iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which new bandsaw?

Started by dudders, July 14, 2020, 08:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dudders

It's time to move on from my Trekkasaw to something quicker to set up.  I can't be bothered with taking the mill to the log anymore - I've ended up bringing the log to the saw, as it makes everything so much easier.  The Trekkasaw is fine if you can leave it set up, but I can't do that.  It has to be put away after use and brought out when needed, which is not a lot, to be honest.  So I want to be able to pull the mill out and be sawing within minutes, no faffing about for an hour.  Often enough it's only one log to be done, or a beam to be reduced in dimensions.

So I'm looking for a trailer-mounted, petrol-driven mill, capable of taking 8-30" diameter timber.  I do need to turn out feather-edge weatherboard, so that is a requirement.  I'm in the UK south-east.

Logosol B751 Pro looks good, but can't do weatherboard.  Norwood LM29 is appropriate, but the costs quickly mount up when you start putting together all the bits you need.  I find their website very difficult to use, however it is in the running.  Woodmizer never answered my query.  What else should I look at?  I've had enough experience of Chinese tools to know I don't want any of that...   Thanks for any recommendations.

farmfromkansas

If you were in Missouri or Kansas, could give you some advise, but don't know what is available in the UK. I have a mill built in USA.  Those swing mills are interesting, could you not just set up in a shelter, so you could leave it set up? Have not heard of this Trekkasaw.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Gere Flewelling

There is a company in the state of Maine,USA that builds bandsaws.  I have seen you-tube videos from someone in the UK that has one they have used successfully and seemed very happy with it.  The company is Thomas Bandsaw Mills.  They apparently have the process figured out and are willing to ship a mill over to your country.  I  don't own one of their mills but have checked them out at their facility and at shows.  They look to be well built.  I don't know how they fit into your price range, but it might be worth a look.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Southside

Woodmizer has a branch in Maidstone.  Welcome to the Forum 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hilltop366

Quote from: dudders on July 14, 2020, 08:03:36 AMfeather-edge weatherboard

Welcome to the Forestry forum dudders.

I've seen several different manufactures make a jig for tapered siding most look like they could be used on any mill with little to no modifications as they are usually set on top of the log bunks, also lots of DIY jigs made with some as simple as a small piece of wood that is placed under the edge of a cant every other cut or re-sawing boards into 2 tapered pieces with a sloped table under the saw blade. A Forestry Forum or internet search should find you some examples.

What I am getting at is I would not let the lack of a siding attachment stop me from getting the mill I want.

bobnic

Thomas Bandsaw Mills includes a clapboard (feather edge) siding mechanism as standard equipment on all their models.  It is not a jig, but an adjustment arm that tilts the saw head to make it very easy to saw tapered siding.  I have one of their mills and have been very happy with it.
Thomas 2413

thecfarm

I think Thomas has the only mill that will do. A very good idea. 
I have movable bunks on my Thomas mill. So I can saw a piece of firewood with no jig. One reason I bought it. Has the same clutch as a chainsaw too. Can't spell it, but press the throttle to rev up motor, let go and it will idle down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dudders

Quote from: bobnic on July 14, 2020, 11:49:00 AM
Thomas Bandsaw Mills includes a clapboard (feather edge) siding mechanism as standard equipment on all their models.  It is not a jig, but an adjustment arm that tilts the saw head to make it very easy to saw tapered siding.  I have one of their mills and have been very happy with it.
Does it actually tip the head?  From their demo video, it looks like a roller pushes up (or down) on the blade, forcing it to cut at an angle.  That didn't look sensible to me, as I'd have thought more pressure would be put on the main bearings and cause wear.  
But if the whole sawhead tilts, that would be just right.
Woodland Mills have just such a system, but their mill is made in China and looks like to a budget, so I'm out of that.

dudders

OK - disregard that, please!  I've been directed to a video on the dreaded Facebook - a place I normally keep well away from - and this shows it pretty clearly.  Seems the head does tilt, and very easily too.  Impressive.

Here's a point though - in my extensive research into makers and models of bandsawmills, trying to find the right one for me, it emerges that there's not one new mill available in the UK that's made in the USA.  I can't find one that's made in the UK either, but that's no surprise!  We're all into hairdressers, nailbars and coffeeshops, not making stuff anymore.

I seem to have looked at them all, but if I want to go to a British dealer and buy a mill with no fuss over importing one myself, they're all made in Eastern Europe or China.  One exception - Logosol, made in Sweden.  There's no US presence over here, which seems a missed opportunity, given the solid build quality.  I guess it's a niche market, and I know we Brits tend to want everything cheap, so it's probably our own fault.

btulloh

https://woodmizer.co.uk/

USA made.  Solid reputation.  Full spectrum of mills from entry-level to very high end.
HM126

farmfromkansas

I thought it was just being Scotch that made us cheap.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!