iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Timberjack 230 Brake Drum was smoking today.

Started by Tillman, March 18, 2015, 08:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tillman

Hello everybody, My Timberjack 230 with the brake drum attached to the transfer case was smoking today heavy, after using the e brake. I flipped the switch back and ran it a very little bit and the drum housing started smoking and was obviously burning up. I am wondering if anybody has any clue as to what the cause is?

Maine logger88

Did you leave the parking brake on I forgot and left it on once for a few seconds and it smoked bad
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Neilo

By e brake, do you mean the hydraulic line lock? The piston could be stuck inside it. You could check that the master cylinder hasn't stuck on as well. If it has, the pedal will have lots of free play.

Tillman

I didn't try to run it with the hydraulic line brake lock, I used it, then flipped it off and a couple of minutes later it was smoking pretty bad. I wonder if a spring in the drum would get stuck? Or is there a adjuster to the shoes that I can get to without taking the whole thing apart?

HiTech

It probably burnt what oil that was on the shoes off. lol I have had it happen when I forgot to let the brake off. You only have to go a few feet and the smoke bellows out. Perhaps you have a weak or missing spring on the brake mechanism allowing the brake to stay engaged. I have a side plate on my skidder you can take off and work on it. 3/4" socket and 4 bolts and it is off. I have also pulled many trigs and whatnot from the belly pan and perhaps something as simple as a trig getting stuck in the brakes caused the problem.

Tillman

I took the brake drum cover off with the four bolts and cotter pin/bolt. It was really mudded up in there cleaned it the best I could without takeing the whole thing of the transfer case. But when I used the brake it seized up again and started smoking. Now I have a question that propably sounds stupid. Is the drum supposed to spin with the machine moving or no? Then I was wondering if the cylinder inside the brake was not working would that be the problem. Basically I have brakes but they wont release. Thanks for the help.

OntarioAl

Tillman
I suspect the source of your trouble is the in line brake lock. Up here they provided nothing but a source of constant aggravation. A mechanical brake system with the band working on the outside of the drum is the preferred alternative ( at least up here).
Yes the drum turns when the machine is in motion.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

Maine logger88

I heard that timberjack installed the band style parking brake for free back in the 90s cause of all the lawsuits from the mico locks leaking off. You probably could buy the stuff to put the band style on your machine .
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Tillman

Thanks Guys, I just bleed the brake screw to get it to un-seize, once this job is done I will have to figure something out. Thanks for the help.

Remle

You may want to check any rubber lines in the system, one of them may have failed internally not allowing the fluid to return and release the brake, had this happen on several trucks. The interior of the hose came apart and acted like a one way valve.

Neilo

Tillman, I don't know if you didn't see my post or you are not listening. Your line lock or maybe master cylinder is stuck!

Tillman

How would I check the line lock or master cylinder for stickage?

OntarioAl

Tillman
Bypass the line lock (splice in a temporary piece of brake line/hose). If the brakes work as the are  designed to its the brake lock. If the problem still exists it's the master cylinder.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

Remle

Quote from: Tillman on March 24, 2015, 07:35:20 AM
How would I check the line lock or master cylinder for stickage?
Just crack the line to each one, do the master first and see which one releases the pressure to the system.

Thank You Sponsors!