iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar & chain gauge 0.050/0.058

Started by Allar, July 30, 2019, 12:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allar

Hey friends,

I have always used 0.058 gauge bar and chain, because that's what comes with husqvarna chainsaws.
But now seeing that Stihl has new NK 0.050 chain and so does husqvarna, i would like to try them out.

Is there something that i should be aware of when going from 0.058 to 0.050?

Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

lxskllr

Only real issue I could see is local availability for supplies. If you need .050 gauge stuff, you may have to order if they don't carry it near you. Everything around here is .050 gauge.

Caloren

As far as gauge goes, you just have to have the correct gauge bar to go with the chain. Of course you also need the correct sprocket and bar for the chain ie: .325, 3/8, 3/8lp, etc.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Allar

I order all my stuff from online anyway, so that's not going to be an issue.

Caloren yeah i'm aware of that. I was more worried about that narrower bar could be more prone to bending/rail wear.
But i have also heard that narrow kerf is better for a smaller saws, so it kinda makes sense to me.

sawguy21

What saw are you wanting to use it on? If you have a .325 sprocket or can fit one you are golden with the corresponding bar. If not you can't run the nk chain. The new chain is the same pitch and guage as Oregon 95VP which Husqvarna uses.
NK is nice on a 40-50cc saw, the narrow kerf means less waste and the saw does not work as hard.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Allar

I have a 50cc husqvarna 545 with .325 sprocket.

sawguy21

Order an Oregon Micro-Lite bar in .050 gauge, Stihl does not make them to fit other brands, and you are good to go.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!