iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to flatten a cookie?

Started by Brad_bb, October 27, 2019, 11:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

What's the best way to flatten a cookie after it's dry?  

To flatten slabs I've been using my mill mounted beam planer, but it has straight knives.  I haven't tried it on end grain and am afraid it might not go as I'd like.  It would probably have a lot more resistance, and I'm afraid when you make a pass and get to the backside of the pass, you could tear out at the edge?

For example I have a couple cookies that I chainsawed off the log- large end table size or coffee table sized.  
Would it be better to try and use a router sled and some type of special bit to flatten them? Or will I get issues there too?  Another option is the try and re-cut with my band saw and then belt sand  with 4x25 belt sander.   I'm not sure how well the band saw will cross cut especially close to the edge of the cookie?

Never tried flattening end grain like this.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

scsmith42

Brad, my method is to re-flatten them in the band mill (if needed), and then run them through a wide belt sander.  I tried planing one once and it did not end up well....  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SawyerTed

I've been experimenting with a jig and table arrangement to use a chainsaw mill.  It is the same idea as the router sled.   Instead of a rail/ladder system mounted on the cookie (like when CSMilling), I'm supporting the ends of the rails on blocks.  Of course the end of the rails are attached to the support blocks and the supports blocks are clamped to the table.  The cookie is held in place by wood blocks screwed to the table.  I used some aluminum square tube the first time, the tube flexed too much. I want to use 2x2 angle next time I set it up.  I am only working with 24-28" cookies.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

tule peak timber

We used to use the Lucas slabber to slake twisted slabs quite successfully. I always wanted to tilt the carriage at 45 degrees to see how that would work.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Southside

Try dunking it in milk to make it soft again?  I prefer to keep my cookies in tupper ware or something like that to keep them from going dry to begin with, not sure I would want one after it had been around a chainsaw.  Oh wait.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

24-28" Oatmeal raisin cookies flattened with whole milk as chainsaw lube....mmmm good! :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

terrifictimbersllc

If the cookies are for a beaver wedding the ethanol soak is a big hit.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tule peak timber

Still early in the day here for that kind of talk....... 8) 8)

Brad_bb

tule peak timber

Pepe_Silvia

Brad, I've re-sawed a few cookies in the 2-3' range on the LT15Wide.  Walnut, pecan, and oak.  It works pretty well if you have a jig.  I made the one sometimes seen around here that uses pipe clamps on a wooden bed.  I can add pictures if you're not familiar with the design.
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

doc henderson

Brad i have used a combination of things mentioned.  i have tried the 20 inch planer and it does chip out the trailing inch or so each pass.  i have had luck with a makita 4 inch hand held power planer and use care at the edges.  I have had luck in a 24 inch drum sander taking light passes as to not overload the sander.  i have use the router sled as well.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

John S

I have successfully planed cookies in a Grizzly 20" planer with the spiral head.  I did not think it would work,but it did.  No chip or tear-out.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

doc henderson

yes, my planer has hss straight knives.  it is grizzly as well
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brad_bb

Whoa Doc!  That cookie has figure that could compete with Marilyn! Is that a Hard maple or a red maple?  What router bit were you using?

doc henderson

i am not sure as @Southside  will attest to.  we have a lot of silver and soft maple here.  it was cut down before i got it so did not see leaves ect. thanks!  i think some of the figure is due to the fact that the grain was flaring to follow the roots.  it was the butt end.

Brad_bb

doc henderson

I got mine at a "big tool store"  but i have seen the same brand and size on amazon.

i take a 1/4 inch depth and 1/4 the width of the bit at a time, as you can see, I use a porter cable plunge variable speed router.  home made planing jig.

Pepe_Silvia

I've also used the router sled method and used a Whiteside 1 1/4" Bowl Bit.  The rounded edges are supposed to help with tearout. 

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

kelLOGg

Doc H,
Is yours a pivoting router sled?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

doc henderson

mine is simple.  I only do this on occasion.  the stump was big so it sits on a wood pallet.  you can see the pallet jack in one of the pics.  I built a frame with rails out of 2 x 4s and scred to the pallet.  I was able to drop down sequentially with the plunge settings on the router.  the top portion (sled) just slides on the wood rails.  I know there are fancy ones with bearing ect., but I like the feeling of some resistance to movement to stabilize the sled.  I move the sled a half inch at a time, then make the next pass until across the entire surface, then drop another 1/4 inch and make another set of passes.  the sled is 1/2 inch sides with 5 mm left over plywood bottom, with a width that contains the base of the router.  hangs on the wall till I need it again.  the wood rails are disassembled, and a new one will be made to fit the next project.  I hope that answered your question.  the sled is long enough to move at various angles across the top of the leveled rails. close to 8 feet long.

doc henderson

here is another pic of the stump and pallet prior to flattening.  I hollowed out the bottom to reduce weight, and thought it might relieve some drying stress.  I screwed the uprights for the rails to the pallet.

tule peak timber

How are you hollowing out the bottom ?

doc henderson

I used a chainsaw.  cut the perimeter and eye ball maintained my depth.  then criss-crossed and sideways.  good work out, should have made a video.  then I used a log wizard/planer head on a chainsaw to flatten the base of the cube hole.  made the sides and table top all about 4 inches thick.

Thank You Sponsors!