do we?? ???
HM126

beenthere

Quote from: tstex on February 28, 2022, 09:19:57 AM
Here's the wood I'm going to use for these projects that I had milled from a tree i harvested off the ranch.

It seems my pic files will not upload bc they are too large, sorry
Resend the photo to yourself and select a smaller size. Then use that to upload. 
Or use one of the many apps/programs (I use Paint) to resize your photo. 
Hope that helps.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tstex

Thanks bt, great info...will try resizing been there....

Ok Guys.  I ordered an MLCS set of 15 bits in 1/4".  I have plenty of scrap wood I will test and practice.

In the meantime, I value your experience on getting a 120V 1/2" router.  Might as well start doing my research so whatever make & models that are reliable.  I would rather spend a little more than less bc no one ever says their "tool is too powerful", so 2.5HP + should be a good starting point, also w variable speed too.   Then I can start buying solid carbide 1/2" bits on the cuts that fit my applications

Thank you very much,
tstex

21incher

I see your list of tools does not include a jointer and one of the requirements for any project is to start with a flat surface and then plane the other side parallel. With rough cut air dried wood you definitely need a way to flatten a board. One good jig to start with after buying a larger router is a flattening sled. there are many different designs that all do the same thing so you should research and find a design that is within your current capabilities and size it to the lumber you plan on starting with. 

A router set that includes 2 bases ( fixed and plunge ) is usually the best value and any of the major brands are usually reliable. I will tell you Harbor Freight routers are junk and after having one go up in smoke. I definitely would not recommend the off Chinese brands. 

Like I posted before I have found a couple routing books by Patrick Spielman to be useful if you can find old copies.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kindlinmaker

Routers are like clamps, can never have enough.  I have a couple bits from high school as well - nearly 50 years old now and still cutting.  I have a bit different philosophy on bit purchasing.

I agree that you should buy good quality bits for anything you'll be using regularly and I have spent more money on bits than I care to remember.  But I also have a very large set of cheap Grizzly Chinese bits I use all the time for 2 purposes.... 1.) to test patterns when determining exactly how I wish to finish something.  Nothing worse than spending big bucks on a bit and then finding out its not really what you wanted and 2.)  For that one-off job you'll probably never revisit.  Why spend money on a bit that will last thousands of running feet when I am only running 10.  As a hobbyist, I would say that my usage is split about 75-25 on bits I will use regularly and bits I will use once or twice and done.  I'll keep the money for that 25% in my pocket for something else I might need or want.  If I remember correctly, the whole Grizzly set didn't cost more than 2 or 3 good bits.
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Larry

Quote from: 21incher on February 28, 2022, 03:33:49 PMA router set that includes 2 bases ( fixed and plunge ) is usually the best value and any of the major brands are usually reliable.
What he said.  And most of these are 2-1/4 hp.  As several have already posted this is the perfect size.  Not to heavy or bulky for hand held work, but still big enough for a router table.  Sure, you won't be able to take as big of bite or run as fast as the 3 hp but the time savings is small, especially on one off work.  Production is a different story, but that really puts you into a shaper.

Router tables can be as simple as a board with a hole in it clamped to your work bench.  Cheap and doesn't take up much floor space.  For a lot of work no fence is required.  Use a bit with a bearing for those round overs and the like.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!