iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latest Addition to the Sawmill Fleet!

Started by Lawg Dawg, November 13, 2018, 11:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

I've never really been a Ford man...but I just couldn't turn this one down!  2016 F150, 4x4, extended cab, XLT, 5.0. None of that fancy navigation stuff to distract my driving, good enough for me!  How much can I tow with this truck?  LT-40?  :D

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

moosehunter

You can tow one LT40 or two Chevys and a Dodge.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

No self respecting Dodge would ever let itself be towed by a Ford. :-[ :-[ :-[
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Pickup towing capacity is determined by how it's configured.  It can be a challenge to figure it out, but you better.  Check to see if it's got a transmission cooler for starters.  

Some of 'em won't tow didly.  Some will tow a lot.  Best to know what your particular truck is set up for.  
HM126

btulloh

Nice looking truck.  I think I'm getting pickup truck envy.  Problem is mine is in great shape and low mileage. 

Now let's got back to pickup truck wars!  Ford! Chevy! Dodge!  Nissan!  Toyota!  
HM126

Crusarius

I have a 15 with the max tow package and its rated to tow 13k. but I always mention 

"Just because you can. Doesn't mean you should!!!!"

catalina

Nice looking truck! At least the manufacturer circled the problem on the grill for ya. lol Just joking good and bad in all. Congratulations!

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on November 14, 2018, 10:41:23 AM
I have a 15 with the max tow package and its rated to tow 13k. but I always mention

There is always a safety factor built in the "rated" capacity. 
Most of the time when i couple onto my gooseneck, i max out my 1 tn's capacity. I may be running a bit overweight on my trailer at times, but have yet to have issues with any of the 3 goats iv owned/own. Mostly its getting traction enough to get my steam built off the starting line. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Crusarius

2015 was first year for aluminum body. so I have a 6000 pound truck instead of the normal 7000. when you put a 10k total load behind it and run through the hills it is far to scary going downhill. It pulled amazing up the hills I couldn't have imagined how good it pulls. but going downhill was an entirely different story. 

I still stand by my statement.

btulloh

I've got an F150.  It pulls good and it does what it's supposed to, but if I was towing heavy all the time I'd want a 3/4 ton.  If I was towing heavy all the time I'd be needing a new truck pretty soon anyway.  It fits my situation though.

Lawg Dawg, figure out if that truck's got the max tow package on there before you get too crazy.  

That's a nice truck.  Don't worry about the Ford haters out there.  It's mostly envy.
HM126

Crusarius

Ford does have the best cab on the market.

btulloh

HM126

Crusarius

hows that go? opinions and other parts of your anatomy?

I got both. not afraid to use them :)

goose63

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 13, 2018, 01:24:23 PM
  No self respecting Dodge would ever let itself be towed by a Ford. :-[ :-[ :-[

My wifes dodge can't pull it's oun shadow :o  ::)  :D  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Percy

I have an F150 4x4 super cab 5.0. My 3rd new consecutive ford. Some of the banter between brand loyalists can be very entertaining as long as no one gets serious...
For example, I was told by a Dodge guy, my F150 could't pull the scum offa rice pudding... :D :D :D Nuther guy said "Dodge" stands for Dumb Operator Don't Get Excited :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on November 15, 2018, 08:33:10 AM
Ford does have the best cab on the market.
I would have to agree. Our rented 2018 pilot rig, with the 6.7 diesel, sure was nice. Plenty of cab room and a lot of getty-up and go. 
Dont like the layout for dash/cab features, but it was managable. 
Temple, Tx

charles mann

Quote from: Crusarius on November 15, 2018, 07:25:10 AM
Quote from: Crusarius on November 15, 2018, 08:39:14 AM
hows that go? opinions and other parts of your anatomy?

I got both. not afraid to use them :)

If you dont do it, then how do you find the limitations? 
We are rated to lift 54,000# gross. We do it quite frequently. Just have to add a skin patch here and there, maybe change out some aluminum bulkheads for steel, or chase cracks now that we made 1 section more rigid and others still weak. But, it keeps the bills paid and a company paid singles vacation every 12 days out of 18. 
Temple, Tx

maple flats

I used to be a Chevy guy, but then my last 2 trucks have been Fords, first a 250 4x4, ran it for 120,000 miles after buying it with 80,000. 7.3 diesel, towed very well, but still a little light with a heavy load on my gooseneck, now I have an F350 4x4 with a 6.7 diesel. Does everything well, and it handles the gooseneck far better. I also do some bumper hitch trailering, does that well too, like when hooked to a dump trailer.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Lawg Dawg

Might as well throw this dog in da fight!  :D

John Deere is by FAR THE BEST TRACTOR!

I acquired this little unit last week also!  8)

Wonder what it's towing capacity is?  :P :D

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Crusarius

alan gage

Haven't seen a lot of those newer 5.0 Fords come through the shop yet but we smile every time we open the hood. Well laid out engine compartment that looks easy to work on. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

samandothers

Alan, good to hear.  I had to replace a side marker light on my Fusion.  I had to remove the whole front end cover to pull the head light assembly!  All this for 2 bulbs. Seemed a bit much for something that house 4 bulbs per side. I done whining.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: alan gage on November 15, 2018, 10:18:21 PM
Haven't seen a lot of those newer 5.0 Fords come through the shop yet but we smile every time we open the hood. Well laid out engine compartment that looks easy to work on.

Alan
Reminds me of a couple years ago when I rented a F-150.   I opened the hood to have a look and my first thought was "where is the engine?".  :D :D :D  I'm used to a 7.3L psd.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JB Griffin

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on November 15, 2018, 03:07:30 PM
Might as well throw this dog in da fight!  :D

I acquired this little unit last week also!  8)

Wonder what it's towing capacity is?  :P :D

Way more than a Chevy, a little more than a Dodge, and way less than a Ford.  ;D

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

thecfarm

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on November 15, 2018, 03:07:30 PM
Might as well throw this dog in da fight!  :D

I acquired this little unit last week also!  8)

Wonder what it's towing capacity is?  :P :D

Not to concerned about the towing capacity on The Farm,but what about hauling capacity. ;)  One of my rocks could be a test for it. ;D I have many that I can not move with my 40hp NH. I betcha that JD could get them out of my way. Just need a big enough chain for the test. :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

thecfarm

I might need 2 two of them. :D
My Father had the lower end of one of the fields done. I have no idea the size of the dozer,but it pushed the rocks to the edge of the woods. There is about 100' by 1000' that is rock free. Well rocks that don't need to be mowed aound,is what I mean. They use to plant corn in that area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!