iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees from Cindy's woods #15

Started by GW, August 18, 2007, 08:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

I'm going with Red Mulberry. I read that RM is listed as an endangered species in Canada, and is also threatened in the United States. This tree is barely 4 inches dbh, but I think I've seen larger specimens on our place. Like with the Swamp Tupelo I don't see any fruit developing. This tree is under a fairly thick canopy so I guess that would limit the fruit. If this is a Mulberry I would like to release it and try to get some fruit for the birds (and me).  ;)

Mike_Barcaskey

I'd agree with you
around here there's no shortage of them, almost like weeds once they establish
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

tim1234

Do ya get berries on that type.  Mulberries are soooo sweet.  If you can pick enough of them and keep from eatin them long enough you can make an awsome pie! 
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

GW

The info I found said this variety has sweet berries.

I grew up in Northern Illinois and my friend's family had a Mulberry on their property. I don't know what type of MB it was but I spent hours at a time in that tree with my buddy, eating berries until we were half purple. Mulberries are my favorite berry I think.

metalspinner

Is that a sassafrass leaf in the first pic?

By the looks of your fingertips it seems you were sampling some berries. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

GW

No metalspinner, that's one of the leaves on this tree, but there is some sassafras here.

My fingers are stained from marking leave trees with blue paint. I diluted tinted latex primer with water and I'm spraying it with a pump sprayer. I was unclogging it by hand until I realized I could just whip the wand on a tree... :o

Riles

Yup, Red mulberry, Morus rubra. Leaves can be very similar to sassafras, the easiest way to tell is to crush the leaf and smell it.

Sounds like you have a male tree, no berries. I wouldn't consider mulberry threatened in the US, it's not hard finding them in the south at least.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

GW

I'm going to have to get my Mulberry boy a girlfriend! :)

I read that Red Mulberry is on the endangered list in Canada and that it's threatened in some areas of the US.

Only a few of the lower leaves on this tree have any lobes at all.

WDH

All the mulberries are gone about the end of May, so no way to tell now if it is a boy or a girl.  I did a thread on mulberries earlier this late spring/early summer.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=25639.0
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

If the leaf margins were not toothed, the only other option would be 'sass'. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tim1234

How would you propogate Mulberry?  We never get sprouts so do you need a male female for the trees to propagate like some other trees.  We get plenty of berries so it can't be just the berry.

Tim

SwampDonkey

If your getting berries, then there must be male flowers to, need pollen. ;) I think mulberry can be one sex or both or neither and never flower. Fun eh? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Yes, a mulberry can change sex in mid-stride.  It is also written that it takes several years (in the neighborhood of  8 ) before a mulberry will produce berries.   Propagation is usually done by rooting cuttings from the mature tree.  I think this was covered fairly extensively in a recent thread. :)

Furby

I get mulberries sprouting from the seeds/bird droppings.
Have them popping up all over the place.
Only thing worse is the boxelder and a maple. ::)

GW

I might cut down every tree that isn't a Mulberry. :)

tim1234

Furby,

That's interesting.  We have 3 mulberry trees that are mature.  Too mature and have serious defects from storms and age.  We never get sprouts from seeds.  I'll do a search on the thread for propogating from cuttings (thansk Tom).

Tim

Furby

Well if the sprouts aren't from seeds, then I have no clue as to how they are sprouting, so I simply assume they are from seed. :)
That and the amount of colored droppings around here. ::)
Ever see what those deep colored droppings do to fresh pine window casing ??? >:( >:( >:(

tim1234

I know what they do to a lot of stuff.  How about kids running through a minefield of berries and then comming into the house :o

Tim

GW

I worked as a chef for many years and I always wished for a source of Mulberries. I guess they're just too fragile to handle/ship.

Furby

tim1234

Shipping ???, they never make it from the tree to the house ;D  Either me or my oldest usually scarf them down before we hit the front door ;)

Tim

Thank You Sponsors!