iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The trees talk to me.

Started by Jeff, November 03, 2021, 07:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

HemlockKing

That sound drives me nuts(trees squeeking), more often than not means for me I have a tree that has fallen against a good one and is chafing away the bark. You have a lot of tamarack as do I, it's nice to have a extra burst of colour from the tamaracks and oaks late fall after the rest has fallen. Fun fact around here nobody calls em tamaracks, it's "heckmatack"
A1

Gere Flewelling

Don't listen to what the trees say.  Most are knotty!  :D
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Jeff

Occasionally you hear someone here call them 
Hackmatacks.

We lost some beautiful trees, around 200 of them when we had an eastern larch beetle infestation. 

This vid is from 2010.
MOV02402 - YouTube

Nothin wrong with being a little knotty on occasion.  :D

hacknchop

When  the trees talk to me, I tell Rhonda and she calls the doctor who adjusts my medications and that makes them stop,Hang in there Jeff.:)
Often wrong never indoubt

grabber green

Not only will they talk ,but they also will physically assault you . They have sent me to the emergency room a few times. I guess they don't like being cut down and sold for money. ;D

BradMarks

Don't worry about the trees talking, it's when you start answering that it's time to get out of the woods. That's what I did.

Ed_K

There's a paperback book by Peter Wohlleben " The Hidden Life of Trees " that'll explain in great detail the how's an why's trees talk.
Ed K

upnut

Ah yes, I remember sitting in a deer blind near Ewen (early 70's) thinking it was so quiet it almost hurt your ears, then the ravens and trees would start talking....reverberates into your soul! Then a fighter jet out of Kincheloe AFB would do a fly-by and bring you back to reality... :D

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Tacotodd

I sure do like the trees moaning while I'm on the deer stand while nothing else is moving. It lets me know that I don't (or at least shouldn't) have a care in the world (at that time). It's been some time since I've been in that situation, but it's still nice to remember. I sure do miss those days, but the passage of time is real :-[
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

I here those sounds a lot in old cedar stands, trees rubbing on trees in there. Cedar grows thick. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jimbarry

Quote from: HemlockKing on November 03, 2021, 07:37:48 AM
That sound drives me nuts(trees squeeking), more often than not means for me I have a tree that has fallen against a good one and is chafing away the bark. You have a lot of tamarack as do I, it's nice to have a extra burst of colour from the tamaracks and oaks late fall after the rest has fallen. Fun fact around here nobody calls em tamaracks, it's "heckmatack"
AKA hackamatack, larch or juniper in our neck of the woods. :) 

jimbarry

Quote from: BradMarks on November 03, 2021, 11:18:30 AM
Don't worry about the trees talking, it's when you start answering that it's time to get out of the woods. That's what I did.
Its when you hollar out and they bark back...  :o;D

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: jimbarry on November 06, 2021, 09:02:46 AM
Quote from: HemlockKing on November 03, 2021, 07:37:48 AM
AKA hackamatack, larch or juniper in our neck of the woods. :)
Looks like we both spelled it wrong lol 
I use tamarack, the older folk around seem to use the hackmatack term, I have never heard juniper 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on November 05, 2021, 05:35:28 PM
I sure do like the trees moaning while I'm on the deer stand while nothing else is moving. It lets me know that I don't (or at least shouldn't) have a care in the world (at that time). It's been some time since I've been in that situation, but it's still nice to remember. I sure do miss those days, but the passage of time is real :-[
For me it's this whiz sound of the air blowing through the pine needles, the leaves, and Canada's boreal background music; chickadees!
A1

thecfarm

Looks like you enjoy your land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I absolutely do Ray. I finished up a video yesterday on starting to re establish my east property line. There is two fences that have weathered away, one being stone, the other was cedar post and wire.  If I want to upload it, ill have to get everything charged up, and head for lake huron until I get a full cell signal, then itll take about 40 minutes.   If I do it from the cabin, it would take 10 or 12 hours and I won't have the ability to do anything but that internet wise until its done.  Its hard to share stuff from here.:)

SwampDonkey

I know as fall progresses and the aspen still have leaves, the wind makes a welcoming sound as the leaves quake in the wind. These happen to be large tooth.  ;D

The sound of aspen leaves in the wind - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!