iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

tule peak timber

Starting a cedar bar top today. This is three pieces glued up to make it a "wanna be" slab, dimensionally parallel front to back. I just love it when people give me tight specifications on natural edge material! As if I could find a tree fits their design. I just applied a seal coat so I can bounce some colour off the top tomorrow to meet the specs. Incense cedar.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Don P

I had some time to play with the truck screened opening.
This is the basic mockup. I'll roll up the door and stick the 2 fixed screen pane panel in place, it has a couple of tabs into the track and one in the floor I'll probably use slide bolts on the top. Then the panel with the screen door goes in and finishes sealing the opening. Hopefully 5 minutes;

I used a few more router bits today. I needed a rabbet in the screen door panels for the screen to fit into. I used this setup to make a 3/8 x 3/8" rebate in 2 passes, one at half depth the next at full depth. It's a 1/4" shank bit and smallish router, take 2 light cuts. Then a half hour of chiseling the corners square

Then I flipped the door over and put in a 1/4" radius bit, sank it until it made a little shoulder for a shadow line creating what I would call a thumbnail pattern. You're seeing the rabbet cut from the other side where the cutter was end milling, I have a little sanding to do there.

Then to finish it off the outside edges of stuff like this usually has an 1/8" radius eased edge all around to keep from having sharp corners. You can barely see the end of one of the haunched rail tenons poking through the stile

Larry

Finished up the little table I've been working on last week and took a couple pictures today.

I wonder how one would look with three legs?

The table design is by Alexis Dolese and was in Fine Woodworking June 2023.  I built it because I thought it was cool and also would be a learning exercise.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

NE Woodburner

As usual, beautiful workmanship. I like the way the seat looks like it is floating above the top of the legs.

aigheadish

Round 2 on this cutting board. I haven't calculated the cost of the wasted wood on this but I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 20 bucks. 

I've left a lot of meat on it to have some good edges to run the router around and I may have to use some extra. We'll see how it goes. The color difference between the maple and cherry here is less than I wanted but hopefully finishing it will help bring out some nice colors and the grains. 

I have about a week to complete the job. I think I can do it. It really would have saved substantial time and money had I just made wider end boards and not hogging out tons of material but I think this will look much nicer. 

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

aigheadish

Clearly I don't have the tule or Larry skills but I'm pleased that I got my first two grooves cut in this cutting board. My fence, on the first pass was bumpy and it showed in the cut so I replaced a junk 2x4 with a jointed piece. It's not perfect but it's much better than it was and it's to the correct depth. It also wasn't nearly as terrifying as my previous attempt. I'll try to get the long sides done tomorrow but the fencing will be a bit more challenging to figure out. Then I can start removing the stuff in the middle. 

I should probably watch infinite more videos on how people set this stuff up cleanly and easily(?). I spend significant time looking at things to make some jig that kind of works. Maybe it was dumb to leave everything rough cut? I was nervous about not having the space for the router to ride on the edges. Maybe these grooves would be more easily done on the router table? I have the piece in place then I screw a bunch of scrap to the bench to keep things from moving on me. Then using a sliding square try to make sure measurements are OK. I should have made a witness board (is that what they are called?) to make sure it was exact... 

Interesting things to learn and consider and think about. 

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Brad_bb

I just finished my ladder storage brackets.  I just cut 3/4 construction plywood scraps and laminated them together.  I used Fastcap Powerhead screws to attach.  After I got the first ladder mounted (the taller wood one), I decided to just go straight ahead and bust out one for the extension ladder to get it off the floor.  They take up much less space now. rwoelk wanted me to photocopy the template and email him for a quick starting point for him.  He also has a Werner extension ladder.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ljohnsaw

Great idea. Like an overgrown French cleat!

Make them double or triple deep so you can hang multiple ladders in the same space. I'm gonna have to do that since I have at least three of each 4, 6, 7, 8, 12 and 16 foot step and extension ladders. Might have trouble finding a spot for the 40' extension...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

Here's what the bracket looks like, before drilling the mounting holes.

Crusarius

brad, do you ever underkill anything? :) that could have been 2 hooks with plywood backer connecting them and still been plenty strong.

Brad_bb

Generally, I don't know how to under kill it. I don't have enough imagination. I'm afraid to under kill it.  Besides, I like what looks or feels better. And this just felt like the right way to go.  I should have enough grain going in multiple directions to be strong enough.😁

Crusarius

I wonder if you could lift a car with that? :)

GAB

Quote from: Crusarius on July 25, 2023, 09:29:39 PM
I wonder if you could lift a car with that? :)
Match box car - yes!
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

21incher

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 25, 2023, 09:10:25 PM
Generally, I don't know how to under kill it. I don't have enough imagination. I'm afraid to under kill it.  Besides, I like what looks or feels better. And this just felt like the right way to go.  I should have enough grain going in multiple directions to be strong enough.😁
I think you do know how. Overkill would have been 14 lag bolts to hold it in place 😄.  Did you get a cnc router or cut them all by hand?

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Brad_bb

Toilet paper holder extender.
I've wanted to do this for some time, but procrastinated because I thought it was going to be more difficult than it actually was.  I made a sliding dovetail for the first time.  I started with the female part.  I use a dado set to hog out a channel, then I use a dovetail router bit in my table saw mounted router.  It's a 14° bit that is about 3/4" tall.  I first took a little off the bottom of the channel to get it to final depth(which was about another .040 inch, using the fence.  Then I started cutting into the undercut with the dovetail bit by moving my fence just a little bit.  I learned that you just have to take a little at a time otherwise the bit will grab and gouge your work piece.
I first did walnut which machined nicely.  Then I did one from barnwood(which is the one I decided to use).  The female barnwood one was white oak, so I had to be careful taking a little away at a time.  The last one I did was Osage.  I thought I might need the strength of osage at the base of the undercut but it turns out that was OVERKILL.  All of these woods were plenty strong.
The male barnwood piece was hard maple.  All the male pieces I just cut on the table saw with my blade tilted to 14°.  It was nice as I could fine tune the fit, taking away a little at a time on the male piece to achieve the sliding fit I wanted.  I still need to apply finish and wax the dovetail.  I think I might try Rubio monocoat for a hard wax finish.  I also plan to darken the fresh cut edges on the barnwood. I'll try ammonia fuming when I do a table top in a few weeks.

VIDEO LINK AT THE END

<br

Toilet Paper holder extender

tule peak timber

Starting a walnut entry table today with a concept sketch and 4 pieces of walnut cut from the same crotch.

Brad_bb

That's putting your crotches together.

tule peak timber

Uh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yeah,,,,,,,, :D

aigheadish

I was much more successful on this round of the cutting board! It's definitely got it's flaws, some of which will still be cut out, but so far it looks pretty good! I think I'm going to route out some of the space along the edges to make for some handles. We'll see, it's got to be delivered by the end of this week. I'm looking forward to oiling it up.

I'm also learning to make pizza dough!

Tom K

I finally finished this blanket box for my daughter.

aigheadish

I mentioned pizza dough... My buddy and I had a sub-par experience at a legendary local pizza joint last week which encouraged me to determine if I could make one better. I was testing a couple things. Can I make a tastier crust and can I cook and deliver it, to my family, faster than the 35 minutes it took this place (even though there was no one there). I also made the pizza sauce myself, while I was awaiting the dough to come to room temperature. I have got a little bit of bread experience but I don't recall ever making a pizza dough or sauce from scratch. My sister suggested the book "The Joy of Pizza" and it seems pretty good and tons of info. 

The results of my tests are yes, I can make a tastier crust, and yes I delivered it, from dough ball to table in less than half the time the pizza joint took. I certainly need to practice more, but this turned out to be a fun and delicious experiment.

Attempt 1: The wife likes mushrooms, the kids do not. I let it cook about a minute too long, but still not too bad.

The crust had lots of nice bubbles and a lovely crispness to it. It could have used a little butter brushed on the handle.

Attempt 2:

This was my pizza, with pepperoni and mushrooms-

Tom K- That box is beautiful!

tule peak timber

Naan flatbread from the grocery store dressed with goodies from the garden works well in our BBq.
  Your pie looks great!
   A family heirloom for your daughter Tom. Beautiful  8)

21incher

Quote from: aigheadish on August 01, 2023, 08:45:57 AM
I mentioned pizza dough... My buddy and I had a sub-par experience at a legendary local pizza joint last week which encouraged me to determine if I could make one better. I was testing a couple things. Can I make a tastier crust and can I cook and deliver it, to my family, faster than the 35 minutes it took this place (even though there was no one there). I also made the pizza sauce myself, while I was awaiting the dough to come to room temperature. I have got a little bit of bread experience but I don't recall ever making a pizza dough or sauce from scratch. My sister suggested the book "The Joy of Pizza" and it seems pretty good and tons of info.

The results of my tests are yes, I can make a tastier crust, and yes I delivered it, from dough ball to table in less than half the time the pizza joint took. I certainly need to practice more, but this turned out to be a fun and delicious experiment.

Attempt 1: The wife likes mushrooms, the kids do not. I let it cook about a minute too long, but still not too bad.

The crust had lots of nice bubbles and a lovely crispness to it. It could have used a little butter brushed on the handle.

Attempt 2:

This was my pizza, with pepperoni and mushrooms-

We bought a little pizza oven that cooks them in 4 minutes.  2 on the stone and 2 in the bottom. My wife has a decent semolina crust we use. Definitely beats the takeout garbage 

Not like a wood fired oven but quick and easy to use. Only does 12 inchers. You should start a thread in the food tab.  

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

I spent the day twisting the 4 walnut crotches, slightly for visual interest. I am trying very hard to get grain matching everywhere, but not possible due to saw kerf ,drying imperfections, and sanding. The matches are pretty good though, nonetheless. Tomorrow, I go to glue up and this entry table is finally underway. ;D

Larry

Rob, would it have been easier to get a grain match if you sawed veneer thickness?

Its going to work great!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!