iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started milling my barn timbers

Started by jimdad07, November 01, 2015, 11:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

Started milling my barn timbers tonight.  Got a late start but made a few cuts.  Thank God for tractors, brute strength and ignorance.  As you can tell by my pictures that I didn't have proper tension on the band but she sure is cutting square!

Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

jimdad07

Sorry if the pictures are sideways, I'm loading from my phone.  They're always sideways on the mobile site but when I rotate them properly on the mobile site they go sideways on the regular site.

beenthere

Then rotate them properly on the regular site.. and add some spaces between the pics... will help a whole bunch (along with some words to tell a bit about the pic.. so it isn't just a pic).  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Sideways pictures without some narrative are confusing at best.   smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jimdad07

Sorry guys, by the time I got done messing with the pics it was bed time.  I always load them on the full site and rotate them there.  At that point they show up right on the mobile site and then they're sideways on the full site.
That was a 21' long EWP log I'm cutting 10"x16" tie beams out of for my barn build.  Put it on the mill with the tractor, when it came time to turn the log I drove a rr spoke into the side of the log, hooked a rigging strap on the spike, took a wrap around the log and turned it with the loader.  My first cut looks like a washboard because I didn't have enough tension on the blade.  The following cuts were much better.

Ga Mtn Man

Looks like a good start to a big project.  Having some heavy equipment to do the log handling sure does open up the possibilities.

Hint:  It's easy to go back and modify a post. ;) 

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Klicker

Some of us are confused most of the time  8)
2006 LT 40 HD

jimdad07

I had a moment and messed around with the pics, they are showing up right on the mobile site now. Hopefully they are right on the full site.

rjwoelk

When I need to turn a large log, I take a strap, loop it through its self, then hook onto the forks. Make sure it pulls against the loop locking it. This way it self tightins. Have turned 36 ft logs 20 plus diam. No problem,  need to make a couple of turns just drop the forks and reposition the strap to the bottom of the log and lift.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Kbeitz

I use the curved end of a cant hook on the end of a chain.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bkaimwood

I'm confused all the time, but sure of one thing...glad I'm not an offbearer!!!!
bk

terrifictimbersllc

Better to be offbearing than overbearing! :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

jimdad07

Quote from: bkaimwood on November 04, 2015, 07:07:12 PM
I'm confused all the time, but sure of one thing...glad I'm not an offbearer!!!!

Good thing for tractors, only nine more of these guys to cut.

Thank You Sponsors!