iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resawing

Started by jim king, April 30, 2010, 07:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

I had a request today to resaw 15,000 to 25,000 bf of 8 inch by 8 inch cants into 1/4 thick boards.  I have never done any work for anyone else and have no idea what to charge.  Any one have any suggestions ??

I have a baker resaw with woodmaster rersaw with B blades   The rerwaw is a 1999 ABX Baker.

campy

I would charge $75 US Dollars an hour plus $20 for nail that is found by my blade rather than my metal detector. 

A lot of folks get sticker shock when I quote this.
About 1/3 take me up and they are usually very grateful after the job is done.

Thankfully, I have not hit rocks or ceramic like my other colleagues have !

Ron Wenrich

The first thing you need to know is your production costs.  Most guys have an idea, but you need to nail it down to where you can get either an hourly cost or a per minute cost.  Its not as hard as it sounds.

You also need to know how long it takes to break an 8x8 down into 1/4 inch wood.  Take a test run if you need to.  Take your per minute cost and figure accordingly per cant.  Figure your footage and charge accordingly.

But, don't forget that there will be some extra handling.  That 1/4" stuff will be pretty flimsy and won't handle as well as a thicker board.  There's going to be a lot more sawdust, and that means extra handling.  Watch for downtime caused by those small slivers that may jam someplace. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jim another question What type of wood is it and what is the final use  ??? and have you seen the cants in remote locations they can et dragged around the scrup and get pretty dirty somtimes  :o  and what type of mill where they sawn on are they accurate as those factors will also affect production im with Ron & Campy a flat hourly rate with band costs  ;) its only realy a couple of 20' container loads but will take some time none the less to process Mate

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

jim king

The cants are bloodwood and were sawn  into 8 x 8 s on a regular mill.  The wood is going to Canada for laminated flooring.

My basic production costs a 3 men at $7 each and the bands.  I am going to do a test run Sunday with Jatoba.

Ron Wenrich

You still have overhead in the cost of land, equipment, taxes and utilities.  Don't forget to factor those in.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Bloodwoods a nice sawing timber and id rate it as been a 5to6 out of 10 for hardness on saws  ;) I cut about 4x20' container loads of Qld bloodwood about 24m3 ea (10200bftea) when i was up in Queensland working on the mills when i was younger  ;)  ;D 8)

Let us know how the test run goes Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

jim king

I thought you might like to see our blade sharpener, thr primary component is a windsheild wiper motor.

ljmathias

Wow, nice setup and that wood is beautiful!  Wish I had some- I'd make something I really need, but can't think of just now...  ;D

Chris: when you were younger?  Why, you're just a sapling in the forest of life, with decades of hard work (make that fun) ahead of you.  Wait till you get old and mean like some of us on the forum... :-[  And I'm glad to see you've learned to control your need to put lots of illustrations in your posts- easier to read now.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jim thats a smart move using a windsheld wiper motor for your cam motor on the grinder did you build it yourself Mate   ;) ;D 8) 8) ??? ???

LJ I shoulda stayed in school and chasing girls  ;) :D :D and working hard since i was 13yo has'nt done me body any favors but im trying to work smater not harder these days and theres plenty of life left in me yet and dont worry i get mean n grumpy myself at times Mate  ;) :D  :D :D 8) 8) yeah i get carried away somtimes but i cant make any promises    ;) :D :D :D  ;D ;)

Regards Chris

jim king

Meadows Miller

We needed a sharpener and it would have taken week and thouisands of $ to get one here so this is what we come up with.  Not very elegant but we can sharpen the cheap $15 blades 6 to 8 times.  Monday I will get more photos of this little monter close up..

It has quite a variety od odds and ends that make it up but cost about $300 and my customs clearing would have been more than that.

logwalker

Jim I lightened up your picture with Photoshop.  

Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jim that looks alot like the head of my little bandsaw grinder i have in the shed at home here I dont know the brand of mine but its done a great job Mate  ;)

what do you use for setting bands  ???  ive always used an old handheld handsaw setter which aint the quickest but it is accurate and works great  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards

Thank You Sponsors!