iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just a Slab

Started by Magicman, December 20, 2021, 05:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My woodworking days are behind me for several reasons, but when a Daughter asks.....I respond.  She has reworked her kitchen and wanted to get rid of the track lights above the countertop and I have had a Tulip Poplar kinda one live edge slab for many years with nothing to do with it so.....

I laid it across the saw horses and finished out that 'live edge' on the left side.  Of course it was twisted a bit so opposite corners on the reverse side got a bit of hand power planer adjusting.

It got shortened to the proper length and holes bored for the two light fixtures.  It also got the 'live edge' treatment on both ends.  ;D

Next, I used the router and chase a channel for the power wires to connect to the existing box which was in the center.  You can see where the opposite corners got scrubbed to make the top flat.

I love Minwax Special Walnut stain.

Soooo, with a Grandson's help we got-r-hung before the Daughter got home.  BTW, that is one of my Pecan Clocks in the background, but that was another time.

Another view.  :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

I can't wait to have daughters (in-law) one day.

Great job, magicman!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Downstream

Great idea and nice job.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

SwampDonkey

Looks great. An accent to the kitchen. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

samandothers

That really looks nice!  Great job.  How did you mount it to the ceiling?

Crusarius

That looks great. I may have to steel that idea in my kitchen.

WDH

Love the way you sculpted the ends.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

looks fantastic.  I am surprised @WV Sawmiller did not have you put it back on the mill.   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ljohnsaw

MM, looks great.  Love that stain.  You're gonna give @tule peak timber a run for his money! :)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Andries

Sheesh, for a guy who says that his "woodworking days are behind him", you still do some pretty fine work! 
I'm with Sam and others, how did you attach it to the ceiling?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

He did it with magic. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Two 3" screws under each escutcheon.

Now I have a slight 'problem'.  Notice the identical light fixture over the kitchen sink in the background in the second picture.  Now notice...

That I have this 15" end piece that would make a similar ceiling piece for that light. 

As with the other piece, this one also has PPB holes so it is taking it's turn in front of the fireplace insert to raise the temperature and kill whatever is inside.

This will probably be an 'after Christmas' project.  No rush because the Daughter doesn't know about it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You could cut it into 1" chunks and make some PPB stew.  Ms Pat could make some mighty delicious cornbread to go with it.  Just a thought......

No, bad plan.  Your daughter would get wind of it and be agitated.  You don't want to cause undue agitation.   But then again, you already know that having been married for the better part of a century :).  

Magicman

Why did eating PPB Stew make me think of this song:

Rainbow Stew - Merle Haggard - YouTube

There is also a powerful message hidden in that song.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WDH on December 21, 2021, 03:17:43 PM......  But then again, you already know that having been married for the better part of a century :).  
Only Lynn can sy for sure if it was "The better Part" of a century, but he may decline to answer that on the grounds it might get him kilt. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: doc henderson on December 21, 2021, 11:11:13 AM
looks fantastic.  I am surprised @WV Sawmiller did not have you put it back on the mill.   :) :) :)
That don't even make no sense? ???

Here I am being viciously maligned again and I never said a word. There just ain't no justice in this world. ;)

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

Howard, I did not think you had ever not said anything.  If you put it on the mill, and it is maligned, it will be crooked!   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 21, 2021, 06:00:44 PM
Quote from: doc henderson on December 21, 2021, 11:11:13 AM
looks fantastic.  I am surprised @WV Sawmiller did not have you put it back on the mill.   :) :) :)
That don't even make no sense? ???

Here I am being viciously maligned again and I never said a word. There just ain't no justice in this world. ;)
Howard is saying it makes sense..  or did he mean "makes no sense".   ??? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

yes, a West Virginia double negative.  not sure. :)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on December 22, 2021, 05:44:09 AM
yes, a West Virginia double negative.  not sure. :)
I believe Howard was just a little flustered in the moment. Although he has pointed to my lack of learning up in the southern ways, I believe the proper thing to say would be "That ain't no part of nothin' ".
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Nope, it actually might or might not be; "That ain't never no part of nothing neither."  :o

doc henderson

As a ward secretary used to ask me, "hey baby, which is it whats yo thing"!

doc henderson

A Mississippi quadruple negative.  leave it to magic man.

WV Sawmiller

I ain't hardly never saw nothing no ways near as much trouble as all these complaints about a comment or suggestion I never made no how. :D
Howard Green

WDH

You just ain't saying no about givin' in to such scandalous treatment.  

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Regarding your magic message in Merle Haggard's song I keep wondering if it is the line about "You don't have to get high to get happy" or the one about "When a president walks through the White House door and does what he says he'll do.." I figure both are very true. ;)
Howard Green

WDH

I figured it was the "free bubble-up".  I bet that there are only a few here who even know what bubble-up is?

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

You can't just leave us all on the edge of our seats this way! If it is not the old fashioned sody water brand that used to be popular in the southern area (the cultured part) of the USA, I am afraid it may some sort of "wobble-water" sold in back alleys and behind locked doors and such. Please enlighten us before we stroke out from the strain and worry. ;)
Howard Green

WDH

Old fashioned lemon lime sody water.  No "wobble" in it unless you add some Texas Ranger Stump Water.  I am sure it has been done in Georgia and Texas.  

When I had Texas Ranger stump water with the Texas Ranger in Livingston, Texas, they weren't no bubble up in it though.  

Texas Ranger

Friends are always welcome to sample some east Texas stump water.  First ones on me.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

kantuckid

Quote from: WDH on December 22, 2021, 11:14:30 AM
I figured it was the "free bubble-up".  I bet that there are only a few here who even know what bubble-up is?
We had Bubble-Up in KS back when. 
As for using negatives in speech patterns I've become a victim of using double negatives as common here in E KY, not so much the triple/quadruple bastardizations of English.  :D 
The only southern speech that is unintelligible for me is the coastal South Carolina Gullah speech and some hard core Coonass Cajuns speakers, I'll give up trying.  
A lazy way to mount heavy stuff to a ceiling is floor jacks. The 12' plus faux beams I made for my DIL, their bathroom contractor mounted those 6 beams that means. Fastened 2x blocks to ceiling than side screws into 2x blocks. 
Those are neat lights. We have a similar shade thats larger and the bulbs we like are the globe bulbs which are hard to find in larger sizes. They soften glare as do those edison bulbs. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WV Sawmiller

Kantuk,

A heavy Scottish brogue was always the hardest for me to understand. Some Irish would require me to have them repeat what they just said too.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!