Sponsors:

wavy cuts

Started by dustyhoosier78, December 29, 2019, 11:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhoosier78

I figured out how to post photos

Anderson

Good Pics! 8)

I will be interested to hear your results with 4 degree bands if you get some. I am milling with a 15 horse engine and 10 degree bands. It feels like my mill struggles with wide cuts but I haven't thrown down the money for some 7 or 4 degrees yet.

dustyhoosier78

I will by some and let you know.

OffGrid973

Grab a few 2x10s from Depot, put on the mill and check everything is level.

Then try and cut the 2x10's down and inch and see how uniform it is.  If this test passes then you can move to wood type, belt tension, etc.

Send some pics of the wavy wood and run your test with a new blade.

Good luck
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Southside

If you are getting chatter all along the board then yes a tooth or teeth have been dinged or knocked out of set.

If the chatter starts and stops then that is often a sign of not enough feed speed. Which can be due to wrong tooth angle for the wood being cut, dull band not allowing adequate feed speed, or just not enough feed speed. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Here's a good suggestion that I remember hearing way back when I first got my mill:

When things are not quite right with your mill, "make only one change/adjustment at a time"!

If you change a few things at the same time and the issue gets fixed, you don't really know which one of those cured the problem!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kelLOGg

My mill is 16HP too and I switched to 4° (thanks to Brad_bb recommendation) with marked improvement 8)
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Bruno of NH

Try 7° in softwood and 4° in hardwood your cuts will be nice and smooth 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

dustyhoosier78

I had a good day of sawing today tightening the blade tension took the chatter out of the saw head. I Snugged the drive belt a little but that was just a minor adjustment. I haven't been able to order new blades yet but when I do I'll give an update. The lumber turned out really well over 300 bdft for a friend. Maple siding for the inside of his shop he was very happy and I was glad to repay him for some help he has given me.

Thank You Sponsors!