iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly 1066R drum sander

Started by LarryG, October 23, 2021, 06:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryG

Does anyone have the Grizzly 1066R drum sander? On mine I had to change the paper the first time on one of the drums it was making gouges in the wood. So I got the manual out took it apart and the second drum paper was over lapping it self. I took the paper of and the length of it doesn't even match what the manual says for length. It was 4" longer and cut at 18" for the angle than what the manual says to make it. It says the felt on that drum is to be cut back 1" back for strapping tape to adhere to the drum and it wasn't. So what do you cut your paper at? And has anyone ever used the same paper grit on both drums for a finer finish. 
Woodland Mills 126
Yanmar 424 Tractor

Brad_S.

I bought a used G1066 and have buyers remorse. I think it is a royal POS.
I have never had success keeping paper on the drums and the sanding is uneven. It is also woefully underpowered. I never got it to work well enough to use it and be able to answer your questions. 

As far as the angle, I use the string trick rather than a protractor. Wrap a string around the circumference of the drum and mark it then lay that string across the width of the paper and draw a line from mark to mark. 

I have heard others say they will run a board through multiple times before adjusting depth so using the same grit on both drums makes more sense to me than two different grits if you are just going to run it through repeatedly at one setting.

I am going to convert it to hook and loop and give it one more chance but it will most likely be heading down the road.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!