iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spruce, time to mill?

Started by Lyndaker, December 19, 2019, 05:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyndaker

I cut a bunch of spruce logs last winter and wondering how long until it must be milled. How long can it be left sitting and still be good for lumber? Planning on cutting it into 2 sided logs for a dovetail cabin. It was winter cut, I live in NW Ontario (winter for half the year), and it is up off the ground. 
thanks for your expertise 

moodnacreek

If you cut them [off the stump] in the fall [the best time] you have until warm weather to saw them. This is for spruce not pine. If felled in spring or summer you saw them right away. Getting them off the ground in warm weather just warms them quicker. Heat , more than anything is your enemy.

Stephen1

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 19, 2019, 07:05:53 PM
If you cut them [off the stump] in the fall [the best time] you have until warm weather to saw them. This is for spruce not pine. If felled in spring or summer you saw them right away. Getting them off the ground in warm weather just warms them quicker. Heat , more than anything is your enemy.
I agree these are still good logs. Are they "black spruce". Saw them into the spring and before the heat comes and you have good logs. You will be able to peel them while they are right on the sawmill. The bark should almost fall off.

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!