iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Maple tree

Started by POC, February 16, 2014, 01:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POC

This tree has been in the corner of our field for as long as I can remember.  Two years ago it blew down.
I'm going to try to make table tops from some crotch slabs, cutting the top up for firewood and going to cut some cookies out of the main log.  There are some of the limbs that are big enough to saw lumber from, I don't know how that will work out.  But here's some pictures.

Here's what is left of the stump, the 056 sitting by it and my tractor in the background

One of the pieces I hope to make a crotch table from.  I started cutting too far down on the limb, so I had to start over and cut again.  I put the FEL under to keep it from busting when I cut it loose.

Some of the logs and firewood I've cut.

Other pics of the first log that I hope to cut some cookies from.

And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

ET

POC, you got a slabber to handle that whopper!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

POC

Patrick

Magicman

That looks like a fine old warrior that you are dealing with.  It should make some nice mementos. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

r.man

I would be uneasy having a loader under a big piece as I cut it off in case it was too big for the FEL to handle. I have seen mine try to flip twice, both times human error. That is a very nice old tree and I am guessing it was in that field a considerable time before you. Makes me feel small when I stand beside an ocean or a cliff or when I realize how long some trees have been growing in the same spot and how much the world around them has changed.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

POC

Quote from: r.man on February 16, 2014, 05:14:00 PM
I would be uneasy having a loader under a big piece as I cut it off in case it was too big for the FEL to handle. I have seen mine try to flip twice, both times human error. That is a very nice old tree and I am guessing it was in that field a considerable time before you. Makes me feel small when I stand beside an ocean or a cliff or when I realize how long some trees have been growing in the same spot and how much the world around them has changed.
I was uneasy! But it worked out ok.
Patrick

beenthere

I'd be uneasy too, especially without a ballast of some kind on the 3 ph.
But appreciate the pics, and glad it worked ok for you on this one.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!