iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Resonator

I see old Iron Mules for sale on CL locally if your looking for a parts machine.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on November 17, 2021, 02:58:52 PMme saved like $500 today in normal person dollars

lol  :D  :D  normal person dollars!  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mudfarmer

Ouch everybody! If you haven't gotten bit by this week then you better hold onto your hat cause it's one of those.

A minor issue, old brittle zip tie broke and poor routing melted wire insulation on exhaust manifold - real nice dead short (unfused!) SMOKED the battery. Master disconnect and fire extinguisher mandatory if you live on the junk side of the moon  :-*

Hope things get better for everyone or at least not worse

Tacotodd

ALWAYS hope for the better.

Like I tell people: I've been better, I've been worse; but I'll take the better any day.
Trying harder everyday.

chevytaHOE5674

This axle is built by ford. Most of the parts are the same as a Ford 7700 tractor axle, they even come with the ford casting numbers in them.

The issue isn't so much finding parts its the cost to the customer. Buying every single gear, bearing, race, shaft, etc individually is prohibitively costly. 

Tacotodd

Is it (realistically) possibly to acquire a rebuild kit along with the pieces that are not in the kit to do a complete job? Kinda like a full on build to an automotive unit. I did that (but with salvage pieces) to a housing for a 1st gen Bronco for the SAS conversion on my little Tacoma. Besides, I wasn't going to be using any of the other stuff that came on the housing anyway, major upgrades for my unit, like wheel patterns and such. I'll tell more about it if anyone is curious. 
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

yes, from the ford A62 wheel loader i presume.   

i understand on the cost.    
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

A "rebuild kit" would likely get you the bearings and seals. But hard parts like planetary sets, shafts, ring and pinion, planetary ring gears, etc all need to be purchased separately. 

I'd like to find a complete axle, but thats not an easy task.

Last resort will be to buy a ford 7000 or 7700 tractor and gut it for parts.

mike_belben

a dead wheel loader will get you two of the right axles, tractor only one. 
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

A dead Ford wheel loader would be ideal but isn't as common as a tractor. Ford made a couple thousand wheel loaders and a couple hundred thousand tractors. Tractor requires swapping guts into this housing, dead wheel loader only has one correct axle (one reverse ring and pinion).

If it was mine I would probably part the machine out and be done with it. The front half is a ford 7700 tractor without a front axle and the inside of that differential has all kinds of the internal castings busted out. Once upon a time the pinion bearings broke the casting so somebody welded what they could back together so the pinion bearings are only sorta supported. The dual power splitter has been bolted together so it doesn't function. List goes on. But its not mine so I only do as I'm asked and paid to do.

mike_belben

i was gonna say its stupid to make a reverse gearset when they could just flip the housing but then remembered that the pinion would then be driving the coast side of the ring gear tooth.

i think if that tired machine were mine i would find a pair of 10 lug dana 80s or some duece or 5 ton rears and just weld the rim centers.  those are all cheap and very stout. mega trucks do outrageous things with outrageous horsepower on D80s.  Fsuperduty uhaul fleets were the easiest place to find matching pairs in my scrap life. i used to buy them by weight for $220 each, often with 5.13s.  14 bolt is a really good axle but the price has gone way up and supply way down now that rockbouncers are cutting them into steers.  

honestly 5tons are overkill for a mule, i have 4 of them here. rockwell F106 from F700 type MDTs use a 6.xX ish ratio and are commonly what backyard monster track axles are built from by grafting planetary steer knuckles. IH schoolbuses were 20K juice brake square tube with standard big 10 pattern.. i couldnt even get scrap weight money on them. i have a row lined up for a long time before they got sheared, and i wish i bought 4 of them. 
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Problem is the front axle is the rear axle of a tractor, attached directly to the transmission and engine. No way of swapping that without serious machine work and fabrication (would have to make a place to seal the transmission housing, support the output shaft, then have an output shaft made to accept a yoke of some sort, then couple that to an axle adding considerable overall length). And to match the front axle the rear needs a 9.7x something ratio which isn't too common.

mike_belben

Yeah thats a major project.  Its too bad they built em that way. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Ive lit myself on fire plenty of times but this is the first incident that wrecked 2 good sweatshirts.  Dangit.

Not sure what im doing here but im doing something.

Praise The Lord

newoodguy78

barbender

You're in Tennessee, don't you need any sleeveless sweaters? When life hands you lemons...😁
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Resonator

One thing I have learned torch cutting and grinding, holes worn into Carhart jackets are good places for spatter to collect, and the thread frayed edges tend to catch sparks. 
Sniff, sniff, sumpthin's burn'n... :o ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

nativewolf

Good place to post something I guess:  so our poor truck took another beating crossing a river the other day and we start hearing a rumbling sound from rear, like driving on rumble strips, when at higher speeds.  Park it at the house and start checking rear wheels, driveline (a bit of play) and finally check rear diff oil and realize it is a bit low so I think well it is likely the drive shaft and I'd go ahead and change the rear diff oil while it is parked.  Open the rear diff cover and out fall the two cap bolts for the passenger side axle.   :D.  Yeah...I think I found the rumbling sound.  Gesh.

SO anyway one bolt is broken so I drill it and work out with a torx head tapped into a slightly small drill'd hole (very nice trick).  I then want to go around and get the bolts so I can put it back together and drive it til I can get a reputable shop to figure out the driveline/axle issue.  Well local Ford folks won't sell me the cap bolts, only sell me the full housing that comes with the bolts :(.  I can't find online.  I finally am about to just put in grade 8 bolts when, genius for me, I call the Ford shop 6 hours away at my parents house.  They also don't have them but they can order them from Ford and have them there in 12 hours.  So anyway a happy short term solution that keeps the truck moving for the month while we get things sorted on finding a shop to do some work and not gut the piggybank.  
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

If your talking about the bearing cap bolts they hold the carrier in place. If gone that means the carrier was able to move away under thrust from the pinion. The ring and pinion are likely shot. Wouldn't be surprised if the axle bearings are shot as well from the axle not running true in the housing. Would make sure to inspect and measure the bearing cap and housing to make sure the bearing being loose and spinning didn't wreck the housing.

If it was mine I would probably source a junkyard low mile axle as it will be significantly cheaper than a rebuild. 

nativewolf

Chevy that's what we figure as well.  I am looking, in the meantime the truck moves and that is amazing I guess in own right. 
Liking Walnut

newoodguy78

If you end up going that route be sure to have the vin number handy to verify you're getting the proper ratio. Swapped one out in our market truck a year ago and was amazed how many ratio possibilities there was. Ended up calling three different ford dealers to make sure the info I got all lined up. Really wasn't bad swapping it out. 

nativewolf

Quote from: newoodguy78 on November 23, 2021, 02:47:12 PM
If you end up going that route be sure to have the vin number handy to verify you're getting the proper ratio. Swapped one out in our market truck a year ago and was amazed how many ratio possibilities there was. Ended up calling three different ford dealers to make sure the info I got all lined up. Really wasn't bad swapping it out.
Right, done that axle lookup several times now.  The good news about being so close to DC is the number of junkyards.  I think there are 50 rear axles within an hour.  I'll get one next week.
Liking Walnut

barbender

I'll give my .02 from the other side of the coin😁 Those gears and bearing are tough. While I probably wouldn't replace a bunch of expensive parts without a complete replacement or a rebuild either, what do you have to lose at this point if you just run it? Let me give you for an example, my 01 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. I call it either, " Ol' Smokey" or "The Heavy Chevy" depending on my mood at the moment. 345K on the odometer, it has so many issues I wouldn't even know where to start. It seems like everytime I get a seal or whatever to quit leaking, it just pops a leak somewhere else. It has a head gasket leak that will randomly make a half gallon of antifreeze disappear, as it pressurizes the cooling system. It really makes a "POP!" when you pull the cap off😂 What's my point? Well, the stupid thing still gets me to the woods everyday, can handle my 14K dump trailer loaded just fine, it's beat up enough that I don't feel bad when I back into stuff out in the woods (common😂). Unfortunately getting the head gaskets done would cost more than the truck is worth. Honestly, most repairs are more than it's worth. So I just keep driving her until one day it won't go anymore, even with all of my band-aids. Oh, in the midst of all my seal changing and hole plugging stories, I forgot the one that was pertinent to your situation. I had a rear wheel seal leaking. I changed the son of a gun 3 times, and the last time I change the wheel bearings too because I could not figure out what the problem was. So for about a year while all this played out, my one axle always had 80-90 all over it. One day, I must've went to long without topping off the rear end and when I got out to the woods, Lord mercy I had me a fahr!😂 Thankfully I had a hand pump of water because of the dry conditions we were having, and I didn't have to deploy my fire extinguisher. But what happened was I basically ran the rear end and axles dry😬 The bearings on the leaky wheel got so hot it caught the accumulated grime on fire. So I went for one more try on the wheel seal. What happened, as it turns out was the person I bought it from must've changed the seal, but they didn't get the inner flange of the old seal off. This was a two piece seal, the inner seal is metal and blended perfectly with the machined steps on the axle. So the whole time I was putting seals in and the was a piece of the old one on there🤦🏻‍♂️ Bearings had a bit of a straw color, in steel tempering terms😁 I didn't look the gears over, I'll get a chance when I put a pinion seal in it next😂 But I don't really care what they look like, my guess is all that stuff will be working fine when something else big let's go and relegates the poor thing to the scrap yard.
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

Our my scenario where I cheaped out and replaced just bad pinion bearings (outer pinion bearing was so bad you couldn't keep a u-joint and yoke together), could never get the gear pattern exactly the same with the new bearings as the old. After 250k miles the ring and pinion didn't like the change in pattern. So they decided to eat themselves at 3am, 400 miles from home with a sleeping wife and baby in the truck. So my cheap fix ended up costing big when I had to paid to have it towed and fixed as I had nothing more than hand tools along for the ride.

Its a toss up, if you don't mind being stranded someplace then I guess just run it til she blows.

Thank You Sponsors!