iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawdust and a swing blade

Started by postville, September 01, 2011, 08:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postville

How and when do you get rid of the sawdust with a swing blade?
I think this is one part of sawing that can be a big problem as you get going with production. Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

Ianab

Yes it can be an issue, swingblades do make a bit of it.

But it's a coarse chip, compared to the fine stuff that a band saw makes. Means you can use it for animal bedding / garden mulch etc.

Depending on the species you are cutting you may even be able to bag it up and sell it.

If you are mobile, generally you just leave a patch of it to rot down into mulch.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sgschwend

As a stationary user I remove the sawdust twice a day.  I use a leaf blower and blow it off the mill and the mill frame (which has a wood deck). 

I now have a 1 cubic yard scoop bucket that I use to pick up the dust from the sides of the mill; a pass on each side for every 2000 bf.

I also convert the slabs into firewood every 500 bf. 

There is a bunch of extra work when you are stationary.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Collima

I have a 40yd dumpster that my dust collector shoots dust into. Once a month a guy comes with his roll off truck.  It gets mixed in with other biomass and burned at a biomass energy plant.  I put all of my cutoffs in the dumpster too. Works good for him and it works good for me. Win win!
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

sigidi

Recently had occasion to be stationary for a week or two at a time, ended up shoveling sawdust out of the rails and support legs at the end of each day, then a loader would take it away from there every couple of days. Most mobile jobs there isn't enough to bother with, but again if there is enough log, after couple of days I slide the mill over closer to the pile of logs, gives me new fresh ground and also don't have to roll logs from so far away.
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!