iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Tried, But Couldn't Do It.

Started by DR_Buck, July 20, 2015, 08:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Got home from the office this evening with plans to catch up on some milling.   Changed my cloths and walked out to the barn, looked at the mill and broke out in a heavy sweat.     smiley_sweat_drop      It was 95º and 75% humidity.    smiley_sun    Even with my 4 foot barn fan blowing on me I had to quit after only about 100 bf of some 4/4 Magnolia from small logs.    It will have to wait until another day.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dr. Buck......you sawed more than I did today.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

I milled 110 bf of small cherry the other day and went through 2 sets of clothes - one cutting and another when I went back out after cooling off to stack it. I have 3 large maple logs on/at the mill I think I may cut early in the morning then 700 bf or so of hickory to cut on Thursday. Plan to start at 0700 Thursday and hope the finish by 1000 or so. Client wants thick slabs so hopefully will cut fast.

It does not take long to get dehydrated out there. Be careful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fishfighter

No way in the world to saw anything here it's so hot.

bandmiller2

Its prudent to lay low in this heat, especially for us older fellas. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Not only is this old man not sawing, I am trying not to even breath very hard.   smiley_sweat_drop
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

Cooled down nicely here in drought ridden SW Washington. It was 94 last Saturday.  We didn't hit 80 today.  Still too dry, though.  I sawed up the last of a bunch of western red cedar tops that busted off and hit the ground in the past ten years.  Most were from the year (I can't remember exactly what year that was) when we had hurricane force winds three times in November and December.  The local way of putting it:  "What they call a hurricane somewhere else, we call, 'just another crappy day in paradise'."  Western red cedar tends to lose its tops in those kinds of blows.  Western hemlock usually uproots, but sometimes breaks off down low.  Sitka spruce can lose its tops too, or uproot.  But the Douglas firs just keep standing.  They seem to take it and endure.  This is in these here hills.  Doug firs will tip over down in the flatlands. 

So, for my next stint, I think I change rake angle and go after some wild cherry and and some really fat American chestnut limbs that came down last summer.  I'm in danger of getting caught up on the logs I have on the site.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Left Coast Chris

Thanks to those not sawing.  Now I don't feel so bad  :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

deadfall

I remember Redding, CA, my first time there, when I was ten years old in 1957.  We were going fishing at Shasta and stopped for gas and bait on old US 99, and it was 95 degrees at 11:00 at night.  You got some of the hottest hot there. 
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

beenthere

:)  I also remember Redding, CA in summer of '60. 112° and blistering hot air even when moving down the highway at 60 mph with the windows down. Will never forget.. couldn't wait to get to the ocean with the idea we'd jump in... but that was about 50° and had no interest when we finally got to the Pacific.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

StimW

It's been miserable here for weeks! I've seen 102* actual!  It was 98* Sunday. Don't need no stinking index.
What I hate is when I go to "P" and nothing comes out but steam and a little bit of dust!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

YellowHammer

My wife and I sawed two loads of these walnut up, as well as some customer logs this weekend and I am still feeling it.  The only place I could cool down was in the tractor cab with the ac on high.  We tried starting early, but it didn't make any difference. 
My retail customers really suffered, I had to get my daughter to make an emergency run to the local Quickee Mart to get another case of bottled water.  I hand it out for free, and the customers were guzzling it, which is just fine with me.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

East ky logging

Miserable here to. Hot,humid and rain rain rain. To wet to log much so been trying to saw a little but when your soaking wet with sweat just filling the mill up with gas you know it's going to be bad.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

fishfighter

Quote from: StimW on July 20, 2015, 11:17:44 PM

What I hate is when I go to "P" and nothing comes out but steam and a little bit of dust!

Just a normal day for me, even taking a ton of Lasix every day. Oh, I'm limited to only 1500 CC's of fluid a day = to about 6 , 8 oz cups, but with the heat, I been cheating some.

Chuck White

We shut down early yesterday too.

The temp was approaching 90° and the humidity was right at 85%.

If it wasn't for the distance, I would saw from about 7:00-10:00AM and break until around 5:00 and go until dark!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Cedarman

I thankfully put 6"of insulation over the ceiling in the mill.  Have several large fans blowing where needed.  Guys haven't missed a beat this summer.  7 to 3:30.  Was gone all last week to caving convention in Mo.  Very very hot there.  Caves are cool.  Buildings are cool.  Worked all yesterday afternoon at mill marking and moving logs.  Drank lots of water, clothes sticky, but kept going until 7 last night.  Will admit I was in the house for couple hours around dinner doing paper work.
Would not like sawing in the sun at all.  Like most of you, find other things to do.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Larry

What's a sawmill?

Yesterday I went kayaking in the lake.  We found a cave that one can paddle into for about a 100' but than there is a sharp bend that the kayak can't get around so you have to back out.  Temperature must have been around 60 degrees.

I betcha few hundred years ago the Indians spent July and August in this cave.  To pass the time they played games on there Indian Phones. ;D

Yes Cederman, caves are cool.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Sixacresand

While it is hot, I set a goal of making cants out of three logs per day.  I quit after the second one this morning.     
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

My goal today was to reach no goals.  I succeeded.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Did a job yesterday with the Lucas mill, sawing up a good size red oak.  Started setting up about 7AM.  Finished the job 3 1/2 hours later.  Full sun and no breeze.  I was so beat I went back this morning to pick up the mill.
     Got another one to do tomorrow with the same mill, slabbing 2 logs.  I'm not looking forward to it.  It's just too Dang hot!  But it's the last job I'll do for at least 3 weeks, so I guess I can live with it.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

The trouble with making your living with a mill is that I have to cut in this heat every day.  :'(
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Andy White

Rethinking my job priorities
The highs this week have been hovering at 97° with high humidity. This renders this fat boy to do very little outdoors. The grass is not growing, and that is a good thing. Building some small projects in the shop, feels good with the A/C on 74°.The walk from the house to the shop is a real killer, so I stay in the shop until lunch. After lunch, is nap time, Three o clock is back to shop for a little finish up, and prep for the next days work. At five o clock, turn the fans off, the air up to 78°, and lock up. Man, this retirement is a tough job, but if I would have known how much fun it is, I'd have done it years ago!! Y'all stay cool and be safe!    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

4x4American

Truck n trailer lookin good, YH!
Quote from: YellowHammer on July 20, 2015, 11:19:34 PM
My wife and I sawed two loads of these walnut up, as well as some customer logs this weekend and I am still feeling it.  The only place I could cool down was in the tractor cab with the ac on high.  We tried starting early, but it didn't make any difference. 
My retail customers really suffered, I had to get my daughter to make an emergency run to the local Quickee Mart to get another case of bottled water.  I hand it out for free, and the customers were guzzling it, which is just fine with me.

ruck n trailer lookin good, YH
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Truck n trailer lookin good, YH!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!