iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tick Medication

Started by Ianab, March 16, 2024, 06:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

This might interest those folks in tick infested areas.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/03/tick-killing-pill-shows-promising-results-in-human-trial/

Basically they are testing the anti-tick tablets that you can currently give dogs to see if they are safe for humans to take. The idea is the drug sits in your blood stream, but has no effect on you. But if a tick bites and starts to suck blood, it gets a dose of the drug, and soon drops dead (before it can infect you with Lyme disease). Like any drug that's for human use they of course have to test that it's safe (no nasty side effects), and actually works. But so far it looks promising, and because it's known safe and effective for dogs, there is a good chance it will be for humans too. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I did not check the link out, but sure hope so. 
We never had ticks around here 15 years ago. 
Then they slowly started to creep in.  smiley_thumbsdown
The ticks were about 1/2 hour from me for years. My FIL would come and holler, you must have ticks here, you live in the woods. No way to tell him there was none here.  :huh?
 Just because he had them, don't mean I did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: thecfarm on March 16, 2024, 06:17:44 PMI did not check the link out, but sure hope so.
We never had ticks around here 15 years ago.
Then they slowly started to creep in.  smiley_thumbsdown
The ticks were about 1/2 hour from me for years. My FIL would come and holler, you must have ticks here, you live in the woods. No way to tell him there was none here.  :huh?
 Just because he had them, don't mean I did.
Not even dog ticks? NS has had them long before deer ticks 

thecfarm

I probably spent more then 40 years on this land and never found one on me. Then there was 3 brothers and parents here too and they never found any on them either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

So I won't have to squirt that stuff between my shoulder blades each month any more?  ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Sounds like that's a "no". but you might keep wearing that collar just to be safe. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

there was a guy named Frank on staff at summer camp.  his dad was military and he had lots of GI green match books.  he would chew several match tips a day and said he never had tick.  none of us did either.  His light bulb was not screwed in the right direction.  not sure if it was related.  nice guy.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LeeB

Sulfur is supposed to be a tick repellant so there may be some backing to his claim. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

I do not doubt that.  the question is the dose and frequency, and side effects.  In light of the fact, that no one else had ticks. ffsmiley  ol Frank.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

My first thought is, "heck no!", but the fact is we have gotten to be a hot bed of deer ticks in our area. We always had regular wood ticks, they didn't cause any real harm and were a part of the local culture really. There are stores, music festivals and other things names after them (the "Woodtick Jamboree" being one example). Deer ticks are something else entirely, they carry so many diseases that they are a real danger. Lyme's can be absolutely debilitating if not caught, and I've seen people put in the hospital by other tick borne diseases. I can't even remember all of the names. There's another one they carry that is deadly on dogs, too. It destroys the red blood cells. I lost one of my dogs to that. 
Too many irons in the fire

Ed_K

We had wood ticks for ever, but deer ticks just in the last 15 yrs. I pick ticks off Rita all the time when she's been working in the flower beds. I never have them on me or if I do they don't last long. I think it's because I have Multiple Myeloma.
Ed K

Don P

I've been tempted to wear a collar on each ankle for years  ffcheesy. I'm pretty sure I've plucked a few of these little specks off;
Protect Your Cattle from Asian Longhorned Ticks and Theileriosis (virginia.gov)

plantita

A preventative pill for ticks sounds like a game-changer. It would be great to have an option beyond just doing tick checks and wearing repellent. Living around so many woods, we're dealing with more ticks.

Ianab

Quote from: barbender on March 17, 2024, 03:19:15 PMI can't even remember all of the names. There's another one they carry that is deadly on dogs, too. It destroys the red blood cells. I lost one of my dogs to that. 
This is probably the medication that vets use to protect dogs from that. The human drug testing and approval process is specifically related to Lyme disease, so the package (if approved) will say "Helps protect from Lyme disease". To get a drug approved you have to prove it's actually useful for treating some particular disease. But they suggest that as it seems to work on any type of tick, or a tick carrying a different bacteria. so it should help prevent other tick borne infections too. But that's just not part of the current study. 

Main objective at the moment is to get it approved for Human use.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 16, 2024, 10:26:22 PMSounds like that's a "no". but you might keep wearing that collar just to be safe. ffcheesy

....Zat mean I can take this tag out of my ear???!  ffcheesy
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Thank You Sponsors!