iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swingmill blade, suitable?

Started by Satamax, August 30, 2011, 06:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, daft question, would a blade like this

http://www.ebay.de/itm/EDESSO-HM-Sageblatt-Kreissageblatt-Zuschnitt-700-mm-LWZ-/360389504100?pt=Gartenbauwerkzeuge&hash=item53e8e36c64

Be suitable for a swing blade mill.

It's 27.5"

Thanks a lot guys.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Jeff

My instinct is no. It may even be a crosscut saw.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Not like any swing blade I've seen.

Generally you will run a blade with carbide cutters, 4 to 8 depending on blade size and HP that you have to drive it.

Rule of thumb is 2 or 3hp for each big carbide cutter on ANY big circle blade. My mill has 4 cutters and 8hp, the bigger, better ones, 24hp and 8 cutters.

When you go to a higher numbers of cutters like that, each "bite" still needs to cut though all the wood fibres, whether it's taking a 2mm bite, or a .5mm bite. So less cutters, with each one cutting out "Chips", not sawdust, is what gets you though the log faster.

A swing blade mill should be making "Chips", not sawdust.

Ian

Edit: I agree with Jeff's "instinct". That blade is for a crosscut or some sort of resaw, not a sawmill.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Satamax

Hi guys.

A 27.5 inch blade with 48 tooth for crosscuting? Log saw may be. It has limiters. But i bet it can rip. And i can get the limiters filled away by my sharpener.

What would you think about theses then?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Sawmill-Circular-Saw-Blade-45-Tooth-Carbide-/120769503934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e6c62be
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Jeff

Still not a swingsaw blade, those are regular circle sawmill blades. You would not want to turn one of those blades on the horizontal.  Why not just buy a swingmill blade from one of the manufacturers?

Satamax

Quote from: Jeff on August 30, 2011, 08:23:10 AM
Still not a swingsaw blade, those are regular circle sawmill blades. You would not want to turn one of those blades on the horizontal.  Why not just buy a swingmill blade from one of the manufacturers?

Huh? Does any make a 27 or 28 blade?

I tried to get the guy from turbo saw to sell me one. No way!

Jeff

Blades are generally made for a specialized operation. A swingmill blade is a pretty specialized tool.

WH_Conley

If you have a saw doc close he can show you in a matter of minutes why you don't want to go over the edge jury rigging a saw blade. Like Jeff said, they are designed for a specialized use. Step over the limits and it can get real ugly real fast.
Bill

Satamax

Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

What about big gang ripsaw blades with side scrapers?

That i can get localy.

Ron Wenrich

What kind of horsepower are you going to be using?  Ian gave you a pretty good description on the kind of horsepower you'll be needing to pull the saws. 

I have 2 edgers that I use.  One is horizontal, and one is vertical.  Neither are a guided system.  If recollection serves me, they're 22" saws.  They work the same as a gang rip, since they rip boards.  A bull edger can often do gang ripping.  The rule of thumb is 5hp per once of stock you're cutting.  I'm using a 60 hp electric on the vertical, and 50 hp on the horizontal edgers.  I'm running 2 saws.

You can cut back on the hp, but you'll have to cut back on the number of teeth.  If you don't, you'll overfeed your saws for the amount of hp, and hang the saws.  You can bend them when doing that.  You will create lots of heat, and your saws won't last very long. 

Are you building a saw or do you already own a swing mill?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Satamax

Hi Ron.

Well, i'm exploring options about swingmills.

I have 5.5 and 7.5 400V three phase motors.

It would be daft to build one if i can't get blades!

Ron Wenrich

But, you can get blades designed for swingmills.  Lucas & Peterson are both swing mill manufacturers that can get you blades.  Both have advertising banners on the left side of the page.  Menominee Saw is another supplier of blades designed for sawmills.  They can also steer you in the right direction.

If you're building your own, then use the blades that are best suited.  I'm pretty sure these guys have looked at other styles of blades and found these best suited for the job.  No need to reinvent the wheel. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Satamax

I've had another reply. D&L don't sell blades to diyers! :( What i would like is something able to cut 10x10".

Forezienne told me that they can make one. But at what kind of price?!

5quarter

One of our members, Pitotshock I think, made his own swing blade from a large cement saw blade. While it can be done if you have the skills and the tools, I would recommend buying one from Lucas. Expensive yes, but not as expensive as your funeral will be after you have the accident.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

barbender

A friend with a diy 8" swinger just got a new blade for his from Bailey's
Too many irons in the fire

Satamax

Quote from: barbender on August 30, 2011, 07:27:06 PM
A friend with a diy 8" swinger just got a new blade for his from Bailey's

Okay, thanks a lot.

I've had a reply, Lucas doesn't sell to non lucas mill owners for insurance reasons.

It's looking grim on the blade shopping side!

Jeff

Contact member captain. I think he was making or having some made, after market blades.

Satamax

Ok, i'll see that!

The german guy said that the blade showed in my first post was suitable for a swingmill. Huh, i'm not quite sure now! :D

Quote from: Dangerous_Dan on January 30, 2006, 10:20:14 PM
Motor is 15 hp 3 phase.
Blade is the Simmonds 8 inch cut Lucas copy from Bailey's. $150
I currently have it geared for 2500 rpm but I'm told the lucas blade should run at 3600 rpm.  Anyone have experience running this blade at different speeds? I have not even run the motor yet.
The frame is 2 inch OD .095 wall, round tubing (another great scrapyard find, 30 brand new pieces still bundled with tag, $95).
What else you wanna know??

Dangerous Dan, where are you?

Well, Bailleys doesn't seem to sell that blade anymore!

Jeff

sgschwend

Lucas has a saw that cuts 10" deep.  That Bailey's link should get you there.

steve
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Satamax

Quote from: Jeff on August 31, 2011, 10:39:59 AM
They have plenty of different blades for sale.

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?PageNo=1&skw=lucas+blade

Well, 150 dols for the simmonds blade against 239 for the lucas. in 21".

If i could have the simmonds, i'd be happier!

I've seen my sharpener today. Gave him a pic and specs and all for some of the swing blades mills, and he'll do a quote for me.

Dangerous_Dan

The first blade I bought was a simonds copy blade from baileys cost $150.
When I went to buy a second blade all they offered was the original Lucas blade (made by Opteco) and it was $200.
Both blades work well but the simonds cuts quieter. If you put one on top of the other the geometry is a little different. Both take the same tips.
I'm happy running either blade. As for the price, sometimes you have to suck it up and pay a little more.
What's easier, screwing around for hours or days trying to save a few bucks or just pay up and get back to work.  Cutting a few extra boards to pay for the difference in price can be faster and easier than searching for a deal.

DD
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Satamax

Quote from: Dangerous_Dan on August 31, 2011, 10:24:53 PM
The first blade I bought was a simonds copy blade from baileys cost $150.
When I went to buy a second blade all they offered was the original Lucas blade (made by Opteco) and it was $200.
Both blades work well but the simonds cuts quieter. If you put one on top of the other the geometry is a little different. Both take the same tips.
I'm happy running either blade. As for the price, sometimes you have to suck it up and pay a little more.
What's easier, screwing around for hours or days trying to save a few bucks or just pay up and get back to work.  Cutting a few extra boards to pay for the difference in price can be faster and easier than searching for a deal.

DD

Thanks a lot for the reply Dan.

Well, i have time to shop around, suffering from insomnia, and i'm still in the research process. I'm in France, so blades from the us are expensive, with shipping, taxes etc! May be at 150, i would go under the tax limit. There's a point under which they don't bother anymore. Anyway, i've found simmonds on the net. I'll ask dem!

sigidi

You could even try contacting opteco via the internet?
Always willing to help - Allan

Satamax

Thanks a lot Sigidi.

I'll search. For the verry moment i'm on another track.

Thank You Sponsors!