iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cresent Rockwell P24 Planer

Started by geraldhale, October 14, 2011, 11:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldhale

I bought one at a auction some years back and got the idea of hooking it back up and was hoping someone might know a little about these? mainly is there a good place to still order parts?
lt40 super,Meadows edger,Weinig moulder,24" Rockwell planer, Salem mill,Cornell edger,Pop up end trim, Fulgum chipper, Baker resaw, hazledine pointer, Landen strapping machine, John deere 480B lift, Case W20 wheel loader.

T Welsh

I have a Cresent 8" jointer and it a killer machine! I love old iron,built to last a life time. from a little research I found out its a early to middle 50,s era machine. Cresent was bought out by rockwell and then Delta bought them out. as for getting parts? good hunting, these machines can always be fixed,but I do not think you will find parts for them off the shelf. you will have to get creative and swap,fabricate and make what you need. A machine shop can make anything you need!blades can be custom made to order,bearings can be repoured and reinstalled. thats the draw back of old iron. Tim

geraldhale

Thanks for the reply, Ya I found that information on its age on another site myself, just spent the day getting it into my building and cleaning it, I think its in fair to good condition considering I left it out side in the rain for the last three to four years.
I have been sawing pallet lumber and some pine for the last 10 years but thats slowed way down but I have a customer that wants s2s kiln dried popular and thought this would be just the machine for the job.

I know there are people still useing these planers and Im hopeing that there may be someone that checks out this site that runs one and can point me in a good dirrection, I was kind of hoping it might be like a Frick sawmill and there may still be places that have some parts for them?
Right of the top the main drive motor is missing, it would be nice to have a dirrect drive motor but I can run it off a belt drive, and Im hoping I can maybe change out the cutter head for a spiral but Im not sure if I can or not? I would think so?
I also know how much some like pictures so I took some today and will try and post them?
lt40 super,Meadows edger,Weinig moulder,24" Rockwell planer, Salem mill,Cornell edger,Pop up end trim, Fulgum chipper, Baker resaw, hazledine pointer, Landen strapping machine, John deere 480B lift, Case W20 wheel loader.

Larry

The OWWM site is your best bet for info and parts.  Running in tandem with that site is Vintage Machinery which is a repository for all kinds of info (dirty paper).  You should be able to get a manual and parts breakdown from that site.

If you put in your profile where your located that might help...who knows your neighbor may be running the same machine.

Next weekend a group of us running old machines from across the nation are getting together in Branson to swap parts, machines, and tell tall tales.  Were a splinter group off OWWM.

Your welcome to join in.

http://owammos.com/
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

T Welsh

Larry, Thats where I found out about my jointer,researched it to death and finally found a photo of a like machine. it was kind of funny his serial number was exactly 200 less than my number and he lived about 7 states away. Tim

geraldhale

Im sorry I thought I had my location in my profile, thats a good point because one of the first things I noticed on T Welsh was he was in Pa.
Ive been on the vintage iron site and looked at a four page parts break down and a four page  sales add and that was good information, I have seen the other site but I dont know if I opened it or not? I may not need any parts at this point anyway there is a pulley on the main shaft and I know the rpm the head runs at so I can mount a motor on the floor and call up Brown machinary and they can send me a pulley for the motor to run it at the correct speed, I will have to take the belts off to get in the side door and build a gaurd over the belts though, I also found the owners, set up and parts manuals on ebay so I think I will buy them.
Thanks for the replies

Ironwood

Last known supplier for P-24 parts was someone who had bought the "rights" and blueprints they were in Columbiana Ohio. I belive they were a foundry business. The thing that goes bad are the rubber things on the infeed roller. They harden and then provide no cushion to the roller on the wood.The rubbers are behind or under the steel face of the sererated infeed roller. That was the reason most people dumped those units. OWWM is THE site to track down info. I grew up near Columbiana that's how I knew the info. The foundry was on the South side of the small town headed out to Leetonia, there was an industrial park there, I think that is where they were located.  My step father had a fruit stand right outside of Leetonia, where early Cresents were built. I am an ole arn buff, I have a catalog from Cresent 1905, I have owned many of the machines in the catalog at one point of another.  ::)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

geraldhale

My picture attempt!

COOL!!! I got it to work, I know how much people like pictures on here so Im going to start adding them.

geraldhale

Ok Im going to try and do the picture thing, as I said I bought this at an auction a few years ago and thought I would fix it up, I have put it in a building on the foundation of another planer that I sold this last summer and cleaned it up, I had to make a motor mount and I installed a 10 hp motor to the floor, its not a dirrect drive but I sized the pulleys to run the head at the right rpm and it cuts really good.
I also ordered some parts to hook it up to the blower that was allready in the building and hooked that up and decided to fix the building up so I could put heat and Air in it, the building is 28x65 now but will be 40x65 after I get done with 26x65 being inclosed shop and the back part staying the way it is now being 14x65, it houses the band mill and edger.
We layed the block and I just got down bolting down the sill plate, the building will have two 17' doors on each end and two walk threw doors and I will post the pictures I just took.
Thanks in advance to the FF for letting me learn and play with posting my pics

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=27639&pos=8

T Welsh

geraldhale, I want to see the pictures of your set up with all that room I would never get away from the auctions buying equipment and machines to fill all that space. I,m jealous. restoring old iron is a lot of fun,I did the same with my Cresent jointer,wore a wire cup brush out on it, lots of sand paper and a gallon of wd-40. it looks better than new. Tim

geraldhale

Still playing!
This picture thing is hard for me! I get one to post then struggle like crazy trying to figure out what I did to post another! lol
If I could only tighten a nut or drive a nail in this thing I think I could make it do what I want!!!

I think I may have this figured out now!
This is a pic of the motor mount I had to make, I used to have several of them around but I used a few when I put in my descrambler and end trim on my big mill and gave a couple away.

A little old stuff and a little new on the pipe

geraldhale

lol I was thinking as I was bolting down the sill plate that it was to small, the building in the back ground is 60x120 and its a little small for the mill thats in it, this building wasnt much but it had three phase power allready in it and a nice dust collection system for the wood mizer and edger so Im going to try and make something nice out of it.

This is a pic of what my wife calls the space ship, lol I want to expand the dust collection to hold dry planer shavings and keep the sawdust seperate, this should hold about a small dump truck load and Im hoping there might be a market for it at a horse racing track just up the road a few miles?

This pic kinda shows the four poles I just put in the ground for the cyclone, I still have to build a band on top of the poles for it to sit on and then probly get a crane to sit it? the poles are 14' tall then a 9' frame and the cyclone its self is around 25 feet tall so that will be a chore.

T Welsh

geraldhale, I,m still  jealous. your going industrial on us ;D I like it. looked at your pictures and its seems you have all the room and the right toy,s to get r done. Tim

David Luca

I have worked on several P-24 planers. I have one that I rebuilt and still use. I am trying to sell it because I do no have the space anymore. I am unaware of anyone selling repl parts . I made new feed shafts and pressed in new 1-1/4" sleeve bearings in the blocks on the upper and lower in feed and out feed rollers. The chip breaker should be disassembled and each "tooth" should be wire wheeled. The springs should also be replaced on those teeth. This keeps the wood from tearing out after the cutter head cuts. The bed rollers should be set no more than .020" above the table when planing rough sawn wood. If You check owwm you should be able to find a manual . If not I will try to scan my manual and email it to you. You planer looks like it is possibly from the 50's. It has the newer style frame but it still has the cast aluminum doors and hood. The planer was basically the same from 1938 to sometime in the 60's when Rockwell stopped making them.  If you need the manual send me a message and I will scan it this weekend.  

geraldhale

Quote from: T Welsh on November 01, 2011, 08:28:57 PM
geraldhale, I,m still  jealous. your going industrial on us ;D I like it. looked at your pictures and its seems you have all the room and the right toy,s to get r done. Tim

lol Not going industrial Im kinda trying to cut back, my big mill takes around 6 to 7 people to run, when I ran it full time and I would have a break down I would send three of them to run the wood mizer or clean up while I fixed the big mill or I might go over and run the little mill some by myself or with a helper.
I hope to sell the big mill and just cut a little a on my small mill and play in my shop?

David thanks for the info, I have found a manual on line for around $20 so I ordered it and I will do as you said with the chip braker.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

GeraldHale,

Looks like you got the picture thing down pat.

Good job on the pictures and good progress on the restore and facilities upgrade.

Be Careful!

Herb

geraldhale

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on November 03, 2011, 09:51:05 AM
GeraldHale,

Looks like you got the picture thing down pat.

Good job on the pictures and good progress on the restore and facilities upgrade.

Be Careful!

Herb

Thanks,
I may have to put a hold on my building upgrade, got a lot of big taxes and x-mas that I think is going to eat up my play money for a few weeks? but I will do the picture thing as I go along.
I had a decent little wood working shop in the old mill but all the equipment got pushed into a corner as that mill grew and got busy and now its just to hard to get in there but as I get this futher along I have a nice Baker A resaw and whirlwind pop up saw as well as three shapers and two table saws, two band saws, jointer, drill press and such and Im looking forward to giving them a proper home again!!! lol

T Welsh

geraldhale, Sounds like you about to step back and smell the roses,so to speak! I did the same thing about 5 years ago and have had a constant smile ever since. enjoy your toys ;D Tim

geraldhale

Lots and lots of work done around here since I last posted so Im going to try and post pics!!!

geraldhale

this is the new shop building, the last I posted pics it was just a foundation

We thought the 24" planer needed a friend so we put in a Weinig moulder

I went to the Va tech solar kiln class a few months ago and this is my attempt at it. lol

Baker A resaw, Ive had this for a good ten years its a handy thing to have sometimes!

Theses are tapered sawn cypress shingles, we made over 50,000 of these on the Baker a few years ago for President James Madisons Montpelier renovation

This is my secound wood mizer, the first I got around 1995? this one I got in 2005 its a 40 super electric with everything on it except the laser light.
Its set up with a live log deck, live off convayor, Meadows edger, mellot role case and a 30 foot green chain.

sawmillhand

SUPER Jealous!!!   Thats a great setup  lots of hard work and time.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

geraldhale

Thanks, Ive been steady at it the last year or so.

Ironwood

Very nice, I have foundation, building, roof, equipment envy  ;D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!