iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foley-Belsaw 684 planer-jointer-molder opinions?

Started by Old Greenhorn, January 02, 2020, 12:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

well, related to my other thread on flooring I went looking on C/L for a planer just to start seeing what was out there. By accident I came across the machine listed in the thread title. The listing has 2 very poor photos ans I am half guessing at the model. The entire listing reads as follows: "JOINTS 6'' WIDE PLANES & MOLDS 8'' x 4 1/2 WIDE" hence my guess at a 684 combined with the poor photo of the plate. I know these ran around 800-1200 bucks when new, I think. The guy is asking 250 now. 
 Does anybody own one of these that can offer advice/experience? I wasn't looking for one, but it is on the punch list for down the road. It's' gonna be a 2 hour round trip to pick this up. Before I send the seller and email tonight I wanted to ask the question here among friends. Any special questions I should ask?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

I'd inquire about the motor HP, voltage, and single or 3 phase.
How much manpower would be required to load it onto a trailer or in a pick-up bed.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: GAB on January 02, 2020, 12:50:00 PM
How much manpower would be required to load it onto a trailer or in a pick-up bed.
GAB
Good start GAB, it looks like the plate says 115v 15A, but I really can't be certain. 220 is also fine, but 3 phase is out. I am not going that route (yet). I don't want to bring my trailer up the thruway, hope we can lay it down in the bed with some blocking. I sure hope it is not as heavy as the planer I picked up a few days ago. That nearly killed me standing it up! I also hope it is not in a basement. ;D
 Other questions on my mind is if he has all the parts for planer and molding operations, any extra blades, is it in good running condition, and any other stuff he might have as long as I am making a 2 hour loop. I was hoping someone here had one and could tell me of known problems I should check on when I give it a look.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

GAB

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 02, 2020, 01:43:01 PM
Quote from: GAB on January 02, 2020, 12:50:00 PM
GAB
Good start GAB, it looks like the plate says 115v 15A, but I really can't be certain. 220 is also fine, but 3 phase is out. I am not going that route (yet). I don't want to bring my trailer up the thruway, hope we can lay it down in the bed with some blocking. I sure hope it is not as heavy as the planer I picked up a few days ago. That nearly killed me standing it up! I also hope it is not in a basement. ;D
Other questions on my mind is if he has all the parts for planer and molding operations, any extra blades, is it in good running condition, and any other stuff he might have as long as I am making a 2 hour loop. I was hoping someone here had one and could tell me of known problems I should check on when I give it a look.
I also hope it is not in a basement. ;D
That statement is exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote "How much manpower would be required to load it"
Since I am not familiar with one of those machines I have no idea how much it weighs.
Wishing you the best of luck.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Jack S

Old Greenhorn

Thanks Jack S, I found that this afternoon also and read through it quick. I did not find a weight either, but with the sheet metal base I am thinking it's not that much.
 In thinking this through I did a little more searching and research. Something a few guys have said to my posts here on the forums have me full of self doubt. Maybe I am doing this backwards and should get a table saw first? So just for giggles I did a C/L search and found an older Delta Model 10 that has the extended table and fence. Looks to be in really good shape and he is selling it cheap. Also, he is only 15 minutes ride from me. In addition, his photos clearly show it is in a ground level garage and it's clean. He wants $150 for it. That's not bad and I have been racking my brain all day thinking on which way to go.
 A planer does on thing, a jointer does one thing, but a table saw does an awful lot of things. I thank you all for tour input, but I am going to check into this saw. Space is an issue until the loft is done, and then it's still an issue but a little less of one. I'll certainly let you all know how this turns out. Your time was not wasted on me, it helped me think things through and make a better decision.
 OH, and if anyone has or had one of those 684's, I would still like to know how it worked for them.

Thank You Sponsors!