iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Attention: Consulting foresters in the Southeast

Started by BrandonTN, March 07, 2013, 01:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonTN

Hello, hello!
Hope y'all are doing alright. Seeing as how I've recently (and finally) put all of the schooling behind me and am looking to start really working in forestry, I thought I'd put word out here on the board. I've been applying with the Forest Service and State departments all over the US, but thought networking for consulting work via forestry forum might bear some fruit.
Anyone know of any consulting foresters here based in the Southeast (especially TN and NC) who are looking for an entry level cruiser?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

WDH

Check Forest Tech in Athens, GA

Check F&W Forestry in Albany, GA

Check Forest Resource Consultants in Macon, GA

Check Resource Management Services in Birmingham, AL
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

BrandonTN

Phorester

Congratulations, Brandon.  One thing hindering a successful job search right now is the sluggish economy.  If you can't get the job you want, I'd get one affiliated with forestry somehow. The experience will help you move on from there when conditions improve. I wish you the best.

Ron Wenrich

When I graduated from college, there were few jobs available.  Government jobs were taken by returning vets, and industry jobs were few.  I sent out over 200 resumes, at a time when computers required punch cards, and cover letters were typed out on a manual typewriter.  I received one interview while in college from Weyerhauser, and they really were looking for mechanical engineers.

After graduation, I ended up working with surveyors and engineers.  It wasn't forestry work, but it was field work.  I kept looking for work, then did a stint on the West Coast as a choker setter.  Later, I moved on to inspecting telephone poles, before getting a job in the wood industry - lumber stacker at a local mill.

I ended up being the mill foreman, and the primary log scaler.  I learned a lot about the industry.  They let me go out and do procurement forestry work.  Another forester and I went into consulting work.  The skill set learned from procurement work was essential in the consulting field.  I eventually went back to consulting more on the industrial side than on the landowner side.  That is where I'm the most comfortable.

I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of roads that lead to a certain point.  Sometimes they're longer than other ones.  Sometimes there are a lot of diversions.  Don't give up, and enjoy the trip.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Phorester

BrandonTN

Phorester, yeah i am definitely planning on taking whatever forestry related job is available. i worked two summers as a seasonal on a Forest Service timber crew in Colorado... the plan now is to go back there in June. Thanks for the well wishing...Good luck with your efforts, too!

Ron, sounds like you really took the scenic route..i'll keep your story in mind...i'm not sure exactly yet where i'm going in forestry but i suppose that's what i'm gonna find out, eh? 'Don't give up and Enjoy the trip'....now that's some good advice!  ;)   Thank ya, sir.

wmrussel

Brandon,

I have a crew of contract foresters who timber cruise all over the south east US.  I generally use only experienced foresters, but would be willing to give you a shot if you can get me some references. 

If you're interested, I'll give you more information.  It's not a job, it's contract work.  You can make a lot of money if you're willing to travel and work VERY hard.

My name is William, but people call me Pete.  Long story......

BrandonTN

wmrussel, i'm totally interested in more info. i'll send you a private message.

ibseeker

Brandon,
Just a thought...vegetation management is required by utilities now, at least in CA and I'd guess it's that way across the nation.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Phorester

If you haven't checked out the VA Dept. of Forestry in awhile, there are 2 or 3 Forester positions and 1 or 2 technician positions open right now.

Okrafarmer

Brandon, how did you end up in Finland? Are you American? It sounds like you've been to the US a bit. Did you do your schooling in Finland?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

BrandonTN

I really appreciate the help, everyone!

ibseeker...Yeah, good idea there. I've seen those jobs advertised with utility companies, always an option.

WDH, thanks for passing along that thread. It's good for me to get to know people in the forestry world on here, and vice versa.

Okrafarmer, I got my bachelor's in forestry in TN, but went over to Finland for a master's program. I actually just arrived in Dufur, OR (approx. 2 hrs east of Portland) for a 5 month temp job on the Mt Hood NF. I'm working under a silviculturist doing TSI (timber stand improvement) stuff. My brother decided to come along with me and volunteer out here..he was in something of dead end. We drove 36 hours from east TN!!  8)  ::) ....And my car's burnin' a lot of oil! I'm probably gonna head back to my mom's in TN after this is over as I apply for permanent positions. Would like to hang around the southeast.....even though I'm from there, have yet to work in forestry there. Looking forward to that. Gonna try to get in on some fuels reduction/prescribed burning with the FS or whoever this Autumn in the South.

Ron Scott

What Ranger District are you working on the Mt. Hood NF? A great work location.
~Ron

Okrafarmer

Quote from: BrandonTN on July 08, 2013, 11:26:35 PM
Okrafarmer, I got my bachelor's in forestry in TN, but went over to Finland for a master's program. I actually just arrived in Dufur, OR (approx. 2 hrs east of Portland) for a 5 month temp job on the Mt Hood NF.

Ha! I actually know where that is, I remember having Dufur pointed out to me from a distance by my uncle. He and my aunt live in The Dalles, not far from Dufur. He took my dad and me for a ride up into the national forest there, and I got to see some nice Doug fir up close and personal. That was 22 years ago. I haven't managed to get out to Oregon since then.  :-\

BrandonTN

Ron, I'm on the Barlow District, the Eastside of the Cascades. Drier than the Westside. The forests are great indeed out here, some big ol' beautiful trees, though me and vine maple and rhododendron have exchanged some harsh words.  :D

A 12,000 fire was contained this week, which started on state lands in the Columbia River gorge and worked it's way onto the Barlow district here. I got to do some dozer line GPSing. Has been great to be involved in fire occasionally.

Okrafarmer, yep that's where I am. I buy groceries in the Dalles. We'll see if I get out of Oregon.

Thank You Sponsors!