iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

it really smells bad!!!!

Started by timcosby, June 01, 2006, 09:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timcosby

pulled a 19" pine that i had in my pond for about 6 months. it was one of four that sank and did not float.
the layer under the bark smells to high heaven and is staining the adjacent wood red. went to the mill today and could smell the stench from 150' away (it drew flies!)and this was just one log that was cut up. went swimming today and the log that are floating do not have this smell that i can tell.

Tom

That smell will go away.  Have no fear. :D

I've cut some pretty odoriferous sunken wood and, in the end, never regretted it.  :P :)

dad2nine

You sure that log is not hollow and a cat fish crawled up in there and died? ::)

rebocardo

Yes, I have seen those pine before, they stink so bad you can smell them 100 feet away and they do attract a load of flies. Actually, it is pretty gross because the bark oozes stuff and makes you gag while the flies are sucking it up and laying eggs in it. I have avoided cutting them down, I don't know if I could stand making boards out of them and be eating the dust.

Snag

When I read the title of the post I figured you would be talking about poplar.  Man that stuff plain stinks...... :o

Tom

I don't think the smell developed in a standing tree, but rather, in the water of the pond.  It's common for submerged logs to smell as the sugars in the cambium deteriorate, the bark will turn loose from the wood and what is left is the remnants of the cambium as well as any algae or silt that that adheres to the log.   The smell, in all instances I have experienced, will go away. 

It is common practice to submerge logs in water for preservation and protection from attacking insects.  :)

timcosby

yea ther was no smell when the tree was cut down.

Thank You Sponsors!