iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

101 degrees outside, 78 degrees in the shop, where would you spend the day?

My kitchen drawers have the usual mish mash of store bought so called organizers.  I decided to make one that fits the drawer properly with thought out placement of kitchen utensils.

Pretty simple and the wide belt sander I bought a couple of years ago is a huge time saver.

I have one or two more drawers that could stand some attention but I'll see how I like this one first.

With the forecast highs this coming week I'll be in the shop most every day.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

Just to keep you in the cool, why is an organizer inside the drawer and not part of the drawer  ;D.
There is a drop front desk organizer on the workbench asking me that question.

jimbarry

burdman_22

Not something I made, but my brother is making this gaming table, mostly for playing dungeons and dragons. The pictures are of the table top and the cover for the table (the cover has a 20 sided die on it).

Crusarius

That tabletop is flat? does the entire top get removed to play? That is a beautiful table

burdman_22

Yes, the top gets removed to play. The flat top (he made it look 3d) allows it to be used as a normal table when not using it for gaming. I've got a poker table that I did something similar with.

The actual game portion of the table has little boxes for folks to roll their dice in and wireless cell phone chargers built in and some other things

burdman_22

Turns out I was completely wrong...the D20 was actually an insert that goes in the center of the table. It has two metal handles to use to lift it. Underneath is a tv they use for viewing their maps and such.

Tom K

My DIL asked if I could make a bow holder for my granddaughter, so I jumped at the chance and threw something together quick. The pictures aren't the best, I'll have to get some better ones next time we're over there.

Ljohnsaw

My mind is broken.

I read your post as an arrow holder, as in bow and arrow, a quiver.

I looked at the first picture and couldn't figure out how that would hold arrows.

So I go back and reread. Oh, bows. Then thinking how is this going to support a bow? Looks like it could hold a lot of bows. How many bows does this girl have? Must be quite the archer!

Then I look at the last pictures. DOOH! 😜

Very nice!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 31, 2023, 11:15:03 AM
My mind is broken.

This is EXACTLY what went through my head! :D :D :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

I started work on a table for the firehouse today.  It will  be 42" x 84" with decals on it and resin poured on top.  I made one 3 years ago and now its time for another.  I bought a 4x8 sheet of walnut plywood this morning.  It was $190 for the sheet.  I think the price of this table will be higher.  Last time I set up a pop up tent in the garage to serve as my resin pouring booth.  This time I realized I can use my kiln shed which is not drying anything right now. It will be perfect, as there are no bugs in there to get into the resin.  Plus my truck can stay parked in the garage.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

All Walnut and stainless hardware. Made a cover with top rubber gasket for the 17.5k  winch. Tapped holes for stainless bolts to stay in and wing nuts to hold. When in use one side can hold the cover about vertical and be completely open and left that way until covered. A stake pocket box rack to hold anything and D rings to the inside for additional hold down or outside. The rear and front of the box is two drop in pieces With the additional set of holders in front to hold rear pieces when it needs to be open in back. Handy and on and off easy. High dollar sealer stain wood. Natural clear on rack system and walnut on oak deck

firefighter ontheside

Hmm, I hadn't thought of using walnut for sides for my flatbed, but I guess when you're a "walnut beast".
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

jimbarry

Larry

The last few months I've been making all kinds of treenware (wood kitchen utensils).  Something fasnates me about going to the woods and bringing home a chunk of wood that becomes a useful item.  I needed a hook knife sometimes called a spoon knife to carve the spoon recess.  So....I made one.

Starts with a piece of scrap O-1 tool steel.

Heat it red hot and forge it flat.

Shape and grind to a radius that I think will be most useful.

Pop it in the heat treating oven and bring it up to 1460 degrees for 15 minutes.  Clench in real quenching oil at 130 degrees, not used motor oil we often hear about.

Put in toaster oven for two hours at 380 degrees to temper.  Goal is a very hard edge that won't break.

Turn a walnut handle out of scrap.  I turned the handle on 3 non-parallel axis to get a oval shape that fits my hand.  Sharpen shaving sharp....still needs a bit of work.

While spend $50 for a knife when I can spend all day in the shop making one. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Old Greenhorn

Nice job Larry! I have been looking for a couple of scoop knives to do similar work in some rustic stuff. How did you shat the tang to keep it from rotating in the handle, which is really critical on these?
 I assume you used that good old sulfur oil that smells SO sweet when you plunge a red hot piece in it? ;D I miss that smell but still have a little bit of that oil in the shop. Getting harder to find.
 For O1, when I do those I just reheat it with a torch until it is straw colored and that draws it back pretty well.
 I do like the way to crested the flute so you can sharpen both sides. You do very nice work no matter what you take on.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

beenthere

Larry
Looks like a fun project. Is it a righty or lefty, or both? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

OGH, to keep the blade shaft from rotating I ground a few divots in the side and bedded it in epoxy.  

I've been using quench oil from McMaster Carr, its sulfur free so no smell and does a good job.  Biggest benefit is I can buy it by the gallon.  Some of that other stuff has to be bought by the barrel.  

BT, I sharpened both sides, mainly because I couldn't decide if I wanted a righty or lefty.  Carving a spoon recess is a brand new exercise for me and I really don't know what I'm doing.

tule peak timber

Yesterday I shipped the quad matched walnut tabletop.

Tony has started a segmented oak stump top and is making good progress.

Next up a big island top 

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

trimguy

Tom K

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 31, 2023, 11:17:58 AM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 31, 2023, 11:15:03 AM
My mind is broken.

This is EXACTLY what went through my head! :D :D :D ;D
Well I'm glad I can keep you guys on your toes. Good thing she already had some "bows" on it in the last picture.  :)

Larry, great job on the scoop. What kind of forge are you using?

Larry

Tom, I use a little two burner shop made knife forge.  Made the side arm burners based on a Larry Zoelier design.  Its on loan right now, so for this little project I just used my oxy/ace rig.

The heat treating oven is a older Evenheat with I guess PLC control.  It works great.

Tom K

Thanks Larry. I'm running a similar sized home made forge (#20 propane tank) with a home made naturally aspired ribbon burner. I've also got a pair of coal forges I haven't used yet.

The quenching & heat treating of blades has always held me back. I just don't fully understand the process yet and haven't had time to experiment.

WV Sawmiller

Okay, you guys talking about forges and such forced me to go back to my assignment in Guinea in west Africa and dig out a few pictures of a forge set up I saw there. The man was making aluminum pots like old fashioned washpots. Apparently he would sand cast the 2 halves then weld them together then weld 3 legs on to them. I remember the bellows was made from an old bicycle and had a denim jeans leg as a tube to direct the forge itself. I apologize for the quality of the photos but the set up was pretty amazing to me in its simplicity.

Finished pot for sale which attracted me then the owner invited me into the hut where the forge was set up.

Rough overview of the set up. Note the safety equipment and PPE worn.

Tools and form work to mix up mud used in the process. I don't know if this was for the sand casting or other purposes.

Apparently the box on the right is the forge itself. Not sure about the other items.

Two sides of a pot finished and ready to weld together,

The forge and more tools used in the process. The log standing upright on the right is likely the workers station where he sits while working.

I guess he covered the forge here to hold the heat or such.

A wider view. The bike frame and wheel by his R foot is the bellows. He'd turn the wheel which was hooked to a blower to add air to increase the temperature of the fire in the forge.

I loved my time in Guinea and the people were very friendly and open when you showed some interest and respect for their craftsmanship and abilities even though the the conditions were very primitive by our standards.

The people loved to be in the photos.

This big tree was just outside our camp and was a local hangout.

The pictures were from 11-10-2010 BTW.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

aigheadish

Too cool! Thanks WV for sharing that, it's very interesting to see what you can do with little. Also interesting that it looks like the guys still have toes! Those pots look pretty good too!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!