iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel fuel ?

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, November 05, 2002, 06:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I have been told that home heating oil is disel fuel with red die in it. My home heting oil bill actually sais "died diesel" on it

So What? Well I just bought a New Holland 3cyl diesel skid steer :) to use around the homestead and it would be much easier to pump out of my home heating oil tank than it would be to take a bunch of 5 gal cans up to the gas station.

So I called my home heating oil supplier and asked.

"Can I use your home heating oil in my Diesel Equipment?"
"Hek NO!, well wait a minute, Heay Bill, talk to this guy"
"Hi Bill Can I use your home heating oil in my Diesel Equipment"
"Hek YES, I do it alla time! It's the same stuff you get outta the pump cept it's died."

You see my confusion. What do you think?

By the way, I bought this skid steer to replace my broken 63' JD 1010 front end loade/backhoe that I can't find parts for. I bought it with a bucket and a set of forks. And can't say enough good about it. The only negative is that it tears up the yard.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tom

Road Fuel is green and has "Road Taxes" paid on it.  
Off Road Fuel is died Red and has no "Road Taxes" paid, only sales tax.

Home heating fuel is a different story and don't know about it but the the whole thing revolves about taxes on the fuel.  #2 diesel is the same whether it is red or green.  I have heard that Red has more sulphur and the Feds made them take the sulphur out of the road fuel but I don't know if that is the truth or a tale.

We use Off Road fuel in all of our equipment.   DON"T use it in your road truck.  The DOT and IRS can get very irate. :D

smwwoody

tom you are right

road fuel= high way tax +sales tax
offroad = sales tax only
home heating fuel + no tax at all

this is in states where there is a sales tax

and yes the red stuff does have a little higher sulfur count

the home heat fuel will be fine in the bobcat.

I burn about 125 gallon of off road per week this is a big savings when you can take off $.51 per gallon for taxes
wish you could run the red stuff in the truck ;D
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Noble_Ma

I believe it's the same way up North Tom.  The difference besides the color is the tax or lack of it.  Some places up North put additives in the diesel for cold weather operation.

Ron Wenrich

Our local gas station sells both diesel and heating oil.  I was going to put the heating oil in my 671 Detroit, but I figured I better ask them what the difference was between the two fuels.

They told me about 50 cents a gallon.   :D

Depending on the supplier, some might not put any anti-gel in the heating oil if their deliveries are indoor storage.  That might be a factor during the cold weather.  Of course, if it's that cold, you won't be working anyways.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D._Frederick

Out here in the NW, the hiway No. 2 diesel is a low sulfur  fuel that the EPA requires, this is what you pay tax on. THe colored fuel is off hiway and is not taxed. Furnace oil and off  hiway are the same fuel,  No. 2 diesel with high sulfur and are colored. They work well in the older diesel engines but am not sure of the electronic controled diesels.

smwwoody

D._Frederick

as far as high sulfur in a new electronic diesel goes the mill I used to contract cut for has a genset with a Cat 3406E engine and it has run the red stuff for 3 years with no problems and my last skidder had a cummins 6BTA that was electronic  it hat almost 4000hrs on it with the red stuff and no problems

When I bought it new there was a rep from cummins and franklin on my job they both watched me pump 50+galons of high sulfur fuel in it and never blinked an eye
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Tillaway

My understanding is the high sulpher acts as a lubricant for your injector pump, so higher sulpher is usually better for your equipment.  The problem in California is that all the fuel is very low sulpher , lowest in the nation and most expensive, and it plays heck with injector pumps, O-rings and seals.  If you run older equipment or vehicles here you have to put additives in it or you will be rebuilding injector pumps way too often.  Keep this in mind if your state starts to mandate low sulpher fuel and you run older equipment.

Your truck will run fine on dyed diesel, just don't get your tank dipped.  Also the dye is very persistent, run one tank of it with dye and go back to clear diesel and it will take many tank fulls to clear it out... my brother in law got pinched that way.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

Yes, Tillaway, you have to watch out for the "gostopo".   They can dip your tank any time they want.   Probable cause is out the back, jack.     :'( :'(  I have also heard and have done so myself,  added a pint of ATF every once in a while to the fule tank.  This acts as a lubricant for in injectors.   Careful, it is red.
Frank Pender

Tillaway

Frank,
I've seen guys using Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF.  If you are running newer engines with the HEUI injectors (Ford Powerstoke's, Internationals or Cat's) you could void warranties using additives.  The only one that doesn't void Ford's is Stanadyne I don't know about Cat or International.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

ADfields

The home heating oil is #1 and will not jell down to -30f and #2 without fixers will jell around 15f or 0f with fixers.   #1 will take more fuel to make the same power as #2 but wont hert a thing and sulpher is good for it like lead in a gas engines.   Up hear in Alaska we run #1 all winter and I get it from my 500 gallon tank that the house heat runs on, it has no dye as Alaska has no fuel taxes at all just a milage tax on big trucks.

The road tax thing is all of no mater to fuel now that thay pased IFTA in 1997 I think it was.  Now we pay road tax by the mile not the gallon, the fuel stop takes so much a gallon in tax that gos into an IFTA acount on that truck (like income tax witholdings) and you file a milage report ech qurter.   Ther is noone out ther to dip tanks now days and we are alowed to run dyed fuel but it's like claming 100 depindents on your W-4, thay will want ther money for every mile you ran in every state dye or not.   So if your truck is under 26,000gvw or IFTA dont know who you are (yet) do your self a favor and run the offroad stuff if you can get it.  
Andy

Weekend_Sawyer

Well I thank all of you for your input.

Last night when I pulled the sedimint strainer it was full of RED FUEL. This machine is has been running died diesel and has 2200 hours on it.

I'm convinced.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!