iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4/53 Turbo

Started by Autocar, November 03, 2010, 02:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I'am not to far from rebuilding or replacing my detroit in my treefarmer. My question would you have it rebuilt or buy a remanufactured one ? I look it over and hear how easy it is to rebuild one but when I pull my book out and read about whats all required to get it all timed ect. it kind of gives me the willeys  :D Ive never been one who says it can't be done but at the same time you have to know your ability on some things. The back two cylinders are weak and now sence it has turn off colder when I get it started it is only running on two cylinders. Then after a minuite or so it must warn up and hit on all four. It has to affect the pulling power but so far I am able to pull anything I grapple. It has a blower and turbo they also should be looked at to I figure. Buy now all I see is dollar signs.
Bill

bushmechanic

My advice to you would be go with a rebuilt that was done at a reputable shop.Contrary to what people say those engines are not easy to rebuild,there are a lot of moving parts in that engine,and to do justice to a rebuild you have to check everything and replace what is worn.In my experience you can use a 53 series until there is practically nothing left internally but then you have to do a complete rebuild not just bearings and rings but the whole nine yards.You should do a compression check because you may have a couple of problem -matic injectors,also check your feul lines for restrictions from dirt as it will give you the same functions as a dead cylinder(dirt holds up around 90 degree fittings like goes into the filters).

Thank You Sponsors!