iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

metal detectors

Started by hogdogman, February 18, 2014, 09:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Bought a new detector today, I had intensions of buying a Garrett super scanner V wand that our brother ET recommended. Their senior man Moe spent some time with me and showed me something a little different from "Treasure Products Detectors", called the vibra-tector its a small light hand held water proof and good to 100 feet under water if you have a flooding problem around the mill. Cost is $145.00 American made. It had a 4" detector coil and will pick up small stuff like nails better than a wand. The best thing is theirs no adjustment its on or off. The handle vibrates and a light will indicate any metal so if its noisy you can feel it. Other than playing with nails I haven't used it yet will give a report after I use it a wile. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

That vibra-tector reads like a very usable metal detecting option Frank.  LINK

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ET

MM, thanks for that link. Frank, let us know how it works for when I drop mine. Also that waterproof option is a good one. As I left my Garrett attached to the mill and it got substantially rained on. It quit working for a week but next to the wood burner it finally dried out and started working just fine. I just now need not to forget to take it indoors. When my barn is completed it wont be a problem.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Barney II

Good afternoon,  You want to be  careful when you have a detector that you can set the discrimination,  so that you don.t  set it too high and then you will not find the deeper nails ---if at all.  Most (not  all) newer detectors are built with the idea that you do not want to find nails --when you are coin hunting.  The older detectors do not have that much discrimination built in so they might be a better bet for finding nails.  The wand type also might be a better bet as they are programmed to find all metals---especially steel.  Have been at this metal detecting for 30 plus years and I use an old sears model from yesteryears to go over my logs  ;D ;D    Be sure to dead the directions and when they tell you how to set the discrimination, just do the opposite :D :D :D :D  Yes I know there some set up to find steel but in general they will cost as much as the mill. Not really but they are a specialized item.  I only use Whites and Fisher not that they are any better, just worked out that way------Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

bandmiller2

Don, I understand what your saying, I have two expensive detectors but their too complicated and awkward to use. My last one was an el-cheapo but simple and worked good. This vibra-tector has no adjustments sees any metal. Its worth a try if it catches one piece of metal in the path of my 48" saw its well worth what I paid. Frank C.

hunz

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 20, 2014, 09:03:44 PM
Quote from: Magicman on February 20, 2014, 07:57:28 PM
I have been kinda wanting a metal detector for finding lost stuff so after reading several of the above posts, I ordered a Garrett Ace 250 today.   :)

This is great! Now MM, don't go getting that treasure hunting bug as well....I am finding there aren't enough hours in a day to do both! :D

smiley_thumbsup :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

devil dog

I just ordered a garrett ace 350. Hope it saves me a blade or two.  Looking for lost treasure is a side benefit.

LAZERDAN

Devil Dog
   Nice you tube Ad and advertising ,one of the best i've seen and thats a complement.    Lazerdan

Magicman

The Ace 250 came today. 

The owner's manual and instructional DVD made the buttons and options easy to understand.  Tomorrow morning I'm gonna go out in the back yard and locate that pot of gold.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on February 24, 2014, 09:33:11 PM
The Ace 250 came today. 

The owner's manual and instructional DVD made the buttons and options easy to understand.  Tomorrow morning I'm gonna go out in the back yard and locate that pot of gold.   ;D

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

I have a big Bounty Hunter detector that works well but was awkward I bought for $10.00. Did some modding to make it handier. Cut off the cradle that fits under your forearm and shortened the tube, its now a little over 2' with a pistol grip easy to use.  My logs awaiting milling are on HD wooden horses about waste hight and handy to check. If I detect anything I will zoom in with the vibra-tector to determine size and depth. Well it sounds good anyways. Frank C.

21incher

I hate to admit it but I purchased one of the junky Harbor Freight ones. With a 25% off coupon it was less then $40.00. I removed the arm support and cut the down tube to about a foot so it fits in my toolbox. For the amount of milling I do it seems to work fine. It already has found some drywall screws in a log and saved me a blade. The only problem is it only will find small items a couple of inches down so you have to scan every couple of slices. I needed one in a hurry and that was the only one I could find locally but the way I see it if it saves 1 more blade it is paid for.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

swampbuggy

Quote from: 21incher on February 25, 2014, 07:47:08 AM
I hate to admit it but I purchased one of the junky Harbor Freight ones. With a 25% off coupon it was less then $40.00. I removed the arm support and cut the down tube to about a foot so it fits in my toolbox. For the amount of milling I do it seems to work fine. It already has found some drywall screws in a log and saved me a blade. The only problem is it only will find small items a couple of inches down so you have to scan every couple of slices. I needed one in a hurry and that was the only one I could find locally but the way I see it if it saves 1 more blade it is paid for.

I bought a HF one too. It works great for me. Most of my logs are from someone's back yard and I scan all my logs! I hate hitting metal! I have found that lowering the sensitivity helps on the mill. If off the mill, I turn it up. And for $40.00 it has already paid for itself a dozen times. But you do have to use it! Dan
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Magicman

It can only get better because the first thing that I found was a pull tab.   ;D

The Bounty Hunter "Nail Finder" seems to be OK, but I will not know until I use the sawmill blade to find another nail to test it on.   :D

Thank You Sponsors!