iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Box Trap

Started by Upper, February 21, 2017, 09:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upper

Well I started with picture frames and now have moved up to Box Traps...

Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Jemclimber

It looks good. Can you show the details and how the trigger works?
lt15

Upper

I will post the finished picture when done,But in the mean time,there will be a hole drilled behind that custom handle.A 3/4 inch dowel will come up and out of the hole to about 2 inches below the mast.Another dowel will be wired to the first dowel and go over the mast to hold up the door.The first dowel is notched inside the trap to hold everything up.When the critter goes to the bait in the back it knocks the first dowel loose,and the door falls to the closed position.A thousand word picture to come...
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Savannahdan

I like the handle you've built into the top.  Most I've seen don't have one.  You'll need to age it some to make it more attractive for rabbits.  Some folks burn leaves inside to char it a bit. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WV Sawmiller

I hear you need to burn some leaves or smoke it real good after you catch a possum or a rabbit or such will never go in either.

I made one in Saudi Arabia when I was in Jeddah to catch feral cats. I used a coat hanger instead of a dowel for the trigger and sardines for bait. I had a heavy burlap bag I'd put in front and when I opened the door they'd jump in the bag and I'd tie it and drop them off at a dumpster site half way to work. Worked fine till I caught a big old Tom cat and while I reset the trap he sliced through my bag like he had a knife.

I have a couple I used for catching squirrels but they would not go in till I replaced the back board with hardware cloth and they could see through. Worked fine after that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dakota

My Dad built one of these traps for me when I was a kid.  They work very well for fox squirrels.  The fun was in the catch.  We always turned them loose.  We started marking them with a dab of fingernail polish, and found out how dumb fox squirrels are.
Dave Rinker

Kbeitz

That's a lot different than I build them.
I put in a floating ramp and a door that when shuts from the
inside can't be pushed open. This drawing has the side off to
see the inside. When whatever walks up the ramp and tilts
the wire pulls out from under the door and the door falls shut.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Upper

Kebitz that is surely a nice trap.But the lines and looks of mine gets me closer to the $300 mark.
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

I have seen that design. I think Hav-a-hart uses a similar trip pedal. I actually prefer the sliding/dropping door as I find it is easier to unload. Most any scared and wild animal is going to be dangerous to remove and with the sliding door you can place a bag over the front of the trap then lift the door and the animal will jump out into the bag. I don't like the thought of having to lift that hinged door with an angry/scared coon, cat or even a squirrel on the other side that close to my hand.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Just stand the box up on it's end and the door falls open.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Okay - that makes sense. I guess just stand it on end, put a bag over the end, lay it down upside down so the door stays open and the catch jumps out into the bag and you hope and pray it is not another skunk. :D
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!