iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarding trailer minor modification question

Started by John Mc, May 30, 2022, 04:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I have a Metavic M95 loader on their 13RF forwarding trailer. (Small, but suits my needs.) This has their hydraulic winch option. The cable comes up off the drum  and up through a pulley mounted on a pipe. The pipe is a snug fit inside another pipe which is mounted on top of the headache rck/guard at the front of the trailer. The nested pipes allow the pulley to swivel so I can pull from different directions.

The problem is that there is no grease zerk on this swivel joint. It froze up recently" even beating on it with a hammer would not get it to pivot. I removed the rack from the trailer, pulled out the winch cable, and finally got things disassembled and cleaned up. It moves freely now. I can grease it while I have it apart, but it seems it would be much easier to maintain if I added a grease zerk.

Is there any reason NOT to add one? it seems like an obvious thing. One concern is that it will be very difficult to deburr the hole once I drill and tap it, since it would be in the middle of a 6" long X 2" ID pipe. Reaching the inside will be difficult. The fit is close enough that a burr or shavings seem as though they will jam things up.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

Should be easy to add zerks where needed along that pipe. Get the correct tap and drill the correct size hole. Sounds like a great solution.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: John Mc on May 30, 2022, 04:20:17 PMOne concern is that it will be very difficult to deburr the hole once I drill and tap it, since it would be in the middle of a 6" long X 2" ID pipe
Taking too much off at that area shouldn't be a problem (precision is not an issue), I would (and have) just used a partial round file.  The kind that are flat one side and a slight arc on the other.  Being only 3" or so in, will clean up fast and easy.  A rat tail file will work but is more difficult to control.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

chevytaHOE5674

I'd drill and tap to say 1/4-28 (common grease fitting i have on the shelf). Reach in the pipe with a round file or long bit on the die grinder and deburr the hole and call it a day.

John Mc

Thanks for the suggestions. I hand greased it for now, while I had it disassembled. I thought I had some grease zerks around, but can't find them.

I know I can reach the new hole with a file, but I'm not sure I can actually get any filing done due to the angle. I'll nose around for something to use in my die grinder or Dremel tool.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

bitternut

You need to get one of these de-burring tool sets. They come with interchangeable tips and the handle. Not very expensive and work great. Spin the right tip around the hole and the inside and outside burrs will be gone.  

Here is a sample link that gives you the idea of what they look like.

https://www.amazon.com/deburring-tools/s?k=deburring+tools

John Mc

Quote from: bitternut on May 31, 2022, 05:33:11 PM
You need to get one of these de-burring tool sets. They come with interchangeable tips and the handle. Not very expensive and work great. Spin the right tip around the hole and the inside and outside burrs will be gone.  

Here is a sample link that gives you the idea of what they look like.

https://www.amazon.com/deburring-tools/s?k=deburring+tools
My co-worker had one of those when we were doing solar PV installations. It was a great tool. I've been looking in local hardware stores and big box stores for one, but no one carries them.

Old Greenhorn

John, those are machinist tools. You can buy them here: https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/tn?mscNew=true&searchterm=deburring+tool&hdrsrh=true

I first saw these at the IMTS show in 1974 and bought one which I still have somewhere. Over the following 40 something years I have had dozens. Originally designed by an Israeli company that I think later became Iscar, they grew in popularity pretty quickly with machinists. They work good on most steels and with the right grinding profile they are amazing on aluminum. Yeah, a no brainer handy tool to have to the box for anybody that works in metal.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

rusticretreater

Depending on the thickness of the inner pipe, you might want to carefully grind a groove around the pipe at the same height as the zerk fitting.  This will allow you to pump more grease in there.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!