iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mroldstyle and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

WDH

I do tapers with a taper jig on the tablesaw as well.  Never did any on the jointer, will have to look into that.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

I finally have a small project to add here. I built the chicken coop before last winter and I had never built the door to access the fenced in portion of the coop. Yesterday I straightened up some treated boards in the shop and built a door. Finished up mounting it around 9:30 last night. Happy Chickens = Happy Wife  :D

Unintentional advertising for the chicken food

thecfarm

Looks good.
When I had them critters, I would use that area for a compost pile. I would even go on the edge of the woods and pick up leaves and throw it in there. 
Gotta keep them busy, just like kids!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

Great looking coop DWyatt!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

burdman_22

Not something I'm building....its a cabin my Dad is building. He does some pretty awesome work. He's been building cabins in eastern Kentucky for around 40 years. The knot in that post is about 3 ft wide.

Larry

The stair balusters are also very exciting!!!  Your Dad does great work.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

burdman_22

Quote from: Larry on July 11, 2022, 10:22:27 PM
The stair balusters are also very exciting!!!  Your Dad does great work.
I dunno what others call the sticks he used as balusters, but we've always just called them "twisty sticks", haha, he's been using those as balusters for years. For those that havent seen them before, they're just young trees that had vines growing on them. After a few years of growing, the vine gets tight enough that the tree starts to grow around the vine...then we just strip off the bark, pull out the vine, and wham-o, twisty stick, haha.

kantuckid

Looks like your Dad collects what I call walking sticks when he's not building cabins. I have several laid back in storage among some diamond willow I bought on fleabay.

FWIW, the best actual hiking sticks I've ever run onto is the skeleton ribs of a Saguaro cactus. They are light, small and extremely strong and I got the idea from a bunch I saw for sale in an AZ tourist trap. Mine came from the desert and carried a long way by yours truly.  

I just sawed some 2 1/2" thick EWP for my cabins stairway treads and stringers. Might be an idea to steal for my balusters.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

dougtrr2

I wonder how long it will be before some "helpful" guest tries to start a fire in that fireplace?

Doug in SW IA

samandothers

Quote from: dougtrr2 on July 12, 2022, 08:12:37 AM
I wonder how long it will be before some "helpful" guest tries to start a fire in that fireplace?

Doug in SW IA
A 'wood' burning stove.

doc henderson

@Jim Thomas had a little mesquite burning a hole in his pocket and made this bowl with a little real turquoise rock in some epoxy, tinted with Japan lamp black.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

azmtnman

I wanted to build a coffee bar in our church. A crew from Pittsfield, Illinois and my friend from Bardstown, KY have helped build it. Except for a couple 2x4's, this is all Wood Mizer wood. The red oak we made the countertops out of is from central Indiana and cut by an LT40. The pine siding we logged, milled, and planed here.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

WDH

Definitely not the fanciest of projects.....My daughter and husband are building a new house and I volunteered to do a few things like put the shelves in the pantry, make a breakfast nook table with benches, build a 2" thick, 4' x 6' kitchen island top out of maple, put up a walnut fireplace mantle, and build box beams for the great room ceiling.  The great room is 26 feet long, the cathedral ceiling is 9/12 pitch with the peak 16 feet from the floor.  She wanted a white oak beam 6.5" x 8.5".  A solid white oak beam this size and 26 feet long would be a difficult to saw and dry and install on a ceiling this high, so I am building a faux beam in three sections out of white oak.  We will have to build a scaffold in the great room to install unless someone has a better idea. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

One of our son's and I made 6 of the exact same beams from 1x6 pcs that were 12' and a few inches long. I told him he was fortunate to find 12' plus walnut boards.
 His are black walnut and I beveled the two lower edges with a hand router. I glued 2x4 glue blocks inside every few feet. 
He had a bathroom contractor already there who trimmed to lengths & placed them on the ceilings of a dining, kitchen area for him.
 I toted them from E KY to Knoxville, TN. Made a "skinny", long room look great. Took all my squeeze clamps to glues a couple of these up.   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

olcowhand

"Finishun a Commissun":

....and the Back-side....

Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

21incher

A simple wild cherry breadboard with my wife's favorite recipe on the backside. Got the new 10 watt Ortur laser that will cut 1/2" hardwood no problem and it only took 15 minutes to make. Tried Walrus oil and wax for my first time and that stuff is awesome. 2 coats oil then 2 coats wax and a nice finish that is food safe and not sticky like the mineral oil I used to use Now to try cutting wood hot plates for her next.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

aigheadish

That version of the Ortur looks pretty neat!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

this product has paraffin in the oil (mineral oil, no mystery).  It dries nice and I like the natural finish.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

Quote from: olcowhand on July 23, 2022, 04:28:47 PM"Finishun a Commissun":

You make nice "cutlery creations"!

A photo tip that might make the subject stand out better in the picture would be to put more distance between your subject and your backdrop and use a portrait setting on your camera, backing up and zooming in (lens zoom not digital) if you can. This will help blur your background and make your subject stand out better. Try a few different distances and settings and see the effect.

Texas Ranger

Doc, from the background, we would feel at home in each others shop! 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

yes.  but I usually find what I need, unless I or someone else decided to "organize".  My buddy sawdust Jimmy is always picking up wood off the floor to make segmented bowls.  

a shot from my desk a few days back, sent to a friend who commented on the background of a pic I sent.  :)  It is kind of a one-man shop.  34 x 50.

Andries

" A cluttered shop is a sure sign of a creative mind."  👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

firefighter ontheside

Not making anything lately.  I did spend some time in the shop last weekend doing some cleaning, but I have a long way to go.  I sanded a piece of red oak to make a little sign for a friend to gift to someone else.  Sprayed it with laquer and then wife made the decals for it.  Not much of a project.  I do need to get it cleaned up so a larger project can be a possibiltiy.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

aigheadish

To touch on what Hilltop366 mentioned to olcowhand on the photos, if you haven't tried it and you have a decent, newer, phone some of them create an excellent bokah (that's what it's called right? When the background is blurry?) effect without much trying. I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra or some cr@p that does really well with stuff like that. 

My wife sews purses and sells them on Etsy, I'm all the time trying to get her to switch to using her phone for her photos rather than the real camera. I understand control is much better with a real camera and you likely can get much better pictures but phones nowadays can take some incredible shots and the workflow can be made much more reasonable. And sometimes you don't need ultra high resolution or quality for a 500x500 pixel photo.

Thank You Sponsors!