iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

I worried my suggestion of the FF shop may not be explained well enough.

I didn't mean the Sale section, I meant a more commercial site, open to the general public, where all the talented folks here could list/sell their stuff. It would basically be Etsy, so nevermind! It would be cool to see all the stuff y'all make in one pretty site, that looks like an online store. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

OH no, I did get where you were going. Beenthere was just offering another thought. Believe me, if there were a market here for that type of stuff, I would gladly double the FF rate schedule, but shipping is another issue with these things.
I had an old EMS friend ask for one of those firewood slings. She lives in Ithaca (80 miles away?). The post office wanted 20+ bucks to mail it in their box. I made a box, brought it in today and it was $13.35 to mail the cheapest way. I just sent it and told her I would split the shipping cost. She declined my offer and wound up paying $43. for something I didn't think was worth it, but she wanted it.
I just came in from the shop after doing the 'cherry bench inventory' wherein I took a few more photos in group shots and recorded the final dimensions of each bench and put a number tag on them because I am getting confused.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

How thick is that bench top? How much of the tenon sticks up into the mortise? I find/feel less than 2" does not hold well enough. Mine are through tenons if that makes any difference. Have you had any other experiences on how much tenon you need in the mortice? 

I have a couple of benches at a local bait and tackle/outfitters shops "on consignment". They use them in the shoe department for the customers to try on shoes and boots. They have a sign that they are for sale. They sell real slow there but they are stored under better conditions than in my shed and I get a little advertising and keep good will with a local vendor. When you look for consignment partners, remember don't just look for furniture or craft shops.

I share your concern about not being able to get what something like that bench is worth. Good luck - you just need the right wife to come by and see it. (Forget the hubby's they think they can go make one with a hand saw, a hammer and drill. When the wife says "That's the one I want" set the hook. :D)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

azmtnman

At first, I thought OGH had started a new trend of charcuterie boards on legs! :D :D :D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

21incher

Night lights. I bought some led night light bases and just cut and engrave a piece of acrylic. The bases are remote controlled and can change to many different colors.  Great gifts in 5 minutes. 

My granddaughter wrote to Santa saying she had good and bad days but tries to be good. At least she is honest. The other  is my grandsons Retriever.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 28, 2022, 04:15:15 PM
OH no, I did get where you were going. Beenthere was just offering another thought. Believe me, if there were a market here for that type of stuff, I would gladly double the FF rate schedule, but shipping is another issue with these things.
I had an old EMS friend ask for one of those firewood slings. She lives in Ithaca (80 miles away?). The post office wanted 20+ bucks to mail it in their box. I made a box, brought it in today and it was $13.35 to mail the cheapest way. I just sent it and told her I would split the shipping cost. She declined my offer and wound up paying $43. for something I didn't think was worth it, but she wanted it.
I just came in from the shop after doing the 'cherry bench inventory wherein I took a few more photos in group shots and recorded the final dimensions of each bench and put a number tag on them because I am getting confused.

Looks great! Your really doing nice work!! I personally like the slab legs the best. 

Old Greenhorn

Well I appreciate the kind words, they mean a lot coming from this group. I just have to find that outlet and today I spent a good deal of time working on that, at least on the research and pondering end. I am cross-eyed now from reading and flipping through pages. I have also been going through my inventory to see what I have. Some pieces require some touch up work before they can be offered again. SO that will likely start next week or sooner.

Howard. The seats on these benches/stools are between 1-3/4 and 2". The mortise is 1-5/8 deep on the 4 legged versions and the tenons are a close round fit with square shoulders now. I don't glue them, I use epoxy. It is, IMHO, much stronger and penetrates better and I do a follow-up fillet pour to have a nice shoulder transition. The strength is as good as it can be. Also, the legs on these are square, so the load is directly down. I take theses things and stand them up on edge at about 45°, then bounce all my body weight on them to see if I can hear anything. I have even tried to break them, no joy there. They are fine. If fact, the blind spline waterfall joints do very well just as a dry fit and I can sit on them just fine. I kind of laid back on the through tenons because any further wood movement makes the tenon stick up above the seat causing a bump and I hate that. I had to refinish one I gave as a gift and saw it a year later and took it back to fix.
 Yes, I am aware there are other outlets and I have one in mind that I plan to talk to again. I dropped the ball over a year ago and need to pick that back up.
 I don't think there is an easy answer, I think it's going to be a lot of little things.

Azmtnman, maybe you have an idea there!
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Thanks for the answer. Yes, the square shoulders would help provide more stability with a shorter tenon than my through tenon especially with the use of epoxy to weld them together. Good luck finding your special market but be careful - it could become a full time job requiring more time and energy than a proper retired guy wants. ;)

21",

Neat night lights. I like the idea of mood lights. Can you make a couple that light up to warn me what kind of mood my wife is in when i walk in the house and before I find out the hard way? ::) :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

21 very cool.  are those a amazon deal or?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Howard that retirement thing is just a ruse. I don't have a pension or any of that stuff. I worked at two companies that promised pensions when I was hired and both pulled the pension plan less than a year before I was fully vested. I worked for one 18 years and the other 16. So although yes, technically I am retired in the eyes of the law, I have to work to pay taxes, land and school, buy food for the last week of the month, gas, beer, etc. With the economy as it is these last two years, we seem to be getting along a lot worse now than when I started this retirement thing. So it's no longer a game. I have to make some cash to get us buy or sell the house and figure something else out.
 Hence my concern at finding some kind of regular outlet. I don't want to take a job at Harbor Freight, but I have seriously been thinking about it.

WV Sawmiller

Well, in that case I hope you find a good steady market and a steady supply of free apprentices wanting to learn and willing to do the heavy lifting. Maybe it should be  a paid course of study with you as the professor. If you want I can call for an emergency meeting of the design committee. ::) ;) ;D
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

OH, please don't do that. ;D ;D :D :D

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on December 28, 2022, 09:19:04 PM
21 very cool.  are those a amazon deal or?
I found them on Amazon. Bought a 4 pack to try for the grandkids stocking staffers. I am going to buy a 20 pack now that I have had a chance to try them. They run on 3 aa batteries or a USB plug with a remote controller.  These have the 3.15 inch opening 4.5 mm wide and I couldn't find 4mm cast acrylic so I am using 3mm without a problem. Flip the image and engrave the back for best results. Not sure how long they will last but I know the grandkids don't turn off lights so it will be a good test.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 28, 2022, 09:20:23 PMHoward that retirement thing is just a ruse.
Some of you guys understand why a 79 year old fart that got downsized at age 51 is still making sawdust.  Not complaining, just trying to avoid the grave dust. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

aigheadish

Tom, those benches look, to me, like they are begging for a high class choir to stand on them to sing.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

tule peak timber

Quote from: Magicman on December 29, 2022, 07:41:54 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 28, 2022, 09:20:23 PMHoward that retirement thing is just a ruse.
Some of you guys understand why a 79 year old fart that got downsized at age 51 is still making sawdust.  Not complaining, just trying to avoid the grave dust.
I get it.
  Keep on keepin on  :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

olcowhand

Quote from: Magicman on December 29, 2022, 07:41:54 AM79 year old fart

Lynn,
I take issue with the "Old Fart" reference; 79 is not that old (...so maybe you're ~1/2 right...)!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

Making a custom candle scent display for my regional directors wife who has a "boutique".  I finally got the wood sterilized and planed and started the rings to hold the glass closhe.  

>

I  did jump the tracks once and ding my ring.  may need to make another.  they may get painted and if so, it will prob. be ok.

I been working nights, so woke up at 2 am.  I knew I might should wait, but who has time for that.   :snowball:   8)   :)

these are photos from her trip to France to buy stuff, that I am replicating.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

fortunately, I made the template on the engraver and saved it, so I just had to pull it up and make a new circle template and it was the exact same size.  I had a board along the back edge to register the distance from the back, and then clamped the template.  I think I was going too fast for clearing the stringy oak shavings/chips.  

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

Doc. I see a cnc router in your future with all the multiples you make.
Here's the other 2 night lights I made the one with flowers really surprised me how nice the light spreads.
The other 2 straight on so they don't look fuzzy like the previous pics.

tule peak timber

Copper infrastructure today.

Walnut Beast

No pex 😂. I see you were testing that OSB if it would burn 🔥 😂. Looks good!

Don P

Oh man, drillin a 6 pack of studs was fun.

tule peak timber

The front end of the building is timber framed and I ran utilities above the plate timbers. The back end is conventional framing where the plumbing is for a little easier time.

Thank You Sponsors!