iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huge lancelot? mad idea!

Started by Satamax, August 06, 2019, 02:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Well guys, i post this here, because it could touch several parts of the forestry and milling jobs. 

I'm in search for a huge blade, to make a firewood processor. 

I would like to have a circular saw. But these are expensive. 

And something crossed my wicked neurons. 

Would it be possible to make a huge lancelot? 

I don't even think this would be of much interest. But who am i to judge without trying. 

Con's, chainsaw chain, so you hit something, you have to re sharpen. Compared to a carbide blade. 

Pro, faster to re sharpen on the spot, than a carbide blade. Or at least easier. 

But the same as a chainsaw bar on a processor. 

More rigid i would think than a chainsaw bar. 

May be easy to make. 

What's your opinion guys? 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

doc henderson

of course it is possible.  the question would be, why have they not done it already.  maybe did not think of it, or maybe the wide kerf takes too much power to saw, hard to balance a larger disc., maybe, not stable in other ways.  easy to change a chain and sharpen used ones.  there used to be round chainsaw bars, not anymore, might have been heavy, and use more chain.  may not get all the way through a log as easy.  is it really better than a bar and chain?  could call the company and ask, they may know why it is not a good idea.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Satamax

Quote from: doc henderson on August 06, 2019, 03:27:30 AM
of course it is possible.  the question would be, why have they not done it already.  maybe did not think of it, or maybe the wide kerf takes too much power to saw, hard to balance a larger disc., maybe, not stable in other ways.  easy to change a chain and sharpen used ones.  there used to be round chainsaw bars, not anymore, might have been heavy, and use more chain.  may not get all the way through a log as easy.  is it really better than a bar and chain?  could call the company and ask, they may know why it is not a good idea.  
Yep, all of that  ;D  
Balancing, who needs balancing anyways! :D

Thanks a lot for your reply. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

doc henderson

my pleasure, I am working nights and it is 5 am here.  what is your local time.  if you make a 3 foot one and put it on a hand held grinder, be sure to don safety equipment and make a video!!! 8) :D :)
and yes it is a mad idea!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

The dish to maintain edge pressure on those is wider than the kerf, they are edge cutters only. Scaling that up that only gets worse, it won't be able to cut through anything as a 3 piece assembly, as a one piece body I don't know how you would mount a chain tightly enough. I think either an insert tooth circular saw or a chainbar would be the better solution. I usually come back to, conventional is conventional for a reason.

Satamax

Thanks guys. Doc, when you posted, it was about 12 here. 

Don p. OK. So i can ditch the idea. Thanks. 

Riwaka

Depends on the size of the firewood logs.

Sharpening machine harvester/ processor chain  - Oregon etc have these larger saw chain sharpeners.
Sharpening harvester chains with diesel dog! - YouTube

fire wood circ saw blade machine  - to show how quickly a narrow kerf saw blade can slice firewood log.
8000 Series Circular Saw Firewood Processor - YouTube

I guess you know or have the automatic bandsaw sharpening machines?
Use the bandsaw to break down the logs for firewood, then crosscut with smaller disc saw blade set up?
vollmer etc up to 51 inch/ 1.3 metre saw blade auto machines.
VOLLMER circular saw blade grinding machines for maximum efficiency
CNC making saw teeth/ carbide tip holder on blade
Loroch solution K850 - YouTube

carbide teeth auto apply to saw blade
Braze Solutions Induction Saw Blade Carbide Brazing Machine - YouTube

Riwaka

Might be more affordable - semi -automatic brazing machine for saw blades.
Have some one make the saw blades for you and you have better control over the tungsten carbide tip selection and application/ maintenance.

Gerling Brazing Machine Model GLH - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!