iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I guess more than one of us are doing coat racks today!

Started by Brad_bb, January 16, 2022, 04:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Just put this one up in the barn feed room.  We definitely needed a place for coats.  Not much work in it really.  Just milling an ugly log last year and sanding and cutting the slab.

I also just got this tool rack up.  I clamped these 8/4 boards to a timber and hewed the face and used some pegs that I had made that had knots and would not be suitable for pegs.  I knew I saved them for a good reason though!  The pegs are angled upwards 6.52 degrees.  I made jig for my drill press, basically and angle table so when I plunged with the forsner bit it would make a hole 6.5 degrees.  The lower tool board is not out of square, it's just and illusion created by the camera angle.

These days it's really hard to make posts with kittens trying to run and lay on the keyboard.  It seems no matter how much out of the way I put it, they figure they MUST step on the keys no matter what!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WV Sawmiller

Front view

Top view 

French cleat to hang it.
Brad,

Yours looks a little like one I built last year and have out in the barn hoping to sell at a flea market or such. I built a shelf on top of mine and put the French cleat on the back
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Howard, looks like the ambrosia beetles like to come to vacation at your place ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Is that what makes the holes in the sapwood on walnut like shown?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Yes Sir.  The black lined open holes are from ambrosia beetles that infested the sapwood after the log was harvested and before the lumber was sawn. 

PPB holes are a tad smaller and are filled with frass, not open and not stained black. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

trimguy

Here is one I just put up.

It's obviously not done. I'm trimming this house and the owners ask me about a live edge slab for a coat rack, so I had them come and pick one out. This is actually the first piece of wood I have sold from my sawmill.😁

Brad_bb

I need to finish the other 3 barn tool boards.  The ones above were hewn walnut with white oak pegs.  These other 3 are various pieces of barnwood and will have Walnut pegs.  I didn't have any walnut pegs to spare(I have nice 12 inch for timberframing, but I'm not going to use those, also I need at least 14"), so I went to a local firewood guy and searched his piles for walnut firewood.  I found enough pieces to get the 24 pegs I need and game him some money.  We talked for quite awhile as this is his fire full season making firewood.  After our discussion hopefully he will save any good walnut logs he gets from the tree guys and sell to me.  That is what I did back in IL, I developed relationships with a couple firewood guys who had relationships with many tree services.  Got a lot of good logs from them.  Some had metal now and then, but it all averaged out.
As soon as I got home I started splitting out blanks and draw knifing them.  Got 12 so far, 12 to go tomorrow and install them.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Larry

I turn walnut pegs using two axis on the wood lathe.  Takes about 2 minutes to make a peg.......after I made a couple hundred. :D  They all come out of scrap walnut.

This is a coat rack I glued to the side of the shop refrigerator.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!