iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Meanwhile back at Skylab.... :D The walnut veneers are being set. It is more difficult that it looks to maintain straight lines to a needle point.  ;D

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Walnut Beast

Rob your holding that like you have been in a old rock band 😂

firefighter ontheside

I built the table today.  That went without a hitch.  I put some General Finishes Java color gel stain on a piece of ash and sent her a picture.  Its the darkest that GF makes.  I told her I could try mixing some black into it and see if I can make it darker.  If she wants it darker than this, it might as well be painted brown.  I will try putting a couple coats on it.  

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

tule peak timber

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 28, 2023, 07:40:49 PM
Rob your holding that like you have been in a old rock band 😂
Funny! I was mincing about the shop today with this piece today like a guitar with a few thousand watts barking out of the speakers. Just a sad old guy who never made it to be a spider from Mars. LOL
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Larry

I'm making a reproduction Shaker candle stand, which is basically just a small round side table.  The feet for the table are dovetailed into the upright support column.  Lots of ways to do it, just some methods take real work.  Off in the corner of my shop is a Bridgeport milling machine....should be perfect.  Put on the dividing head and turn on the digital readout accurate to .0001 and good to go. 

I wanted a 14 degree dovetail but put in something else, maybe 7 degrees.  Don't tell anybody, I think it will still work.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

I've never studied the tail of a dove that closely... but that is a sweet way of being able to machine that!

Old Greenhorn

Dividing heads are tricky. How many holes in the plate, how many turns plus how many holes per index and all that can gum things up in one's head. Plus you are working off center, plus you are angling in both directions, What could go wrong? :D Sorry, certainly not laughing at you laughing with you.
 Besides, you wound up with 7° on each side and that adds up to a 14° included angle, so there you go! I always liked the way those delicate tables look. Just too delicate for my home. My Sister has at least one.
 Nice work.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tom K

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 28, 2023, 08:03:19 PM
Its the darkest that GF makes.  I told her I could try mixing some black into it and see if I can make it darker.  If she wants it darker than this, it might as well be painted brown.

Maybe get some dye to try? Might be able to do a base coat of black or brown dye with a top coat of stain and get it where you want it?

If you have a Sherwin Williams close by they can custom mix their BAC wiping stain any color you want, should be able to get it dark enough that way also.

You could also use a toner coat (mix stain/dye in with your first top coat). Especially with ash it will help even it out.

firefighter ontheside

I'll give sherwin williams a call.  The trouble with the dye is Id have to drive at least an hour to get ahold of any transtint dye.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

This picture is java gel stain mixed with some black minwax finish.  One end is one coat wiped off.  The other end is a second coat wiped off.  The middle is the stain brushed on and left on.  I think this is what she wants it to look like.  I think I will only get that by letting this dry on there, which it will do and then I will finish with poly.  I think I would get the same results with milk paint.  I think she doesnt want the wood to look like wood.  I hate it, but want to give her what she wants.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I don't like it, but she loved it, so I'm off to ruin some pretty ash wood.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

That's what I was thinking about all the nice work you did with the natural beauty. I guess if she is happy that's good 

NE Woodburner

I think it would look pretty sharp with the legs that dark stain and the top left natural or really light stain - but I get what you are dealing with. I make small furniture as a hobby and when I make something for others (which is most of the time now) I have to keep telling myself I'm not making it to my taste, but theirs...

firefighter ontheside

I don't love it, but its starting to grow on me.  Once I get several coats of poly on it and I forget what the wood used to look like I'll be happy with the results and it will be a handsome piece.  At least the wood still has the grain texture showing.  Unfortunately this stuff is gonna have to dry for several days first.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Meanwhile back on the farm the basic laymen are making rough wood boxes. ::)

I needed to clean out a bay in my shed and needed a box to store some short walnut pieces I trimmed for woodworkers making cutting boards and chess boards and such. I had an 8" trim cut about 3/4" thick so I took a 1X6 and cut them into 3' lengths and took the leftover 1X6 and cut for the ends then just screwed it all together.

All walnut.. All air dried several years. I stopped at 3' long as it is still pretty heavy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

My wife wants me to paint all our oak raised panel doors and cabinets in the kitchen gloss white.  Oh and how hard is it to make the panels flat without all the decoration?   :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

I would tell her I will miss her when she finds her own place. I bet you get enough sterile hospital white at work.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on March 01, 2023, 06:19:55 PM........Oh and how hard is it to make the panels flat without all the decoration? ..... :)
Doc, as much as I like your wife, I would just say "Gee I dunno, but you can tell me when you get it done." That's what I told mine when I got a similar question about the kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately I found out the answer. It's 4 weeks of off and on work. (And No I don't like it, but I live with it, because well...)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

97redjeep

Started working on a saddle locker for the family today, nothing fancy but I think It looks pretty good. Pine and spruce mixed 1xs I milled up. The wife seems pretty happy with it so far so....

<Just a bit of a disaster in here... how I like it 😬
HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

Walnut Beast

Nice! I see the calendars keep you motivated 😂

97redjeep

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 02, 2023, 03:46:09 AM
Nice! I see the calendars keep you motivated 😂
They do, and if i ever need to know the date from 06 or 96 I have quick access 🤣
HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

doc henderson

My bother had an enclosed work trailer with life size cardboard cutouts of young ladies.  He and my then 5 year old son referred to them as Hotties.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

I aspire to that level of disaster  :).

This is the raised bed planter style we made yesterday. The angle was from old bed frames, but around $15 of bolts!

Ljohnsaw

Don, what did you use to punch the holes in the bed angle iron?  I've found that stuff to be really, really hard and wears out drill bits quick.  Did you burn them with an O/A drill?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Lko67

A cherry end table and a sparked(spalted) maple bowl I recently made

Thank You Sponsors!