iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Batteries.

Started by customsawyer, November 29, 2021, 06:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I have found that batteries now days don't give much warning when they are going bad. When they do give you some warning you better get them changed. Went out the other morning and got on the forklift. Moved a pack of  lumber and shut it off. Went to crank it again and battery was dead in less than 5 minuets. A couple of months ago I drove my truck home, with diesel engine and two batteries. I parked in my normal spot and went in the house. I come out the next morning and the batteries were so dead the didn't have enough juice to unlock the doors. Nether time did they drag, crank slow or give any warning.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Crusarius

With the extreme demand on electrical components on new vehicles and equipment its no wonder they die so quickly. I have noticed the same thing.

I worked for a solenoid / valve company for quite a while and the company kept insisting on making everything electric. That's great, no more hydraulic oils and parasitic loss. However! now you still have the same charging system trying to run a bunch more electrical components. I kept saying if they really wanted to be innovative and get a jump on things they should be developing better charging technologies. 

Bruno of NH

Same thing in my 2007 Gmc 
I have put so many batteries in that thing.
All the auto tecs say it's got some low battery sensor that saves the computer.
The only thing that fixes it is a fresh one.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

Im on borrowed time now with 2 of my machine batteries.
Our climate gets pretty severe in the winter, but perhaps the Georgia heat is just as bad as NY cold.
My 2007 Kubota 8540 battery is now 14-1/2 yrs old and still going.
My Kubota RTV900 is 9 yrs old.
Just lucky I guess.
I did have to replace the one in my 2014 GMC a couple of yeas ago but my 2014 Camry still has original.
Truck battery did give a reasonable warning.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

samandothers

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 29, 2021, 08:25:04 AM
Just lucky I guess.
I replaced the OEM battery in my 2007 Kubota 4240 this past summer 14 years is not bad.  The 2014 RTV500 is still the original!  I asked the dealer about getting a similar unit, he commented he'd heard that many times.

2007 GMC Duramax has an appetite for new batteries but there is something that is intermittently drawing on them to kill them I believe.

Tin Horse

Quote from: samandothers on November 29, 2021, 08:38:05 AM
Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 29, 2021, 08:25:04 AM
Just lucky I guess.
I replaced the OEM battery in my 2007 Kubota 4240 this past summer 14 years is not bad.  The 2014 RTV500 is still the original!  I asked the dealer about getting a similar unit, he commented he'd heard that many times.

2007 GMC Duramax has an appetite for new batteries but there is something that is intermittently drawing on them to kill them I believe.
My son also owned a 2007 Duramax until about 2 months ago. It would kill batteries for about the past 3 years. His boss owns a dealership and the truck spent about a week at a time hooked to a computer to determine the draw. Never could find it. It became so bad you couldn't rely on it. Bought a 2019 Durmax. Maybe now just on to newer problems.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

sealark37

Since Hillary closed the last lead smelter in this country, battery life and costs have suffered.  Harbor Freight has a handy battery/air compressor pack that has saved me twice.

YellowHammer

I keep a couple extra batteries in the shed for just this reason.  When they die, they die, and if they run down slowly, they won't hold a charge again anyway, especially if the weather is cold.  At the first hint of weakness, I drive to the shed and swap them out with a spare.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jpassardi

I keep maintainers on things that sit over winter, especially the big equipment that has a pair of $200 each batteries.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

pineywoods

Batteries are a big problem for me. My wife rides a heavy duty wheelchair all day every day. Wheelchairs are 24 volt, use 2 12 volt lead acid batteries in series. When I started replacing batteries every 3 months, I started looking at different suppliers. Chinese batteries are the worst. No such thing as US made any more. Best ones so far are made in Vietnam, but even those leave a lot to be desired. I bought a new 2004 dodge diesel truck. 2 Exide US made batteries. They lasted 16 years.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

I use Deka batteries in the mill. They are US made. Every sixth November I put a new one in. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mike_belben

Deka are excellent. Any battery will enjoy a longer service life if the acid level is maintained and a brief hot charge applied to boil off the sulfides.  
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

I had poor luck with deka, I don't know why it only laster a year but it did and they wouldn't warranty it.

The last few batteries I have gotten have been interstate. I have been very happy with them. 

Magicman

But Interstate does not manufacture batteries. 

The are three major battery manufacturers in the US.  Johnson Controls manufactures over half of the batteries in the US.  The other two manufacturers are Exide and East Penn. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

There is a local shop in Petersburg called "Battery Barn", basically they sell 12V batteries and repair starters and alternators.  Absolutely excellent folks.  My wife picked up a new battery for new to me Lull that I picked up recently and I took a look at it this evening.  No brand name on it but made in Columbia of all places.  Looks to be the same one I have bought from them multiple times and I do get good life out of them with great prices.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

I think you guys are about to HooDoo me again. My 7+ y/o old battery on my mill is acting like it is struggling now. Jim Rodgers got to talking about oil filters on 25 hp Kohler engines and the next week I nearly twisted mine in two getting it off. If my battery dies next week I'm blaming Jake! :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Well, all I know is my eyes roll really hard, like teenage daughter hard, when I hear YH talking about the weather getting cold😂
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Oh thats a serious eye roll.

Or lynn toting his winters worth of firewood in 2 arms.   ;D
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

That's not accurate, it's an almost full wheelbarrow.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 29, 2021, 10:54:29 PM
 I think you guys are about to HooDoo me again. My 7+ y/o old battery on my mill is acting like it is struggling now. Jim Rodgers got to talking about oil filters on 25 hp Kohler engines and the next week I nearly twisted mine in two getting it off. If my battery dies next week I'm blaming Jake! :D

You will have to take a number and get in a very long line if you are going to blame me for anything.
I just remember that a battery would start to drag for a few starts or a bunch before they would die. Now they don't seem to give much notice. One minute they work and the next they don't. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Typically the old 6 volt batteries would give you a warning but no so with 12 volt batteries.  You sometime get one warning and if you are not paying attention, your second chance is "dead in the water".  :-X

I guess that referring to 6 volt batteries is seriously dating "my" battery.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: barbender on November 29, 2021, 11:25:29 PM
Well, all I know is my eyes roll really hard, like teenage daughter hard, when I hear YH talking about the weather getting cold😂
It's painfully cold at 44° this morning, I think I'll stay inside and watch Swamp Loggers, until this cold snap goes away.

Even my truck doesn't like the cold, it threw a glow plug error code yesterday, probably the first time its been on since last year.  I had to use the steering wheel heater yesterday!

Brrrrrr  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 30, 2021, 07:32:38 AM
Quote from: barbender on November 29, 2021, 11:25:29 PM
It's painfully cold at 44° this morning, I think I'll stay inside and watch Swamp Loggers, until this cold snap goes away.

Even my truck doesn't like the cold, it threw a glow plug error code yesterday, probably the first time its been on since last year.  I had to use the steering wheel heater yesterday!

Brrrrrr  

You are killing me. 21 here this morning and if it wasn't overcast it would be a lovely day. Given the heavy cloud cover it's a bit damp and snotty. I feel your pain man. Deepest sympathies, bless your heart.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Many many a battery was killed by a starter with a carbon'd up commutator. Any streaks across the piano keys is fouling the magnetic field.  Electro-magnetically speaking here, the donkey is getting a nibble of the carrot on the stick so he doesnt strain so hard to get to the carrot. 

Little sandpaper will feel like doubling the battery output. 

Praise The Lord

kantuckid

Quote from: Magicman on November 29, 2021, 08:58:26 PM
But Interstate does not manufacture batteries.  

The are three major battery manufacturers in the US.  Johnson Controls manufactures over half of the batteries in the US.  The other two manufacturers are Exide and East Penn.
Magicman nailed it! 
I buy batteries based on the combo of rating and price. 
As for no warnings-thats a matter of how the batteries used such as vibration factors and other environment questions. Having certain batteries on a proper tender helps too. 
My old Kioti tractor had an Interstate that lasted a tad over 10 years. My Branson has an OE installed Interstate as well-I'll be happy with the typical 5-7 yrs a battery gives. My F-150 PU truck, delivered as a new order in March 2015 got a new Walmart battery this year and thats pretty typical. They are the cheapest battery I know of for common batteries. AP's box stores sell off older shelf stock batteries at mark downs and a good value if you can find one in this crazy marketplace? 
In the 1950's when golf carts came into use, I was a golf caddy master in high school. Those old tiller style carts were part of my role working for the golf pro and each nite I hooked up the chargers. They were just as unpredictable then as they are now- they die when they're ready.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!