iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

when to cut firewood

Started by easymoney, March 08, 2010, 06:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Id have to agree its better cutting in the cooler weather, you warm up quick.  I also like that the trees are off the dirt when theyre on the snow, better for bucking and blocking up logs, dont have to worry about putting the chain in the dirt and grit.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SwampDonkey

Sounds like they are relating the significant moisture swings with the live sapwood. "Most variations in moisture content were observed in the wood nearest the bark." In summer, it would stand to reason moisture in the sapwood would go down some simply because of moisture deficits depending on rainfall and soil properties and driven by temperature and  evapotranspiration through leaves. It's not a closed system. A fellow would have to see the actual journal article that was published to see how they arrived at their results. As they point out, significant swings in moisture content are not observed in all species. "Northern conifers do not seem to vary much seasonally". I wonder about their take on northern tolerant hardwoods. According to figures from around here, which I can't point to any specific study, there is no big swing in moisture content of hard maple, beech and yellow birch. I have a yellow birch tapped right now and it hasn't released a drop of sap yet. But, I know it will soon as when we cut yellow birch brush they weep sap for days. The old tree pump just hasn't started up yet. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!