iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I have some nice elm for sale.  It is very pretty as you point out.  There has not been one person even express an interest.  I guess people are like elm...what is that...I've never seen it at Lowes...it must not be any good.  I'll have to come up with a project for it for myself.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

The wavy bands of latewood pores really create beautiful grain in the sawn lumber.  It is unique and gives elm this distinctive look.  It is easy to recognize on a flatsawn board once you know what it looks like, but it is much easier to see on the endgrain. The wavy bands of latewood pores are easy to see even without magnification.  Look at the first few endgrain pics on this link to see these wavy bands. 

American elm
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Made a color sample yesterday for a customer this morning. Brown.... :)

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Crusarius

Is that one still very rough or is the grain just that pronounced it looks like it has depth?

tule peak timber

It is a box beam sample worked with kutzall bits, wire wheel, Arbortech bits, and nylox. Sealed , sanded , colored, sanded, second color applied, skip sanded, and rubbed with hardwax oil.
 It is rough looking but very smooth for ease in dusting. Rough sawn pine referenced from the inside for a tight joint. The outside is anything but flat.

aigheadish

WDH- the site you linked to is pretty amazing!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Crusarius

I may have to try messing around with something like that. I like the rough look with smooth feel and easy clean.

firefighter ontheside

I did some assembly on the to be blue bookcase.  It has a menagerie of wood that I had laying around.  That's the way it is when its for my house.  It will still look nice, but its good to use up some stuff I have laying around.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Quote from: aigheadish on September 19, 2022, 12:38:28 PM
WDH- the site you linked to is pretty amazing!
If you are interested in wood ID, it is the best site on the web for excellent pictures and descriptions.  The detail is very good and is what you need to be able to see the pore structure, etc of the various woods.  It is very challenging most times when someone here posts a pic of wood they want identified and the pic is taken from 14.62 feet and the end grain was cut with a chainsaw with a chain that has not been sharpened for 46.93 years :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Fire fighter.  Plane a nice piece of elm and put a finish on it.  even just oil.  describe it as a "domestic exotic hardwood".  A local couple on vacation somewhere almost paid thousands for a table.  and they had to ask 3 times to find out that the very exciting wood grained table was made out of elm. :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

that wood was treated like junk and sat uncovered in a stickered stack for years on the driveway.  no rot and planed nice.  some loss of thickness due to some edge wave.  color and density still nice.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

I spent some time yesterday looking around that site, WDH, and now have it bookmarked, the only better thing I could see/want it having were bark and leaf pictures too. Some of that wood is amazing though, I can't imagine I'd ever get my hands on a lot of it and I'd probably be too scared to try anything with it if I had it. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WDH

firefighter ontheside

I sprayed polycrylic on the bookcase yesterday and installed it in the bedroom this morning.  Had the store color the poly for me.  We just slowly added some blue and then a little black until the color smeared on a sample piece seemed right.  Spraying the colored poly was a little troublesome, especially on the wide area of the back of the case.  With overlapping sprays I would get light and dark areas.  It was fine for my house, but I wouldn't be happy for a customer project.  If it would stay wet for long enough I could blend it ok with a brush, but that wasn't happening yesterday.  It was 95 deg.  Anyway I'm happy with the color and how it looks in the room.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

when I spray I like to run off the end of a piece.  it can be tough in small tight spots.  I know the shelves come out, but it is easy to accumulate in the corners etc.  it looks great.  that is why I did a bush on, wipe off on my wife's shoe shelf.

Old Greenhorn

This may sound like a cheap shot, but it's not. For something planned as 'blue', that looks awfully green. It looks great between the blue and wood wall, but it looks kinda green. 
 Nicely done though and an interesting point about overlapping spray passes. I wouldn't have thought of that ahead of time.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Might look a little green in the photo due to lighting.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

If you start adding stain or color to the finish you are asking for trouble.  i never liked the stain and sealer all in one.  sanding sealer for grain.  stain for color then surface finish for protection.  just remember his handle is "old GREEN horn"  for goodness sake.  and if he was a KSU fan, he would wear brown on game day.   8) 8) 8)

WV Sawmiller

As a follow up to my picture display rack here is it in use yesterday and today at the Lumberjack Festival at Twin Falls State Park near Saulsville WV.

As far as sales the event was largely a bust with 2- 55 daily mile rounds (220 miles for clarity). Rain today helped drive off what should have been a bigger crowd than yesterday. Lots of people looked at the pictures but I only sold $49 worth of my wife's photos and they were all the small ones and no takers for the big ones. I sold a couple of benches, a planter, a couple of crates and an engraved RO slab. My big sale today was going to take his back to a remote cabin in the UP.

The rack worked pretty good but I think I will add another "shelf" on top and build a wide shelf on the bottom to display the bigger pictures next time I do something like this.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

tule peak timber

A simple bar top today from rotten cedar.

terrifictimbersllc

Do I spy a Fish Camp in that second photo?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

I saw the fish camp too as well as the update in the other thread. Man that thing is gonna be like a vacation condo/spa!

Rob you are the king of the finishes. If I ever pulled one off that looked like that I believe I would celebrate excessively all night!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tule peak timber

This a seal coat of bar top epoxy, so a couple of more coats and UV protection to go yet. A price point project from junk wood. If I could get a customer for every piece of junk wood here on site, I think I would need to be 2-300 years old. LOL
I stopped throwing away stuff years ago and just stack it on the acreage and sure enough someone comes along and claim some of it as their treasure.
As far as the fish camp; the real challenge is convincing my wife and granddaughter to live within the 8' pick up truck bed. Without bloodshed. ;D

Nebraska

Exterior poly?  UV protection how so? @tule peak timber 

tule peak timber

We are doing the bottom with table top epoxy today so as to "balance" the finish schedule and totally seal the piece up. The UV top coat will be Awlcraft 2000 clear. A couple of other tables in the finish room were sprayed this morning with the same top coat and should be ready for buff out this coming week. I like to bunch the projects for spraying at the same time because of the prep and mess  :)
 Meanwhile I'm whacking out some rustic storm shutters for a customer.The UV topcoat on the shudders will be GF Exterior 450. 

Thank You Sponsors!